Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Apple Support - What happens if...?

Apple Support - What happens if...?
limbovski
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2010, 03:47 PM

If you're covered by Apple Care and your machine bites the dust, they would probably repair it and return it to you.

My question is, what would be the case if they couldn't repair it, would they give you a new machine entirely?
Could this mean you might get an upgrade in theory as your machine might be outdated and irreplaceable?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by limbovski View Post
If you're covered by Apple Care and your machine bites the dust, they would probably repair it and return it to you.

My question is, what would be the case if they couldn't repair it, would they give you a new machine entirely?
Could this mean you might get an upgrade in theory as your machine might be outdated and irreplaceable?
It would have to be a fairly severe fault for apple to scrap the machne. In years past Apple Care operated a sort of three strikes rule on machines. Three major component failures and they would replace the machine with a new one. They have pretty much stopped this now and realistically will repair almost any fault.

In theory if your machine was SO faulty and also no longer made they would replace it with the nearest current equivalent, so a base spec 15in C2D MacBook Pro would return as an i5 MacBook Pro, while a top end one would come back as an i7 machine. This is however very unlikely.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2010, 05:42 PM

They will also occasionally replace a machine with a refurbished equivalent or better.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2010, 06:14 PM

If they can't fix it, of course they'd give you a new computer. But I'm guessing that they can unless it's had some sort of internal meltdown and things have exploded.

P
Jun 3, 2010, 04:05 AM

If they can't repair, they try to give you a refurb - often a slight upgrade on what you had. It does happen that they give you a new one, especially if the current model is about due for replacement.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2010, 04:45 AM

FWIW I've ended up with an (when it turns up) i7 MBP to replace a C2D 3.06.

Three strikes rule for me. They'd replaced about everything in the thing! See here if interested:
http://forums.macnn.com/69/mac-noteb...air-questions/

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2010, 11:42 AM

Last year Apple gave me a late 2008 unibody MBP to replace my early 2008 MBP after three different motherboard replacements failed to resolve the GPU lockup issue I was having.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

limbovski  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2010, 12:15 PM

I see. Just wondering thanks for the feedback.

So anything from a repair to a replacement machine is possible depending on the situation. Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules