Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > CALL FOR PEACE & JUSTICE! Petition...

CALL FOR PEACE & JUSTICE! Petition...
juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2001, 02:17 PM

This just came into my inbox this morning...

Peace...

anyone who agree's is very much welcome to sign...
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Sep 18, 2001, 11:17 PM

Too many anonymous voters Shouldn't each person only be allowed to vote once? I hope this petition isn't being un-fairly balanced.

Mike

pscates
Sep 19, 2001, 12:01 AM

[Edit: ah, never mind...why bother? Have a good and act right]

[ 09-19-2001: Message edited by: pscates ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2001, 02:25 AM

Originally posted by MikeM32:
<STRONG>Too many anonymous voters Shouldn't each person only be allowed to vote once? I hope this petition isn't being un-fairly balanced.Mike</STRONG>
It's a petition. No for and against. With a petition, like anything that can be faked, you'll always have a few percent double-signers. Being anonymous on the public list doesn't mean the real name won't show up on the printed lists delivered to the president...

[ 09-19-2001: Message edited by: - - e r i k - - ]

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

vega24
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2001, 09:50 AM

This Administration has already made it very clear that their goal is to find the people who are responsible for the terrorist attacks and bring them to justice. So, is this petition just a symbolic jesture or what? Because I doubt people like VP Chaney and SoS Powell would let anything stupid happen. Remember, these are some of the same people that did a good job during Operation Desert Shield of putting together a huge coalition of nations and then executing a well thought out military attack during Operation Desert Storm.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2001, 10:32 AM

I say we send a bunch of hugs to the terrorists and then they'll love us... NOT!

Listen, these people are taught from day one to hate Americans. We ALREADY finance them (you probably drove a car today, using gasoline created from oil which was purchased from a middle eastern country).

People calling for "econonmic" equality don't realize that these people don't hate our riches (they have riches too), they hate us because they are taught to. And the reason they are taught to is that the people in power in their countries hate the concept of a free society. Whether they think freedom undermines their power or their faith, they hate the idea of liberty. Period.

And since we represent freedom, they hate us. We can't fix that with peace and love. We just end up with more of this crap.

The only way to do anything about this is make it so that terrorists of any ilk are not welcome ANYWHERE on Earth.

I'm not saying that we should go bomb Afghanistan citizens (unless they are terrorists or support terrorism). And that is not what Bush is saying either...
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

fletch521
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2001, 10:55 AM

juanvaldes,

You are much more part of the problem than the soulition.

Fletch
MacBook Air, 2.13GHz, 128GB solid-state drive
24-inch Apple LED Cinema Display
iPhone 4

finboy
Sep 19, 2001, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by fletch521:
<STRONG>juanvaldes,

You are much more part of the problem than the soulition.

Fletch</STRONG>
Sorry JV, but this type of "join hands and sing Kum-bi-yah" subversion is a distraction at this point. I know that you were trying to be patriotic in your own way, but we don't need to be listening to the folks who got us into this in the first place right now. No matter how many group hugs and positive thoughts we throw around right now, these guys aren't going away without extreme and personal violence done toward them.

The prior post about Sicilian solutions is appropriate here. I love peace and harmony as much as the other guy, but in this case we have to respond with such horrendous force that it deters people from this type of madness in the future. Good thoughts and lighted candles won't do that, but killing them and salting their land will demonstrate to others that the U.S. (and Western countries in general) won't put up with this. Force is wrong when initiated, but there is no such thing as excessive force in retalition.

Much of this current peace initiative and calls for "thorough investigations" amounts to keeping one's head in the sand. If that's the case, you might not be able to hear the next terrorist bomb go off. This isn't going away without lots and lots of bloodshed.

vega24
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2001, 12:01 PM

Just a point that needs to be made that not to many people are making is the simple fact that 6,000 Americans are dead and we can not let that go unanswered. We just can't and I'm sorry, but putting the people responsible for their deaths on trial is not acceptable at this time.

In my opinion, we should invade Afganistan, demand their unconditional surrender, and replace their government with a free and democratic one. And, if need be, let's do that to every terrorist harboring country. We did the same in WWII and look at how prosperous Germany, Italy, and Japan are today.

One more thing, some people have said that killing Usama Bin Laden wouldn't do anything to stop future attacks. Well, when Napolean was removed from power the French army no longer posed a threat to Europe.

Forum Links
Forum Rules