Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > java improvements in 10.2?

java improvements in 10.2?
dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2002, 11:18 AM

has anything in regard to the rather disgraceful performance of java-app(let)s as in 10.0.x-10.1.x been improved in the latest builds of 10.2?
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2002, 01:20 PM

Jaguar will have an updated 1.3.1, but I don't know if it's faster.

<a href="http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/" target="_blank">http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/</a>
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2002, 07:49 PM

Apple is theoretically working on the JDK 1.4. But applets sadly need more than that to run well under any OS. They need a Browser to support them. Currently the best support is in Mozilla with the Java plugin available seperately for download. However, Apple has a somewhat spotty record in Java and I have the feeling that the roller coaster ride that is the relationship between Apple and Sun is the cause of this. Sun was probably not exactly pleased to read about the Xserve because it competes nicely with Sun's Cobalt offerings.
weird wabbit

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2002, 02:31 AM

Originally posted by theolein:
Apple is theoretically working on the JDK 1.4. But applets sadly need more than that to run well under any OS. They need a Browser to support them. Currently the best support is in Mozilla with the Java plugin available seperately for download. However, Apple has a somewhat spotty record in Java and I have the feeling that the roller coaster ride that is the relationship between Apple and Sun is the cause of this. Sun was probably not exactly pleased to read about the Xserve because it competes nicely with Sun's Cobalt offerings.
Why would you say this? I mean M$ and Sun HATE each other with a passion, yet Windows have Java 1.4.1 available for download??

So much for OS X to have the most advanced Java plaform of any OS..sounds like a crock of **** from Apple. hushmail.com applets still wont work in OS X yet Windows an Linux do work

Tominator
Aug 7, 2002, 02:46 AM

Originally posted by Targon:

Why would you say this? I mean M$ and Sun HATE each other with a passion, yet Windows have Java 1.4.1 available for download??

So much for OS X to have the most advanced Java plaform of any OS..sounds like a crock of **** from Apple. hushmail.com applets still wont work in OS X yet Windows an Linux do work
The Java platform that Apple provides in OS X is indeed excellent. However, it's up to the browser developers to provide a nice implementation. I'm not intimately familiar with the hushmail.com applets, but it's likely either the fault of whichever browser you're using, or the writers of the applet.

In the case of Linux, you're using Sun's own Java implementation with their well regarded Java browser plugin.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2002, 03:17 AM

Originally posted by Tominator:

The Java platform that Apple provides in OS X is indeed excellent. However, it's up to the browser developers to provide a nice implementation. I'm not intimately familiar with the hushmail.com applets, but it's likely either the fault of whichever browser you're using, or the writers of the applet.

In the case of Linux, you're using Sun's own Java implementation with their well regarded Java browser plugin.
Dude its EVERY OSX browser...nothing works i have tried them all.

Additionally i installed Linux an finally managed to get a Java plugin running but the browsers crashed as soon as the applet began to load. Browsers there were Galeon and Nautilus and Netscape.

Forum Links
Forum Rules