Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Comcast deploys additional public SSID to consumer Wi-Fi routers

Comcast deploys additional public SSID to consumer Wi-Fi routers
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 10, 2013, 07:24 PM

Comcast is beginning to give its Xfinity Internet customers an additional "xfinitywifi" SSID network in-home that is completely separate and distinct from the family's private and secure home Wi-Fi signal. The move, in effect, creates millions of hotspots for Comcast customers, available all over the country for no additional cost.

The connectivity is offered to Xfinity Internet residential customers. Comcast's newest Wireless Gateway broadcasts two discrete WiFi signals. By default, one is securely configured for the private use of the home subscriber. The other creates an extension of the Xfinity WiFi network and will allow visiting Xfinity Internet subscribers to sign in and connect using their own usernames and passwords.

Comcast started a neighborhood hotspot trial last year in parts of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Northern Virginia and the Greater Washington, DC metro area. Currently, more than 100,000 Xfinity Internet subscribers already regularly use these WiFi access points being offered by other subscribers.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jun 11, 2013 at 02:10 AM. )

fizzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2013, 07:49 PM

So, I can't get guests onto my network unless they're also Comcast customers; but any Comcast customer in the park across the street can leach my WiFi. Thanks, Comcast!

Cold Warrior
Jun 10, 2013, 08:46 PM

I'm glad I don't use a Comcast wifi router. My Airport Extreme is locked down and all mine.

TheGreatButcher
Senior User
Jun 10, 2013, 08:54 PM

So basically Comcast gets free infrastructure off of its customers to support these hotspots?

Cold Warrior
Jun 10, 2013, 10:28 PM

Technically it's their infrastructure, the customer just rents some of it -- including the wifi router, which customers are free to return.

nowwhatareyoulookingat
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2013, 01:46 AM

Great.

Thank you to our "customers" for maintaining the security and paying for the power to keep our infrastructure working. Oh yeah, rates are going up soon.

TheGreatButcher
Senior User
Jun 11, 2013, 07:02 AM

@Cold Warrior: by infrastructure, I mean free electricity and overhead (i.e. property space) supporting the hotspot.

jchung
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2013, 07:21 AM

Any bets on whether Comcast will exclude the free WiFi data usage from the Comcast customer's 250GB / month data cap?

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2013, 10:30 AM

last I checked, Comcast had stopped monitoring the 250GB/month bandwidth

Forum Links
Forum Rules