Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Palin kid Facebook brawl

Palin kid Facebook brawl
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2010, 11:35 PM

I'd post the pics here, but there are several of them:

Willow Palin Facebook Posts: Homophobic Slurs, Curse Words & More (PHOTOS)

The kids don't seem all that bright, even as teenagers. It's kind of unfair that we expect the kids of successful people to be impressive, I know, but it's also disappointing when they seem oh so average at best.

To be fair to the Palin's (I know I'm going to get the usual sort of backlash here) it would be interesting to somehow compare the kids of other successful people in history, be it other politicians, leaders, inventors, artists, etc. It must be hard to be the kid of somebody in the limelight like Palin is, and I'm sure it is not uncommon that the kids disappoint. I wonder what the ratio would be of loser kids vs. kids that continue the genetic pool of excellence in some area or continued success of some sort?

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2010, 11:52 PM

It looks about right as a typical reaction from a teenager who is being mocked by a peer.

I don't see the problem.

Effeminizing teen males with comments like that tends to be a proven and effective way to get a rise out of the target among that age group. You can over analyze it if you wish, and the politically correct will, but its pretty standard fair in this world. Its going to come from 90% of kids that age whether they are a Palin, Kennedy or an Astor.

If you were a more enlightened or sensitive child at their age and voiced such judgement about your peers speaking this way I'd expect you would have been the recipient of several ass kickings.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2010, 11:58 PM

Heh, I guess I'm just completely out of touch then... You could be right, I just don't remember talking like that as a teenager, I'm 33 years old. Still, it would have been cool if she rose above all of this MySpaceyness.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2010, 12:03 AM

Reading it context, I don't think it was homophobic, just kids being stupid. My brain hurts after reading that, though.

Besson, fix your damn apostrophe. And get off my lawn.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2010, 12:25 AM

I don't think it was homophobic either, unless you want to be consistent about labeling the words "faggot" and "gay" in a derogatory way as homophobic. As much as it would be nice if those words were discontinued when used in a derogatory fashion, I'm not going to play word police.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2010, 03:48 AM

Big deal.

Just a bunch of retards.

There, I said it.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2010, 04:14 AM

Funny, I didn't even know Palin has two teenage daughters.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2010, 04:35 AM

I'm gonna play the race card: calling someone a f*gg*t is just as inexcusable as calling someone a n*gg*r. No one would excuse a 16 year old for using the second, so why the first? Also, a 16 old can be held accountable for murder or theft, so why not their own words?

I don't have much respect for Palin, but if she properly condemns this kind of talk from her kids, she might gain a bit of respect from me. Of course, we already know you can call people r*t*rd if you're a conservative radio mouthpiece, but not if you're Obama's CoS, so we should expect a self-serving excuse for her daughter's language, too. Yeah, she's just a kid, we all did stupid things at 16, but her mom should give her the smack she deserves.

I know South Park tried to "take back" the word fag on their show, but I thought it was silly. Calling people f*gg*t is just the ignorant, asshole behaviour of bigots. We should be teaching our children to be better people, and I would hope Sarah Palin does just that.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I'm gonna play the race card: calling someone a f*gg*t is just as inexcusable as calling someone a n*gg*r. No one would excuse a 16 year old for using the second, so why the first? Also, a 16 old can be held accountable for murder or theft, so why not their own words?

I don't have much respect for Palin, but if she properly condemns this kind of talk from her kids, she might gain a bit of respect from me. Of course, we already know you can call people r*t*rd if you're a conservative radio mouthpiece, but not if you're Obama's CoS, so we should expect a self-serving excuse for her daughter's language, too. Yeah, she's just a kid, we all did stupid things at 16, but her mom should give her the smack she deserves.

I know South Park tried to "take back" the word fag on their show, but I thought it was silly. Calling people f*gg*t is just the ignorant, asshole behaviour of bigots. We should be teaching our children to be better people, and I would hope Sarah Palin does just that.

I'm pretty vigilant about how my kids represent themselves online and while there were a couple of internet shakedowns in their life, their content was not near as egregious or cruel as this. What people (adults alike) fail to realize is that your FB persona is an advertisement of yourself, a picturebook-journal and bio of sorts; how you want the world to see you as you are in complete control of the image portrayed. Whether or not they appreciate reality, their FB persona as children is also a reflection on their parents.

Is this really the picture they wanted to send? Lowest common denominator, drama-seeking white trash? Was there really no conversation like this in the Palin house knowing that there are antagonists hinging on every word a Palin says? Or are Sarah and Todd's kids simply this out of control or worse... this stupid?
ebuddy

andi*pandi
Nov 17, 2010, 12:11 PM

Keepin' it classy, yeah, but most teenagers talk that way. Sadly.

In other news, the Gosselin kids got kicked out of elementary school.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2010, 12:32 PM

Yeah, I would think that the kids of the Palin's would fully understand that they have to conduct themselves carefully because the entire family has a spotlight on it.

This is pretty typical teen behavior and nothing really beyond that... I would just think that the kids would know better. Don't they have PR people and publicists going over how to properly behave themselves in the public eye?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Yeah, I would think that the kids of the Palin's would fully understand that they have to conduct themselves carefully because the entire family has a spotlight on it.

This is pretty typical teen behavior and nothing really beyond that... I would just think that the kids would know better. Don't they have PR people and publicists going over how to properly behave themselves in the public eye?
One would think. But apparently the "Palin" brand has its privileges. Witness how Bristol Palin has infamously made it into the finals of Dancing With The Stars over far superior competitors by any objective standard. She consistently has the lowest scores week after week .... yet the Tea Party crowd is apparently voting for her anyway even over competitors who score perfect 10s. You even have some on conservative blogs discussing how to game the system and vote more than once by email because while ABC's website doesn't allow more than one vote to come from a given email address, it apparently doesn't check to see if the email address is valid. Of course, the Palins deny any subterfuge. In any event, seeing as how a certain segment for the public will vote for Bristol "Two Left Feet" Palin in a dance competition even though she unquestionably sucks just because they support Sarah "You betcha!" Palin politically .... well suffice it to say that this situation with the other Palin kid won't garner much traction.

OAW

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2010, 01:25 PM

Subterfuge? Palin fans are voting for the Palin kid. It's not rocket science. It's not cheating or anything else. It's a popularity contest and her fans are more organized. I don't think it goes any deeper than that.

What is the end-game for the Tea Party if Bristol wins? What's the benefit?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

pooka
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2010, 01:26 PM

Eh, sorry. Half the people I associate with are homos and none of them find the word "f*gg*t" offensive. Next to the other "eff" word, it's probably the most commonly heard thing on Xbox Live. And it's funny every. single. time. I'm siding with South Park on this one.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2010, 01:40 PM

Subterfuge? Palin fans are voting for the Palin kid. It's not rocket science. It's not cheating or anything else. It's a popularity contest and her fans are more organized. I don't think it goes any deeper than that.
Agreed. But presumably it's a dancing competition that's clearly been turned into a popularity contest in rather dramatic fashion this season. And I'm not suggesting that is "cheating" in and of itself. People can vote for whoever they want for whatever reason they want. The only evidence of "cheating" is with those who have figured out a way to vote more than once via email and "stuff the ballot box" so to speak. And to that my question is .... is it really that deep?

What is the end-game for the Tea Party if Bristol wins? What's the benefit?
The end-game for the Tea Party is that Sarah Palin finally wins something on the national stage.

OAW

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2010, 01:43 PM

I find it offensive. Yeah, a lot of kids use that term, but it's still offensive.

I also find Xbox Live extremely irritating. Back in the day with online Unreal Tournament or Quake III, they were nowhere near as offensive. However, maybe it's because it requires more effort to type it than say it? That doesn't explain those facebook posts though.

P.S. I read failblog for my amusement, and those photos look just like failbook posts.

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Agreed. But presumably it's a dancing competition that's clearly been turned into a popularity contest in rather dramatic fashion this season. And I'm not suggesting that is "cheating" in and of itself. People can vote for whoever they want for whatever reason they want. The only evidence of "cheating" is with those who have figured out a way to vote more than once via email and "stuff the ballot box" so to speak. And to that my question is .... is it really that deep?
Another reason those "reality" shows suck. I'd be less inclined to ignore them if they weren't designed to be popularity contents. I must admit though, I watched a couple of clips when Woz was dancing... if you can call it that.

And yeah, it's easy to "game the system". Wasn't it 4chan that was keeping a dweeb in one of the shows just because he was such a dweeb?
( Last edited by Eug; Nov 17, 2010 at 01:53 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2010, 01:44 PM

^^ Are you asking me to take DWTS seriously? Because, I just can't.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Well, not really DWTS, but it might be more interesting when shows like So You Think You Can Dance Canada didn't have the fan voting component. These shows actually have accomplished up and coming dancers and professional dancers as judges, but the shows add in the voting component to get the ratings. Totally defeats the point of such a "competition" IMO.

Although I must admit, when they showed the reaction of Andrew Lloyd Weber on the news at the end of one of these reality shows, it was priceless. He basically gushed over one contestant because of her acting and singing ability and said she was a rising star. For the other contestant he was just polite and said she was sort of pretty good. Of course, the fans chose the latter, because she was a babe.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2010, 02:03 PM

I don't see being a babe factoring into this at all.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2010, 02:06 PM

I don't see being a babe playing into this at all.
Heh. Well, she's the nubile daughter of the spurned right. At least she's got grassroots support.

Back on topic... Yeah, if Palin (the mom) does condemn the posts, I'll have just a little more respect for her. If she doesn't, then I'll have a just a little less.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2010, 02:56 PM

Looks like somebody is taking it a little too seriously ....

A rural Wisconsin man blasted his television set with a shotgun after watching Bristol Palin's "Dancing with the Stars" routine Monday night, saying he was fed up with politics and Palin wasn't a very good dancer, according to court documents.

Steven Cowan, 67, of the town of Vermont, about 15 miles west of Madison, then pointed the gun at his wife, 66-year-old Janice Cowan, who escaped and called police, authorities said. A SWAT team surrounded the couple's farmhouse, and officers were able to talk Cowan out Tuesday morning after an all-night standoff.

Cowan had been drinking before he sat down to watch "Dancing with the Stars" and suffers from bipolar disorder, his wife told officers. He was charged Tuesday with second-degree reckless endangerment, and could be sentenced to up to 10 years in prison if convicted.
Authorities: Wis. man shoots TV over Palin dance

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Nov 17, 2010 at 03:12 PM. )

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2010, 04:31 PM

I hate faggots.
And there's nothing remotely offensive about that phrase, since I'm a vegetarian.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2010, 06:59 PM

wait, you are condemning double standards in the same post you comment about how no one would ever excuse the use of the word n!gger?

lol

PS: The MacNN word filter is gay

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2010, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
wait, you are condemning double standards in the same post you comment about how no one would ever excuse the use of the word n!gger?
I never said that. I said it's inexcusable to call someone a n*gg*r or f*gg*t.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2010, 08:24 PM

you are clearly missing the point

Orion27
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2010, 11:08 PM

One would think. But apparently the "Palin" brand has its privileges. Witness how Bristol Palin has infamously made it into the finals of Dancing With The Stars over far superior competitors by any objective standard. She consistently has the lowest scores week after week .... yet the Tea Party crowd is apparently voting for her anyway even over competitors who score perfect 10s. You even have some on conservative blogs discussing how to game the system and vote more than once by email because while ABC's website doesn't allow more than one vote to come from a given email address, it apparently doesn't check to see if the email address is valid. Of course, the Palins deny any subterfuge. In any event, seeing as how a certain segment for the public will vote for Bristol "Two Left Feet" Palin in a dance competition even though she unquestionably sucks just because they support Sarah "You betcha!" Palin politically .... well suffice it to say that this situation with the other Palin kid won't garner much traction.

OAW
I just had to respond to your sentiments. I agree, we are a merit based society, so when we see people being pushed to the front of the line ahead of more deserving and accomplished individuals, it reeks of unfairness.
And what is most high on the liberal agenda is fairness. We must be fair and based on merit. You make an excellent argument against affirmative action. Thanks!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 17, 2010, 11:44 PM

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2010, 12:10 AM

Words fail me.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2010, 12:25 AM

One .... yet the Tea Party crowd is apparently voting for her anyway even over competitors who score perfect 10s.

Ahh, liberals and their crazy conspiracy theories... over... DANCING WITH THE STARS!

You can't make this stuff up!

Hasn't the Tea Party made you shoot your TV yet?

Man, you are good for a laugh!

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2010, 12:38 AM

you are clearly missing the point
Which is?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2010, 09:41 AM

oh snap, Bristol's hot!

Totally did not know that
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2010, 11:05 AM

Which is?
I'm going to guess it's that black people have been known to call each other "******" without it being considered inexcusable.

Edit: that's a dumb word to censor Mr. Censorbot.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2010, 02:11 PM

Crash,

I admit it. I do get this rather perverse pleasure out of demonstrating how the simplest of things completely fail to register with you if they don't fit into your ideology. To that end ....

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post

Ahh, liberals and their crazy conspiracy theories...
1. You are ASSUMING that everyone who has an issue with the consistently low-scoring Bristol Palin making it to the finals of DWTS over obviously superior dancers is a "liberal".

2. It's not a "crazy conspiracy theory" when the allegations made against various conservative websites and blogs have been PROVEN. Again ... see the links. It's a FACT.

over... DANCING WITH THE STARS!
Does it not occur to you that your incredulity is more applicable to those who are actually conducting a campaign to vote for someone in a dancing competition out of political loyalty to her mother .... than it is for those who are simply making the observation that this is being done?

I mean seriously .... which one takes more effort? Registering fake email addresses with ABC.com so you can vote more than the allowable limit for someone who clearly can't dance because her last name is Palin? Or making the observation that someone who has scored at the bottom of the heap for nearly two months straight can't be in the finals unless a lot of people are voting for her for reasons other than dancing ability?

You're right in one sense. It's a freaking TV show. Jeez ... we're talking about Dancing With The Stars here! And like I said earlier ..."Is it really that deep?" Well, apparently it is to a sizable number of your ideological cohorts.

OAW

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2010, 02:32 PM

Crash,

I admit it. I do get this rather perverse pleasure out of demonstrating how the simplest of things completely fail to register...
You certainly do!

1. You are ASSUMING
HAHA! Look who's talking! All you and your crazy liberal conspiracies have done is do JUST THAT! You point to some random posts on the internet and ASSUME it has anything what-so-ever to do with the Tea Party, then just run with it like the brainless sheep you are. You also ASSUME that any exploit would only work in favor of one person, and not ANYONE on the stupid show. (Geesh, I thought only teenage girls- the ones who are probably voting for any of this crap one way or another watched or gave a crap about this stupid show, but it's clear that you're deeply invested in it! That is SAD.)

Every time you liberal crybabies don't get your way, you find a way to blame the Tea Party for your failings- and now, over a freakin' TV dance show competition! Just when I think you libs can't possibly sink to a lower depth of shallowness and stupidity- you always prove me wrong.

Face it- it's you liberal dorks that absolutely hate the Palins- to the point of shooting your damn TVs over it!- can't possibly fathom that not everyone in the country is as shallow and brainless as you are. Not everyone hates Sarah Palin like you creeps do, and even if they do, they don't really give a crap enough to extend their blind hatred to her kids as well. It's only liberal retards making this anything to do with politics, and as usual, in utter dipshit fashion.

So tons of teenagers and soccer moms and male dorks and whoever else gives a flying rat about that show like the Palin kid more than they do some other so-called 'stars' on that show- SO FREAKIN' WHAT? Go back to watching My Little Pony and putting the Hello Kitty wallpaper on your princess cell phone and get over it. And next time you watch, keep away from shotguns, you might hurt someone next time. Geesh.

andi*pandi
Nov 18, 2010, 02:46 PM

If a "star" like Woz can draw in the geek demo (and then cause a ruckus when they figured he'd gamed the voting) then I have no problem inferring that a "star" like Bristol could bring in the tea party demo to watch and vote and game the system. Kate Gosselin wasn't kicked out the first week, and that's due to fanbase.

That's the whole reason they choose "stars" for this show, which demographic they'll pull in. You need your fading hottie, a person famous for being famous, a clumsy football star, a country singer who is uncomfortable in his skin, your teen sensation, a reality tv star... and so on.

That said, I haven't watched since Woz, and can't comment on her dancing or lack thereof. But the frothing seems undue.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2010, 02:51 PM

MOST of the country is conservative, therefore MOST of the country doesn't hold an irrational grudge against Sarah Palin, or even more irrational- her kids.

Conservative does not equal Tea Party. That's simply become the liberal catch-all blame for every liberal failing since many are unable to deal with the FACT that most of the country isn't moonbat insane liberal like they may be. That doesn't make it anything to do with any organized effort by the Tea Party.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2010, 03:15 PM

MOST of the country is conservative, therefore MOST of the country doesn't hold an irrational grudge against Sarah Palin, or even more irrational- her kids.
40% isn't most.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2010, 03:58 PM

Crash,

Teenage girls? Clearly you know not of which you speak. DWTS has huge ratings. Pulls in even more viewers than American Idol. Having said that, American Idol commands much higher ad prices than DWTS because it does better in the 18-49 demographic. So that means that a large portion of the DTWS viewership is in an older demographic. Which only makes sense because the show is centered around BALLROOM DANCING. Something that's generally not on the radar screen of the typical "teenage girl".

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE
Unwittingly you have touched upon the fundamental observation being made. Older conservatives are a HUGE part of the DWTS viewership. The same demographic that Sarah Palin appeals to. But as usual, you fall into foolishness. No one has an "irrational grudge" against Bristol Palin. That's not the issue. People aren't criticizing her getting into the finals of DWTS because she's Sarah Palin's daughter. They aren't criticizing HER at all. What they are criticizing is the fact that she can't dance. At all. Not even a little bit. And her scores consistently show this to be the case. Yet several contestants who are light-years ahead of her in actual ability have been voted off the show. And if you had seen the show you would know that to be true. For a show that is purportedly a dancing competition ... it is BLATANTLY OBVIOUS that people are voting for her for other reasons. So when one factors in who her mother is along with the older, conservative demographic portion of the show's viewership .... well suffice it to say that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to ascertain how she's made it this far.

So again .... the issue is not that people have an irrational grudge against her because she's Sarah Palin's daughter. The issue is that people have an irrational affinity for her because she's Sarah Palin's daughter.

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE
Face it- it's you liberal dorks that absolutely hate the Palins- to the point of shooting your damn TVs over it!- can't possibly fathom that not everyone in the country is as shallow and brainless as you are. Not everyone hates Sarah Palin like you creeps do, and even if they do, they don't really give a crap enough to extend their blind hatred to her kids as well. It's only liberal retards making this anything to do with politics, and as usual, in utter dipshit fashion.
Now of course, you are who you are Crash. And denial of the obvious is part of your ideological DNA. So to your "shallow and brainless" comment .... unless you can explain to MILLIONS of people around the country from various walks of life how Bristol Palin's actual dance performances merit a vote count that is higher than undeniably superior competitors ... then you might as well keep it moving. The bottom line is that there is no other plausible explanation for this girl being in the finals of DWTS. None. Having said that, if I bet my next paycheck that you haven't even seen any recent episodes I'm fairly certain that I wouldn't lose a dime. So I really don't think you are in a position to comment one way or the other. But as usual, you confuse insults and unnecessary hostility over ideology with logical argument and common sense.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Nov 18, 2010 at 04:21 PM. )

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2010, 04:22 PM

The only time i watched that show was when they had the deaf girl on.
I wanted to be amused by her fail.

That said, I don't believe for a second its a show about skill. What exactly would be accomplished in proving a ringer like Mulan is a better dancer than a gimp? I see its purpose more similar to that of NASCAR: people mostly tune in to see the wrecks. If it was about skill it would be more like those other reality shows that pull in contestants only after weeding out the unskilled from a huge group of applicants.

Getting back on topic though, I would say that any guy who watches that show regularly, voluntarily and feels like he has a vested interest in who wins should be called a faggot.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2010, 04:34 PM

Because stooping to their level with a name such as "faggot" is just what is needed!

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2010, 04:45 PM

If society here has become so comfortable and accepting of women being called bitches that its no longer censored on broadcast television or even generally objected to then all the politically correct lemmings should pull whatever they have shoved up their anuses out and deal with the use of the word faggot as a commonplace derogatory term.

If its good enough for the MacNN word filter to allow its good enough for you ladies.

pooka
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2010, 04:49 PM

Getting back on topic though, I would say that any guy who watches that show regularly, voluntarily and feels like he has a vested interest in who wins should be called a faggot.

For the record, I've never seen the show. Nor do I care if you grind all the Palins up to feed the homeless. If you made that into a show I may watch. But just the grinding part. The homeless are kind of gay.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2010, 04:50 PM

MOST of the country is conservative
Funny, I could have sworn the elections of the past have proven that the country is pretty evenly split right down the middle.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2010, 04:59 PM

If society here has become so comfortable and accepting of women being called bitches that its no longer censored on broadcast television or even generally objected to then all the politically correct lemmings should pull whatever they have shoved up their anuses out and deal with the use of the word faggot as a commonplace derogatory term.

If its good enough for the MacNN word filter to allow its good enough for you ladies.

I'm not objecting to the word, I'm objecting to combating idiocy with more idiocy. Sometimes the best way to win in an arms race of stupid is to stop being stupid.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2010, 05:05 PM

Why is anyone surprised, and why does anyone care? If it's up to voting, you can forget about the most qualified person being elected. It's a popularity contest.

She got voted to stay because she's hot and she's famous. Simple as that.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2010, 05:25 PM

Oh, I think i just got what all this nonsense is about. Thanks google

Someone is pulling a Kanye because Ray J's sister was bounced out. Issue explained.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2010, 06:40 PM

I don't see being a babe factoring into this at all.

Wait. Is this supposed to be hot?
You sure like 'em chunky on the other side of the pond.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2010, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Why is anyone surprised,
and why does anyone care? If it's up to voting, you can forget about the most qualified person being elected. It's a popularity contest.
DWTS is a reality TV show for sure. The judges scores count as do the votes of the public. Consequently, the possibility has always existed for factors other than dancing ability to influence who continues and who goes home. My wife, who's a big fan of the show, has said the better dancer has not always made it to the next round in seasons past. In those situations though, it was more like the "average" dancer continued while a "good" dancer went home. But in the week or so thereafter, that "average" dancer soon followed. IOW, the other factors only carried you so far. The big difference this year it seems is that there is an "awful" dancer who has continued on week after week, while "good" dancers and even "great" dancers went home. So it becomes harder for a lot of fans of the show to overlook. Once? Oh well ... it happens. Twice? You can write that off as a coincidence. But 5 weeks in a row? 4 with the absolute lowest score and 1 with the second to the lowest score? An average score over the course of the competition that would have her in freaking 7th place ... but she's now one of the final 3? GTFOOH! Oh yeah ... that starts looking real fishy. Especially considering the ever widening gulf in skills between Bristol Palin and those being sent packing. Especially considering how she has no audience, no fan base, no "stardom" whatsoever outside of being the teenage daughter of Sarah Palin who got knocked up out of wedlock. And that is why the "controversy" is so much greater this year. I suppose it's a pretty big deal for a lot of fans of DWTS because even though there is a public voting aspect to the show, at the end of the day it is still supposed to be a dancing competition. A quick google search will reveal tons of hits of fans saying that the show has lost all credibility with them. Producers wondering if they will loser viewership in the future because of all this.

Is the sky going to fall because Bristol Palin made it into the finals of DWTS? Undoubtedly not. For me personally ... I've only been watching it this year with the Mrs. because she's been watching Stargate: Universe with me. I only raised the issue in this thread as an illustration of how a Palin kid would be given a free pass ... whether that was for bad behavior on Facebook or poor performance on DWTS. Simply because their mother is popular with a certain crowd.

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
She got voted to stay because she's hot and she's famous. Simple as that.
Well Bristol Palin is arguably the least famous contestant on the show. At least in her own right. As for whether she's still there because she's "hot", many would argue that Audrina Partridge ...

... is waaaaayyyyy hotter than Bristol Palin. And a helluva better dancer at that.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Nov 18, 2010 at 07:32 PM. )

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2010, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Wait. Is this supposed to be hot?
You sure like 'em chunky on the other side of the pond.
Damn Doofy. Give the girl a break. She did just pop out a kid in the last year or so.

OAW

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2010, 09:20 PM

Give the girl a break. She did just pop out a kid in the last year or so.
I'm told she has actually gotten heavier as the show goes on.

Forum Links
Forum Rules