Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you watch Letterman or Jay Leno?

Do you watch Letterman or Jay Leno?
Sealobo
Apr 11, 2002, 11:26 PM

When i was 14 i started to learn English languge from the ground up. My English teacher told me that if i could understand the jokes in the Late Night Show someday then I am doing pretty well. So... that's how i got to know the talk-show culture of the western country (there's no such thing in Hong Kong). People told me that Jay Leno is more popular here but i found Letterman more amusing.

who's your pick?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2002, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by sealobo:
<STRONG>When i was 14 i started to learn English languge from the ground up. My English teacher told me that if i could understand the jokes in the Late Night Show someday then I am doing pretty well. So... that's how i got to know the talk-show culture of the western country (there's no such thing in Hong Kong). People told me that Jay Leno is more popular here but i found Letterman more amusing.

who's your pick? </STRONG>
I don't like either anymore. Conan O'Brien is much better.

He's on NBC after Leno.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2002, 11:31 PM

Letterman all the way!

More seriously, my preference was reinforced by his show after Sept. 11 but he's always been more entertaining to me.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

MinivanH8R
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2002, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
<STRONG>

I don't like either anymore. Conan O'Brien is much better.

He's on NBC after Leno.</STRONG>
Right on. Letterman and Leno are for me to poop on!

urbanmastermind
Apr 11, 2002, 11:35 PM

Conan... And, actually, I don't find Carson's show to be that bad, it's a really cool format.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2002, 01:01 AM

I think Craig Kilborne is hilarious. Next comes David Letterman. I don't find Leno that funny at all...I'm gonna get crazy flamed for this, but I don't like Conan all that much, I'd much rather watch CBS late night than NBC.

Demonhood
Administrator
Apr 12, 2002, 01:33 AM

Conan.
Stewart.
Maher.

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: Demonhood ]

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2002, 01:35 AM

Leno can be funny, but with Letterman you find yourself laughing even when he's not making a joke. With Letterman, just wondering what's going to come next is funny. The whole show is a goof. I think Conan is the next best thing, for the same reason.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2002, 08:58 AM

Letterman!

I don't find Leno funny in the least. (Arrogant & condescending maybe, but not funny.)

I too do not find Conan funny, but it's been a few years since I've attempted to watch him so maybe he's improved.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

M�lum
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2002, 09:22 AM

What's the difference?
Basicly all these programmes are the same.
The frontman changes, but the idea, the set up (and the set) are the same.
But I suppose that's what quality Television is about.

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2002, 09:29 AM

Neither of them make me laugh anymore. I only watch Leno when he has those Kevin Smith shorts on.

Letterman spends most of his show bashing CBS, and most of his guest aren't that entertaining

Leno, on the other hand, gets all the good guests, but he just isn't funny.

I think they need to get some new blood behind the desks.

Now Dennis Miller and Chris Rock. Those are some funny shows. Definitely worth the price of HBO.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2002, 09:32 AM

Letterman. Definitely the best since Carson. Leno has this nice air about his show being in LA and all, but Letterman's got the more intelligent humor.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

LeftWingLock
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2002, 09:53 AM

Letterman. I find Leno to be too bland, predictable, and not at all funny.
Half The People I Know Are Below Average

xyber233
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2002, 10:01 AM

I watch Leno because his show is more interesting even though Letterman is funnier.

marusin
Senior User
Apr 12, 2002, 10:07 AM

What about "Late World With Zach" on VH1? Anyone catch that show yet? While it has it's dumb moments, I kinda like it! I see Zach as someone that would be on these message boards. Kinda geeky in a way but has a cool/hipster side to him as well...

and between Leno and Letterman? Definitely Letterman... Leno seems like a corporate puppet (not that anyone else on TV isn't, but he just gives me the impression that he has no say on things). At least Letterman throws his "own two cents" in at times...

milhous
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2002, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by agasthya:
<STRONG>I think Craig Kilborne is hilarious. Next comes David Letterman. I don't find Leno that funny at all...I'm gonna get crazy flamed for this, but I don't like Conan all that much, I'd much rather watch CBS late night than NBC.</STRONG>
I'm with you.
F = ma

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2002, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by starman:
<STRONG>Letterman. Definitely the best since Carson. Leno has this nice air about his show being in LA and all, but Letterman's got the more intelligent humor.

Mike</STRONG>
Good point. Leno has a very "blue color" feel to his humor.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2002, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by marusin:
<STRONG>What about "Late World With Zach" on VH1? Anyone catch that show yet? While it has it's dumb moments, I kinda like it! I see Zach as someone that would be on these message boards. Kinda geeky in a way but has a cool/hipster side to him as well...</STRONG>
If you wanna talk about 3rd world hosts (thats the best i can think of), how about Mohr Sports on ESPN? I watch it and it cracks me up. Its only funny if you can follow the sports he is talking about though.

Those promos they did on ESPN were hilarious.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2002, 11:59 AM

CONAN O'BRIEN 4 EVA!!

Can't go wrong with a guy who wrote for the Simpsons and SNL.

Letterman's my 2nd choice.

Leno is a goob. Kilbourn is a weirdo. Maher is a windbag. And Carson Daly is just a tool.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2002, 01:34 PM

I retract my previous statement

Space Ghost: Coast to Coast!
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2002, 02:04 PM

"Friends" reruns.

Politically Incorrect.

Conan O'Brien. Then the second running of Conan they play around 2:30 AM (at least for my affiliate). Sometimes Leno, but Conan all the way, man!

hayesk
Apr 12, 2002, 02:15 PM

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart comes first. Then Letterman.

Sealobo  (op)
Apr 12, 2002, 02:34 PM

Actually i think Alan is the funniest guy in the Late Show... LOL. He's one sick pyscho.

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2002, 03:00 PM

Leno, especially Mondays when he has "headlines".

TooMuchWeedGuy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2002, 03:14 PM

None of them are good.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2002, 03:17 PM

Leno is a hack, Letterman all the way. I like how his show has a much more casual feel, The Tonight show is very gimicky imho.

-matt

xyber233
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2002, 04:58 PM

Hey! I like gimmicks .

Montezuma58
Senior User
Apr 12, 2002, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by EmAn:
<STRONG>Leno, especially Mondays when he has "headlines".</STRONG>
I remember when most of what he did during that segment was actually headlines, goofed up picture placement, or other odities dealing with the news in the newspaper. Now he should just call it Jay's **ucked up adds because that's what most of it is. And most of it is not that funny.

I think Jay is just corny. I only watch him every two or three weeks because all he does is run the same jokes about the current hot topics into the ground for that period. Letterman on the other hand, can keep a gag going for months and still keep it entertaining.

I find Conan entertaining but I don't watch him every night. Killborne's "In the News Segment" of his show is pretty good but I can't stand the rest of the show he just acts like a narcisistic flake.

lenkman
Apr 12, 2002, 05:06 PM

Daily Show. Jon Stewart is the best.

Otherwise, I watch Leno, because his segments are better, even if his monologue is crap. Gotta love headlines, right?

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2002, 06:09 PM

as far as the "late night talk guys" go, leno sounds like someone sqeaking a balloon, letterman just isnt funny anymore, kilborn isnt as funny as he was when he was on thedailyshow, conan is sorta "wacky" but never really cuts it with me, i liked hal sparks on talk soup better than any of the other 3 people that did that show, um. ya. i dont really like that stuff. id rather watch howard stern. john stewarts daily show is ok.

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2002, 11:06 PM

I like Dave better, but then I used to watch him on NBC back before he moved. He has always had that strange sense of humor that I like better than what Jay serves up. If anyone ever comes across a copy of Late Night With David Letterman: The Book, I highly suggest you read it. Takes you back to when his show was really funny.

I do watch Jay to see Kevin Smith's stuff, and I'll admit to having it on last night 'cause Affleck was on. But I think that's the first time I've watched his show in a while.

Oh, and Conan rules. If only because of Max.

Now, if only they'd bring back John Henson, I could watch Talk Soup again. I miss that...

--J

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: Gene Jockey ]

Cellery
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2002, 11:32 PM

Letterman, I like his brand of snarky sarcastic humor. Leno's is bland and unimaginative, though he has better guests. Jay's show seems to be more polished with better production values, though I love Letterman's old segments with Rupert and the ones where he worked in the Taco Bell terrorizing people in the drivethrough. Everytime this question is asked on this board and others I visit, Letterman wins by a huge majority.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2002, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by Cellery:
<STRONG>Letterman, I like his brand of snarky sarcastic humor. Leno's is bland and unimaginative, though he has better guests. Jay's show seems to be more polished with better production values, though I love Letterman's old segments with Rupert and the ones where he worked in the Taco Bell terrorizing people in the drivethrough. Everytime this question is asked on this board and others I visit, Letterman wins by a huge majority.</STRONG>
I agree, I like Letterman a lot better, I didn't really watch the old shows, but sometimes he played some old tapes and they were really funny. That Taco Bell one (remember the guy who actually got the onions? ), the one where he would order random things to an apartment, go around a bunch of fast foods places, and this isn't THAT old, but the segment where he would get Rupert and that other guy to do a bunch of stuff, while Dave was in a van, those were great.

Leno on the other hand seems to have more money, so it's segments are sometimes okay, like were they actually make fake products or whatever, Dave sometimes does it. I like the Kid Scientists. But Dave wins by a long shot.

macthelastredman
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2002, 11:54 PM

Conan
iMac G4 800mhz 768 ram OS X (10.1.5) & iPod 5gb

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2002, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by sealobo:
<STRONG>Actually i think Alan is the funniest guy in the Late Show... LOL. He's one sick pyscho.

[image (desktop?) of Letterman removed for benefit of modem users]</STRONG>
Ugh, would you really want that mug on your desktop?

Tominator
Apr 13, 2002, 01:17 AM

Definitely Letterman. He's much more funny and is the best interviewer on late night television. His sidekicks (Paul, Alan, Rupert, etc.) are far better than anyone Leno or Conan has. Leno does get better guests on his show, although there's nothing more hilarious than when Richard Simmons comes on the Late Show. Damn that's awesome.

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2002, 09:26 PM

I used to be a letterman fan, now I prefer leno... Go figure...

Peter753
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2002, 09:13 PM

Conan O'Brien all the way.

Ricky
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2002, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by marusin:
<STRONG>What about "Late World With Zach" on VH1? Anyone catch that show yet? While it has it's dumb moments, I kinda like it! I see Zach as someone that would be on these message boards. Kinda geeky in a way but has a cool/hipster side to him as well...

and between Leno and Letterman? Definitely Letterman... Leno seems like a corporate puppet (not that anyone else on TV isn't, but he just gives me the impression that he has no say on things). At least Letterman throws his "own two cents" in at times... </STRONG>
My vote goes to Conan and Letterman. I have watched Late World with Zach on VH1, and I love it. He has more guests, more music, and some of those comedy bits are hilarious. I thought he was funnier when he had his beard, and wish he hadn't shaved.

Forum Links
Forum Rules