Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad Gmail settings

iPad Gmail settings
all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2010, 06:01 PM

Hi all,

I've been doing my head in trying to work out how to get the native iPad mail client to play happily with my Gmail (domain) accounts.

What I'd like seems simple:
1) IMAP support so that everything I do is reflected everywhere I view my mail.
2) When I delete an email (from anywhere), I want it to be moved to the Trash.
3) I want my draft emails to be accessible from other means of accessing my email (e.g. on the web from my MBP).
4) I don't want new labels appearing when I send or delete emails (I've had "Sent Messages" and "Delete Messages" appear since I started trying to do this.

Maybe it's the Google way of doing things that makes things tricky (and not the iPad), but there's got to be an easy way to get the above working, surely.

Before anyone mentions how lovely the iPad formatted web version is - I know It's just that occasionally it's easier still to have the more tightly integrated client handle things (attachments, that sort of thing).

Fingers crossed that someone can talk me through it.

Slight OT (though this is my post ) - on a side note, will an iPhone's settings be identical for the same results?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by all2ofme View Post
What I'd like seems simple:
1) IMAP support so that everything I do is reflected everywhere I view my mail.
2) When I delete an email (from anywhere), I want it to be moved to the Trash.
3) I want my draft emails to be accessible from other means of accessing my email (e.g. on the web from my MBP).
These are all features of IMAP.

Do you have general issues getting Gmail IMAP set up ?

Maybe start here: Getting started with IMAP for Gmail - Gmail Help

-t

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2010, 06:39 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I'm definitely using IMAP already, the issue appears to be that things sync in *almost* the way I want.

When I delete a message it's gone from the mailbox I've deleted it from, but it's appeared all on its lonesome with a label that never existed beforehand called "Deleted Messages". That sort of thing.

I'd love to find a step-by-step for getting this to work. Maybe I'm crazy wanting delete to mean delete, but I can't imagine I'm the only one out there!

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2010, 10:08 PM

Go to: Settings → Mail, Contacts, Calendars → (Your IMAP account) → Advanced → Deleted Mailbox

In the “On the Server” section, pick the folder that you think the gmail web interface is using. See if that does anything. (I’ve changed Trash/Spam/Draft settings for IMAP on several clients now, and I’m never sure when it sticks. Always seem to have a few extra folders I don’t want)

Forum Links
Forum Rules