Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Fix the actual logic board on dead macbook a1811

Fix the actual logic board on dead macbook a1811
dualamann
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2010, 05:46 AM

Accidentally posted a duplicate of this under Mac Pro. Sorry for missing the target!

I'm curious. I've googled quite a bit on how to fix my 1st generation (core duo 1.83ghz A1181) Macbook and, like many macbooks/MBA/MBP all the answers point to replacing the logic board.

I'd like to keep this around the house as a backup / second mac.

Here's the question - has anyone actually fixed the actual logic board themselves? What's the general how-to involved to figure what needs to be done? Is there a guide or older posts that anyone could point me to?

Much obliged,
D

P
Jun 22, 2010, 06:36 AM

Your post in the Mac Pro forum has been deleted.

Fixing a motherboard comes down to what is wrong with it. One common cause is a bad electrolyte capacitor - a small barrel on the motherboard that is either bulging or leaking something. If that is your problem, then it should be immediately obvious when you find the cap, and that can actually be fixed by a handy user. Google for "bad caps replacement" for the exact procedure, but essentially you need to buy a capacitor with identical spec, unsolder the old one and resolder the new one in its place. While not exactly easy, it is doable if you have the tools.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2010, 12:08 AM

ifixit.com is a great place to go for logicboards and for guides on how to replace them.

That being said, the cost of buying a logicboard is not much different from the cost of a replacement MacBook with the same specs. You might be able to luck out and pull a logicboard from another busted machine for cheaper, but I doubt it.

How do you know that the logicboard is the issue?

Cubie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2010, 08:27 AM

The last poster is exactly correct. I had a logic board replaced by Apple and it was about 1/2 the cost of a new computer. That said, getting the logic board will be the hardest if not the impossible part. Apple will not sell you one that I know of. Then there is always the question of whether or not it's worth it to you, and is that the only thing wrong for sure. I believe the warranty was 90 days.

osiris24x
Jun 30, 2010, 06:29 PM

I'd be curious to know what problem the Mac is having in the first place.

I've done dozens of logic board replacements (not repairs) using iFixit's online repair guides. I buy the boards on eBay and it takes around 3 hours to do if it's your first time. Just go slowly and read the guides thoroughly and you should be fine. I recommend using ice cube trays to keep the screws in order.

Good luck!
Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
PDXMacRepair.com

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 30, 2010, 06:39 PM

Agreed, we can't really suggest fixes if we don't know the symptoms or events leading up to failure.

I must track down the reason my MacBook will not charge batteries.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2010, 03:59 PM

Electrolytic caps are more of an issue in desktop machines and their PSUs. Most common issue with notebook boards is probably cracked solder joints due to use of lead free brittle solder. You can try reflowing the solder on various components with a heat gun, but this is a pain to be honest and rarely works for very long.
One of the most common faults on older MacBook boards is that the MacBook fails to boot and the sleep LED stays on constantly. Sometimes you can get lucky and its RAM or firmware, but there are plenty with logic faults and I never found a fix despite plenty of trying.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Agreed, we can't really suggest fixes if we don't know the symptoms or events leading up to failure.

I must track down the reason my MacBook will not charge batteries.
Apple - Support - MacBook and MacBook Pro Battery Update - Closed

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 10, 2010, 12:14 PM

The battery is fine (tested other batteries in it, tested battery in other MacBooks), I've run the firmware updates, no go.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 10, 2010, 05:42 PM

It could be the magsafe board (most likely), the logic board (not as likely), or the cable that connects the battery to the logic board (least likely). Unfortunately without known good parts to test with, you won't be able to diagnose.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 10, 2010, 06:40 PM

Magsafe board was apparently replaced before I got the MacBook, I replaced the battery connector - with a supposed good part.

I originally meant I'd get the multimeter out and start testing components/looking up datasheets.

discodisco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2010, 07:40 PM

"What's the general how-to involved to figure what needs to be done?"

I just poked around my A1181 which lacked power on USB ports (fried power distribution ic + some tantalums). Looking up different chips and reading the datasheets and comparing the typical applications to real world is always good, like if it's dead: check isl6255 (li-ion charger) does the mosfet connected to sgate pin turn on? (ac adapter power switch) (or if not, work your way back to find a fault somewhere), then perhaps check the 3728lx 5&3,3V step down, is output voltage correct? The go on to cpu voltage regulators, do you have oscillation.. etc.. a scope helps a lot, but you can check most power supply stuff with a simple multimeter.. some of the chips have output pins for signaling faults, like the tps2042bdgn I replaced in mine, the new chip did not work at first, but I could measure the overload-condition pin to see that it was driving into a short. The caps leaked a lot more at higher voltage then my multimeter's low voltage test mode, and after replacing them all was good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules