Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Navigating open/save boxes using keyboard?

Navigating open/save boxes using keyboard?
Sam Venning
Mar 17, 2002, 05:03 AM

One thing that has always made the MacOS (6-9) a delight is the ability to use the keyboard to navigate through the hard drive at the open/save dialog box.

MacOS 6-9:
Command Up-Arrow to move up a folder level.
Command Down-Arrow to move into a folder.
Press a letter to jump to a file/folder (starting with that character).
Tab between the navigation area, filename area, cancel and OK buttons.

Navigating MacOS X open/save dialog boxes using the keyboard seems to be limited.

MacOS X
Arrow keys (up or left to move up a folder level; down or right to move down a folder level). What about pressing a letter to jump down a list of items in a folder?... particularly useful for quickly moving through folders containing many items.

Am I missing something here? Is this still possible?

Cipher13
Mar 17, 2002, 06:04 AM

Originally posted by Sam Venning:
<STRONG>One thing that has always made the MacOS (6-9) a delight is the ability to use the keyboard to navigate through the hard drive at the open/save dialog box.

MacOS 6-9:
Command Up-Arrow to move up a folder level.
Command Down-Arrow to move into a folder.
Press a letter to jump to a file/folder (starting with that character).
Tab between the navigation area, filename area, cancel and OK buttons.

Navigating MacOS X open/save dialog boxes using the keyboard seems to be limited.

MacOS X
Arrow keys (up or left to move up a folder level; down or right to move down a folder level). What about pressing a letter to jump down a list of items in a folder?... particularly useful for quickly moving through folders containing many items.

Am I missing something here? Is this still possible?</STRONG>
I have the same gripe...

I use that always in OS9... Apple-Up, Down and arrow keys, etc.

OSX's poor navigation is one of my long-standing complaints.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2002, 06:42 AM

Open/Save dialog navigation is sorely broken in OSX. Cocoa apps behave rather well, but in Carbon apps, there are terrible bugs!

Here's how it's "supposed" to work (as it does currently in Cocoa apps):

right/left arrows - go lower/higher in the hierarchy, similar to cmd-up and cmd-down from OS9
up/down - scroll items in the current level, same as in OS9
typing letters - select the item whose name starts with those letters, same as OS9

The "letter typing" bit is probably the buggiest part for Carbon apps. Not only does it often send you flying to the top of the hierarchy, but it can also inflict some strange drawing bugs. See the weird arrows stuck to the left of this dialog that appeared when trying to type some letters to navigate? Tsk, tsk...

I personally HATE column view for these dialogs. They are far too small for seeing a lot of files. Yes, I know the whole box can usually be resized, but the individual columns can not.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

Floh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2002, 07:28 AM

I miss that functionality very much.
Another shortcut I�m loking for is (like CMD-D in OS9) something that takes you to the main level of your system (where you can select a different drive). Right now CMD-D takes you to your desktop, but because of the new multi-user-abilities of OSX this is not the place where your drives show up.
I really hope that Apple fixes the navigation-bugs in the open-save dialogs.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2002, 12:29 PM

It works well for Cocoa apps, as others have pointed out. For Carbon apps, it's really badly broken, but DefaultFolder fixes this problem (this alone makes it worth the upgrade price, and there's all kinds of other neat stuff it can do too).

Here's hoping it's fixed for good in 10.2 though.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2002, 12:32 PM

Not only does column view not work well for that reason, it also is incapable of displaying any addtional metadata aside from the filename and icon. Given that I never use Miller Columns by choice, I find it highly annoying that I'm not even given a choice there.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 17, 2002, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by Floh:
<STRONG>I miss that functionality very much.
Another shortcut I�m loking for is (like CMD-D in OS9) something that takes you to the main level of your system (where you can select a different drive). Right now CMD-D takes you to your desktop, but because of the new multi-user-abilities of OSX this is not the place where your drives show up.
I really hope that Apple fixes the navigation-bugs in the open-save dialogs.</STRONG>
Actually there are keyboard shortcuts. They're exactly the same as the ones in the Finder and they work in both Cocoa and Carbon apps.

Cmd-Opt-A: Apps folder
Cmd-Opt-H: Home folder
Cmd-Opt-C: Computer/drive list
Cmd-Opt-F: Favorites folder

The only one that doesn't work in Carbon apps is Cmd-Opt-I for your iDisk, it only works in Cocoa apps.

But yes, those open/save dialogs need a lot more functionality.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

bewebste
Senior User
Mar 17, 2002, 12:52 PM

The most annoying bug in the Carbon dialogs (for me) is the way it handles the left arrow key. Let's say you are in a folder with files labelled "a", "b", "c", "d", and "e", with item "d" selected, and the containing folder is labelled "a" with siblings "b" through "e". Looks something like this, with selected items in bold (please excuse the poor ASCII art):

a &gt; a
b b
c c
d d
e e

In Cocoa, pressing the left arrow will select the folder "a" (the one in bold), which is correct. In Carbon, pressing the left arrow will select the item one level up which is on the same line as the currently selected item. So, if you had the "d" file selected and press the left arrow, it would select the folder named "d" one level up, rather than the folder named "a", like it should. It's kind of hard to describe, but just try navigating with the left and right arrow keys in a Carbon save panel and you'll see what a mess it is.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2002, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by SS3 GokouX:
<STRONG>

Actually there are keyboard shortcuts. They're exactly the same as the ones in the Finder and they work in both Cocoa and Carbon apps.

Cmd-Opt-A: Apps folder
Cmd-Opt-H: Home folder
Cmd-Opt-C: Computer/drive list
Cmd-Opt-F: Favorites folder

The only one that doesn't work in Carbon apps is Cmd-Opt-I for your iDisk, it only works in Cocoa apps.

But yes, those open/save dialogs need a lot more functionality.</STRONG>
Those are good shortcuts-- thanks. I personally like being able to scroll with the arrow keys. To get to the drives at root level, just hold the left arrow down for a second or two. (only takes one finger instead of three) Seems pretty easy to me.

They do need to return the functionality of typing a letter to be taken down the list alphabetically. This is definitely a glaring omission, as scrolling down a list of more than ten or fifteen folders gets fatiguing.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 17, 2002, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by bewebste:
<STRONG>It's kind of hard to describe, but just try navigating with the left and right arrow keys in a Carbon save panel and you'll see what a mess it is.</STRONG>
Oh, I see what you're saying now. I almost told you that's how it's supposed to be until I started playing with a Carbon app more. Yes, that's very messed up. Sometimes you can't even use the left arrow if you're in a "Save" dialog because the item it want's to select isn't a folder. Carbon apps won't let you select anything but folders when saving, it seems. That's really annoying because you'd think hitting left should take you one level up, but it wants to do that at the same time as selecting whatever item is on that specific line!

Ugh, ya, I agree with you. It's almost like they programmed that one on purpose.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2002, 02:28 AM

Yes, and unfortunately most apps right now are Carbon.

The messed up Open/Save boxes have annoyed me from day 1. I would really enjoy being able to have a list view option for them. Collum view, while nice in a large Finder window, is way to clumbsy for the smaller Open/Save dialogs.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2002, 06:38 AM

I personally HATE column view for these dialogs. They are far too small for seeing a lot of files. Yes, I know the whole box can usually be resized, but the individual columns can not.[/QB]

I think if you hold the Option Key down and move the resize thumb on any column you will find you can resize the width of only the column to the left on an individual basis :-)

Targon

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2002, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by Targon:
<STRONG>I think if you hold the Option Key down and move the resize thumb on any column you will find you can resize the width of only the column to the left on an individual basis</STRONG>
Wrong. We're talking about open/save dialogs, not the Finder.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

shortcipher
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2002, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by starfleetX:
<STRONG>Wrong. We're talking about open/save dialogs, not the Finder.</STRONG>
mmm, wrong context yes, but actually a damn useful hint, thanks!

SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2002, 02:29 PM

Stupid newbie question:

In the Finder, once you have navigated to your file (using arrow keys) how do you open it without using the mouse clicks?

thanks noisefloor!

[ 03-20-2002: Message edited by: SillyMonk ]
My life is my argument. --Albert Schweitzer

noisefloor
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2002, 04:35 PM

Command-O (that's oh, not zero)

bewebste
Senior User
Mar 20, 2002, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by Apfhex:
<STRONG>Yes, and unfortunately most apps right now are Carbon.

The messed up Open/Save boxes have annoyed me from day 1. I would really enjoy being able to have a list view option for them. Collum view, while nice in a large Finder window, is way to clumbsy for the smaller Open/Save dialogs.</STRONG>
In Cocoa apps, if you hold down the option key while you resize the dialog, it will increase the width of the columns rather than creating new ones when the window gets large enough. It seems to always snap back to having two columns when doing this, but you can have two really wide columns. Of course this doesn't work in Carbon apps.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2002, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by starfleetX:
<STRONG>Wrong. We're talking about open/save dialogs, not the Finder.</STRONG>
Resizing a Cocoa open or save panel with the option key down will also resize the columns.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules