Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Will anyone pay for Yahoo Mail?

Will anyone pay for Yahoo Mail?
SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2002, 05:33 PM

Now that Yahoo is charging for POP3 and forwarding, who is going to pay the $30.00 a year? I'm of two minds about whether I should pay or not.

If Yahoo was better about marketing what my money will get me, I might. Right now Yahoo is spam central and they don't have a decent Mac messenger.

My first reaction was "screw that!" But I also like Yahoo (they are not Hotmail) and I have been happy there for five years now, so maybe I should pay for a service I use. But then again, the only reason I used Yahoo was because it was free!

Any opinions?
My life is my argument. --Albert Schweitzer

nealconner
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2002, 05:36 PM

Seeing as how I'd be embarrassed give out my e-mail will a yahoo.com domain, I'd pass.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2002, 05:36 PM

I am definitely not paying. I agree, if Yahoo provided a quality service, I might consider shelling out some $$.
I'm currently checking out a couple of other providers of free POP3 email service.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2002, 05:40 PM

Pay??? For Yahoo mail?!!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

SillyMonk  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2002, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
<STRONG>I am definitely not paying. I agree, if Yahoo provided a quality service, I might consider shelling out some $$.
I'm currently checking out a couple of other providers of free POP3 email service.</STRONG>
If you come up with a good alternative can you post it here?

Of course there is mac.com which is great, but I don't know how to do web access with mac.com. I use the web part sometimes.

Thanxz

SillyMonk  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2002, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
<STRONG>Pay??? For Yahoo mail?!!</STRONG>
Very Funny! They do/did offer a good service! I haven't needed to change my email address in five years even though I have lived in four different cities. What are the alternatives?

malvolio
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2002, 05:45 PM

One that I have tried is hotpop.com. The "catch" with their free service is that you must agree to accept some advertising emails. But so far, it's not bad. I've been getting only one or two ad messages a week.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

t_hah
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2002, 05:56 PM

I am debating as well. It really sucks that they want you to pay...I have been using their service for quite a while now, and many people have my email address at Yahoo...I think I will pay them...but i am not happy about it.

t

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2002, 06:01 PM

Nope. I've ditched free services that changed to a pay system before. It's a pain in the ass to change your email, but at least you can squeeze another dinner +movie out of your wallet.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2002, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by nealconner:
<STRONG>Seeing as how I'd be embarrassed give out my e-mail will a yahoo.com domain, I'd pass. </STRONG>
???? Why would that be embarrasing?
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2002, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by SillyMonk:
<STRONG>

If you come up with a good alternative can you post it here?

Of course there is mac.com which is great, but I don't know how to do web access with mac.com. I use the web part sometimes.

Thanxz</STRONG>
Try: www.mail2web.com

(You'll have web-access to your mac.com account)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2002, 06:06 PM

I might.

I'm debating if it's worth it to go through the hassle of changing my e-mail address. (I get 75-100 e-mails a day and EACH of those folks will need an update). So, I'll end up missing some e-mail.

My wife also uses it, but I'm NOT going to pay for 2 accounts. (So they will lose her as a customer.) &lt;DOH&gt;

I guess I'll decide by the 24th.

It *IS* a great service with a ton of features .... but I'm wondering if they are worth the $24
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

clRagnarok
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2002, 06:08 PM

wait a second, you have to pay for ALL yahoo mail now? For some reason i thought it was just if you wanted to access your account through a mail program.

screw this. yahoo can go fļæ½ck themselves
c l R a g n a r o k

Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2002, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by clRagnarok:
<STRONG>screw this. yahoo can go fļæ½ck themselves</STRONG>
I haven't heard a thing about this...I suspect webmail will remain free..if not...see quote above
"Well done is better than well said." -BF
Kitchenall

akebono
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2002, 06:14 PM

<STRONG>wait a second, you have to pay for ALL yahoo mail now? For some reason i thought it was just if you wanted to access your account through a mail program.

screw this. yahoo can go fļæ½ck themselves</STRONG>
It is just for mail forwarding and POP3 access. Since Yahoo!(tm) once advertised "Free e-mail for life!", I'm sure that some money-grubber would set up a class-action lawsuit against them for charging for email.

SillyMonk  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2002, 06:17 PM

<STRONG>wait a second, you have to pay for ALL yahoo mail now? For some reason i thought it was just if you wanted to access your account through a mail program.

You just have to pay for POP3 and forwarding, which is what I use it for mainly. Using webmail can be tedious after a few days, especially if it is your main mail.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2002, 06:19 PM

No.

Webmail is free. It's only POP access & forwarding that you'll have to pay for.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2002, 06:23 PM

I did have an account with gmx.net - my account does not work anymore, I went to sign up again but the site is all German.
Change your world and you will change your mind.

clRagnarok
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2002, 06:23 PM

well i'm glad we got that straightened out.

yahoo can still...you know...though.
c l R a g n a r o k

Patrick
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2002, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
<STRONG>One that I have tried is hotpop.com. The "catch" with their free service is that you must agree to accept some advertising emails. But so far, it's not bad. I've been getting only one or two ad messages a week.</STRONG>
Same with Yahoo - when I signed up for their POP3 forwarding service, I had to agree to receive a bunch of advertisements. And lately I've been getting 5 - 10 junk emails per day. What gets on my nerves is that most have HTML formatting and linked images, which take time to load (when they do). Some even spawn those annoying javascript pop-up windows, and that pisses me off.

So what the hell, I'll stick with web access. I mean, it's a free deal. And maybe I'll stop getting get so much spam.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2002, 08:24 PM

<STRONG>

Very Funny! They do/did offer a good service! I haven't needed to change my email address in five years even though I have lived in four different cities. What are the alternatives?</STRONG>
I tried that service a while ago, and couldn't stand it. It was such a worthless pile of excrement that it wasn't worth the money you were paying for it even when it was free. Their servers were glacially slow and it took forever to download anything from it, and quite often their servers just plain didn't work for really long intervals of time. And their SMTP servers never did work at all. And of course, they always kept sending you their spam... ugh. The only thing worse was Hotmail. I can't believe they have the audacity to charge money for that terrible service...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

zonetuke
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2002, 07:36 PM

I will not pay. My 6 yahoo accounts will change into 6 AT&T accounts with the @attbi.com domain name.
Dual G5 2.3 GHz Powermac, 2.5 GB ram, GeForce 6600, Belkin 4 port USB hub,, SyncMaster 21" LCD, iMic.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2002, 08:26 PM

am i missing something here? what is wrong with using your mac.com address? if you want to check mail on the web go to www.iloveapple.com. as it sounds from this thread there are other services that allow you to check it through a browser as well.

i should also note that Yahoo has quit their free ftp access to your webspace. i was upset at this since this was what i used their service for mostly. where else can you make a direct link to photos and signatures etc for free (such as on ebay)?

<font color = red>EDIT: </font> speaking of my website- pop on over there to check it out: http://liquidswift.da.ru

[ 03-22-2002: Message edited by: Miniryu ]

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

poocat
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2002, 11:26 AM

i've been "@rocketmail.com" (yahoo's original owners/who they bought it from) for like 8/9 years... but i only use webmail...

their spam is shitty... i get like 20-30 a day.. sux
if you all find another i'd be so down to switch, but i need universal access/24/7 uptime...

best of luck,
pcat.

(this post was longer but got deleted and now my english is screwed by g&t)
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2002, 12:11 PM

what's wrong with mac.com? it's free, it does not spam you and you can use POP3 with it.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 24, 2002, 12:24 PM

<STRONG>the only reason I used Yahoo was because it was free!</STRONG>
Exactly. I had both hotmail and yahoo accounts. These were always my "If a website wants an e-mail when you register, give them this" accounts. I used to use the hotmail one but because I could check the yahoo with a POP client, I just left the hotmail one behind. Now I gotta go crawling back. I really like having POP access and I don't get as much junkmail with my Yahoo! account (something like 1 or 2 every few days).

Oh well. I have a lot of places to change though. I suppose I could just use my own mail server now that I have it up. I can just forward it to my everyday address.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 24, 2002, 12:28 PM

<STRONG>Using webmail can be tedious after a few days, especially if it is your main mail.</STRONG>
Yup, and you get to view all those banner ads you've been skipping too. Cool huh? Grr...

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2002, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by akebono:
<STRONG>It is just for mail forwarding and POP3 access. Since Yahoo!(tm) once advertised "Free e-mail for life!", I'm sure that some money-grubber would set up a class-action lawsuit against them for charging for email.</STRONG>
But that suit would never get off the ground - Yahoo! is still offering "free e-mail for life," just not free POP3 access. There is a key difference.

Forum Links
Forum Rules