Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Server

Server
frozentundra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2013, 10:53 AM

My studio's xserve is long in the tooth. We need to replace our aging server and I want to stay with a Mac Server. When will Apple update the Mac Pro line?
Swing hard in case you hit it!!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2013, 01:32 PM

According to an email sent by Tim Cook, some time this year, though whether it's an update, or a replacing of the entire line with some re-imagined new concept, nobody knows.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2013, 05:13 AM

I would hope its the perfect sort of thing to announce at WWDC, but I wouldn't bet money on it. And it probably won't ship for a while afterwards. Might depend how many Mac Pros they still have in stock.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2013, 05:23 AM

They can't sell any of their stock in Europe, though, so I doubt that will significantly affect their calculations.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2013, 10:00 PM

I doubt Europe was buying many Mac Pros.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2013, 10:47 PM

They are selling new units as refurbs in Europe.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2013, 01:34 AM

I don't see any indications of that. There's a single mono-processor Mac Pro on the refurb store in Germany.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2013, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I doubt Europe was buying many Mac Pros.
Nobody was buying many Mac Pros.

But the percentage of creative professionals on Mac in Europe is going to be roughly equivalent to that in the US.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2013, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I don't see any indications of that. There's a single mono-processor Mac Pro on the refurb store in Germany.
I bought one for a customer a few weeks ago and a guy at the store said that a lot of the refurb Mac Pros were new ones now because its the only legal way Apple can sell them here. Apparently we might hurt ourselves by sticking fingers into the fans. Ridiculous.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2013, 07:17 PM

osiris24x
Jun 16, 2013, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
My studio's xserve is long in the tooth. We need to replace our aging server and I want to stay with a Mac Server. When will Apple update the Mac Pro line?
I'm not sure the Mac Pro is your best voice for a server, unless you need it to do some serious floating point number crunching. The new circular design could make for tricky server installations. Too bad the XServe has been discontinued.
Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
PDXMacRepair.com

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2013, 07:02 PM

My suggestion is not to put yourself in a small crowd of people doing weird things when it comes to servers, and in this case that is running either an XServe or a Mac Pro for mission critical stuff. I guess I would make exceptions to this rule if you needed Final Cut server or something that will only run on a Mac, but if you can run it on something else, do that, especially if it can be hosted in a VM.

Forum Links
Forum Rules