Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Troubleshooting Windows Printing Problem

Troubleshooting Windows Printing Problem
TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2011, 12:34 PM

My church's (small) office is having trouble printing (wirelessly) from the Windows computer (Windows XP on a not-too-old Dell). Now, I have no trouble printing (wirelessly) from my MacBook Pro.

Here's what's being experienced by the person using the computer ...

After clicking "print," the printer starts but soon becomes extremely slow/intermittent. Then, the computer screen becomes unresponsive (cursor freezes, error message about the display driver becoming unresponsive but then becoming okay again, screens blacks out intermittently, an analog input icon appears on black screen saying something about an energy saver).

When I took a look at it, I also saw an occasional error message about an audio jack being plugged in and/or unplugged.

I'm not very familiar with Windows these days, but I ran the printer troubleshooter and one downloaded from the Microsoft website, which found no problems. I deleted the printer and reinstalled it (but installed the recommended/same? driver).

We're not really sure what to do next. Any ideas, or questions for more info?

Many thanks!

ibook_steve
Oct 4, 2011, 05:02 PM

Is this a true wireless printer or is it connected to some other device to print through (computer, router, etc.)? Can you plug the printer into the computer directly and see if you can print?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2011, 05:10 PM

It's a true wireless printer (doesn't go through another device). Yes, I should try connecting a cable but haven't found one to try yet.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2011, 05:36 PM

Silly question, but are you using the latest drivers and is XP fully updated?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 5, 2011, 01:04 AM

What model of Dell PC and printer please.
Do you know how to find out which model the graphics card is?

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2011, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the follow-up. In checking on the answers to your questions, I updated the drivers and firmware from HP's site. Then I did a test print and it worked.

So, unless, the problem reappears, this issue is resolved. Thanks for your help!

(Now I can go back to my Mac.)

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2011, 12:22 PM

I ran into that problem with a friend's printer. It wouldn't print wirelessly, but all they did was install the drivers from the CD. After downloading the latest drives from HP's website, it worked fine.

Makes me wonder how they ever sold the thing if it never worked right out of the box.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2011, 10:24 AM

Ah, the secretary just emailed to say that the problem reappeared today.

I don't have access to all the info/specs I looked up yesterday, but here's what I remember: The Dell is a Vostro (don't remember exact model). It's actually running Windows 7 (w/ latest updates).

The printer is HP Officejet Pro 8500 (wireless).

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2011, 11:06 AM

This looks to be more than simply a printing problem. Here's what we're noticing ...

In IE (latest update), cursor freezes intermittently. Occasionally, screen goes black, an analog icon appears briefly in the upper left corner of the screen, then message message appears: "Auto detect analog display input" "Entering power ave mode." But then the screen reappears. I've checked all the cables.

Still getting message, "just plugged a device in the audio jack," even though we didn't.

Still trouble printing, slow, intermittently (screen flickers, goes back to normal after print job finally done).

Thanks for any suggestions!

Cold Warrior
Oct 10, 2011, 11:12 AM

Try
* another user account in Windows
* booting into safe mode (not sure if printer drivers will load, but you could at least test the audio jack issue and IE freezes here).

I'd also input the service tag into Dell's support site and see if that machine has any critical or important updates for it, such as BIOS or other things.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 10, 2011, 08:14 PM

This sounds like a hardware issue, but it shouldn't be on such a new machine.

Printing is triggering some part of the driver system to reset/flake out. Usually where a faulty printer driver is involved in Windows 7, the print spooler just stops.

I would try upgrading the graphics drivers. I assume it's a PCI Express card by ATI or nVidia? If not, update the chipset and onboard graphics drivers.
If it's a machine from Dell at the factory you should be able to get most updates from the Dell support site by inputting the service tag.

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2011, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried your suggestions, including several updates at Dell's support site. After installing/restarting, everything seems to be working. I'm cautiously optimistic!

Thanks again!

Forum Links
Forum Rules