Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Help Me Decide On a New (used) Car

Help Me Decide On a New (used) Car (Page 3)
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2010, 12:07 AM

Dually noted. Moving on to what this thread is about

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2010, 12:21 AM

I think we lost the OP.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2010, 01:13 AM

May this thread rest in pieces then.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2010, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
I know a decent amount about aero, considering how much time I've spent reading about it. My thesis project was about aerodynamics... and I've done CFD with 3d models to tweak the aero of shapes
Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
I'm not trying to be a dick, but I think you're overstepping your bounds on this topic.
Pot, kettle.
( Last edited by mduell; Oct 5, 2010 at 01:49 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 5, 2010, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Pot, kettle.
Apt call, I think.
( Last edited by ghporter; Oct 5, 2010 at 04:38 PM. )

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jersey  (op)
Senior User
Oct 5, 2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I think we lost the OP.
You didnt lose me ... just watching this devolve into the normal he said / she said that happens with any car thread around here.

But I do appreciate the info I got in the beginning.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 5, 2010, 10:47 AM

Well, you have about 6 days and 11 hours to get more good info.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by jersey View Post
You didnt lose me ... just watching this devolve into the normal he said / she said that happens with any car thread around here.

But I do appreciate the info I got in the beginning.
Oh good

So what are your thoughts regarding the actual conversation on page one?

jersey  (op)
Senior User
Oct 5, 2010, 08:24 PM

So what are your thoughts regarding the actual conversation on page one?
My thoughts are that nothing I've looked at is the right choice after doing more research. I'm looking harder at the Fiesta since I can get Ford A/X plan. Funny thing is that I've never even seen one on the road - and living in New York, it seems like I should have.

While I still feel the Fit is one of the ugliest cars I've ever considered buying, it too fits the needs and has the dependability I'm looking for.

I still find it frustrating that some cars that are considered "small" are only 10 or so inches shorter than a Ford Ranger.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2010, 09:46 PM

I have 2 friends that have Fiestas and they love it.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2010, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by cjrivera View Post
I have 2 friends that have Fiestas and they love it.
Your math isn’t sound my friend.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2010, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by jersey View Post
My thoughts are that nothing I've looked at is the right choice after doing more research. I'm looking harder at the Fiesta since I can get Ford A/X plan. Funny thing is that I've never even seen one on the road - and living in New York, it seems like I should have.

While I still feel the Fit is one of the ugliest cars I've ever considered buying, it too fits the needs and has the dependability I'm looking for.

I still find it frustrating that some cars that are considered "small" are only 10 or so inches shorter than a Ford Ranger.
The Fiesta isn't out much on the roads because of difficulty getting the cars to the US from Mexico. The hurricanes this year destroyed many of the railways that Ford uses. As of now, they have been restored, but the high volume of pre-orders (5k) gets first dibs, and most of those were high-spec SES hatches. So most dealers only have SE sedans and hatches in stock. The lots should be stocking up quickly though, and you'll see more on the road.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2010, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
Your math isn’t sound my friend.
My math is ok... my pronoun usage not so much.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2010, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Well, you have about 6 days and 11 hours to get more good info.
Not any more. He must have circumvented the ban because "banned" turned into "banninated." Thing is... I can't find any evidence of it like there is usually. Oh well... he'll be back, as usual.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2010, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
Dually
Damn fine idea.

All these little cars are death traps.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2010, 07:11 PM

Ha, what on Earth could you fit in the back of that thing that would warrant dual tires? Depleted Uranium?

Same goes for any truck with a pickup bed and dualies, there is just no need unless you are moving up to flatbed and/or dumping beds.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Ha, what on Earth could you fit in the back of that thing that would warrant dual tires? Depleted Uranium?
Amerikkkan chicks.
And British chicks.
Same goes for any truck with a pickup bed and dualies, there is just no need unless you are moving up to flatbed and/or dumping beds.
What's "need" got to do with it? Are you standing in for Rob while he's gone or something?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 6, 2010, 07:56 PM

What about towing capacity?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 6, 2010, 08:19 PM

Take a look at what's pulling "5th wheel" travel trailers. The big ones have the same kind of fittings (only smaller) as semi trailers. And the most common tow vehicle I've seen around here has been a full-sized (often F-250 sized) pickups with dual rear wheels. Traction, braking, weight handling. That is a great reason to put dualies on a truck.

But on a Suburban? With that "tow ball receiver?" I would have to wonder what he's towing with that, 'cause it ain't a 5th wheel...

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2010, 08:26 PM

Ford Fiestas. Lots of 'em.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2010, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Take a look at what's pulling "5th wheel" travel trailers. The big ones have the same kind of fittings (only smaller) as semi trailers. And the most common tow vehicle I've seen around here has been a full-sized (often F-250 sized) pickups with dual rear wheels. Traction, braking, weight handling. That is a great reason to put dualies on a truck.
The F-250 isn't available in a dually, only the 350 and 450.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 7, 2010, 07:18 AM

The F-250 isn't available in a dually, only the 350 and 450.
I stand corrected, though I've seen a couple of what must have been custom rigs that were labeled 250 and had dual rears. I'd think that a 350 would be a better towing platform anyway...

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2010, 10:16 AM

Just as I thought - even when towing conventionally, dualies offer increased towing capacity.

One interesting thing to note is that with the base 5.4 engine, dualies actually decrease towing capacity, both ball-and-hitch and 5th-wheel towing. The added weight of the extra wheels/other modifications decreases towing capacity, if only by a couple hundred pounds.

But on a Suburban? With that "tow ball receiver?" I would have to wonder what he's towing with that, 'cause it ain't a 5th wheel...
With the right engine, you can tow 15,000 pounds worth of whatever in a conventional ball and hitch configuration.

I stand corrected, though I've seen a couple of what must have been custom rigs that were labeled 250 and had dual rears.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 7, 2010, 11:39 AM

With the right engine, you can tow 15,000 pounds worth of whatever in a conventional ball and hitch configuration.
But not a 5th wheel, which requires a different sort of hitch:

Custom shops will put dual rear wheels on just about anything. I have honestly seen an S10 and a Ranger with dual rear wheels. Yes, they were pretty odd looking. But to have someone get his F250 customized isn't much of a stretch of the imagination...

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2010, 11:46 AM

Custom shops will put dual rear wheels on just about anything.
..Even Suburbans!
Guess where the pic is from.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2010, 11:47 AM

But not a 5th wheel, which requires a different sort of hitch:
Yes, I know what a 5th wheel is. What I'm saying is that there actually might be a legitimate reason to put duallies on a Suburban.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2010, 11:47 AM

I suppose you could, but you shouldn't. If you get in a wreck and overloaded your truck and hitch, you'll be quite sorry. And if somebody dies in that wreck, you'll face criminal charges.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2010, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
..Even Suburbans!
Guess where the pic is from.
DuallyfendersUSA.com?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2010, 11:49 AM

I suppose you could, but you shouldn't. If you get in a wreck and overloaded your truck and hitch, you'll be quite sorry. And if somebody dies in that wreck, you'll face criminal charges.
Remind me again why you shouldn't do something the manufacturer says that you can do.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2010, 12:44 PM

Remind me again why you shouldn't do something the manufacturer says that you can do.
All you said is the right engine, you didn't mention any manufacturer's ratings at all, so I assumed you could have been referring to something like a 6.2L 1500 Silverado which is certainly not rated to pull 15,000 lbs.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2010, 12:54 PM

All you said is the right engine, you didn't mention any manufacturer's ratings at all, so I assumed you could have been referring to something like a 6.2L 1500 Silverado which is certainly not rated to pull 15,000 lbs.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2010, 01:06 PM

I meant Suburban, but my point is the same. Thanks for your well thought out response. You provided no context at all, instead making a generalized statement that is certainly not true unless you make qualifications, which I am happy to do.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2010, 01:57 PM

Ah, I guess you weren't following the conversation. Makes sense that you'd think that then.

Forum Links
Forum Rules