Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Max Payne

Max Payne
iamnid
Senior User
Aug 13, 2002, 02:35 PM

I know the requirements on the box say it won't work with the original 500mhz ibook -- but I also know that RTCW had similar requirements and many have been able to get it to run on their ibooks -- does anybody know if Max Payne will run on the original dual-usb ibook?

El Pre$idente
Banned
Aug 13, 2002, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by iamnid:
I know the requirements on the box say it won't work with the original 500mhz ibook -- but I also know that RTCW had similar requirements and many have been able to get it to run on their ibooks -- does anybody know if Max Payne will run on the original dual-usb ibook?
if it did it would run like ****. The game needs at least a G4-733 with Geforce 2MX for smooth play.

frock83
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2002, 03:06 AM

thats totally untrue presidente. I have a 466mhz g4 with a geforce2mx 64meg and it runs great. However, you are right about the game not running well on his computer, you probably only have a 8meg video card which would make it choppy.

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2002, 03:16 AM

I thinking about buying Max Payne...
My specs:
iMac G3 600MHz
Rage 128 Ultra 16mb vram
512 mb ram

Will Max Payne run decently and be playable on my mac?
I just bought this mac for about a little bit over a year.

The min specs according to MacSoft are:
128 mb ram
G3 450 MHz
16 mb vram video card

iamnid  (op)
Senior User
Aug 15, 2002, 02:20 PM

Actually it says a 16mb radeon or geforce 2 or better.

Incidentally, it does run great on my computer -- just not on my ibook.

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2002, 03:05 PM

the macsoft site and the infogrames support site says it requires a 16mb open gl compatible graphics card and recommends a 32mb open gl compatible graphics card for max payne for the mac.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2002, 04:11 PM

3D games these days rely very little on processor speed and almost entirely on graphics-card-speed.

There are some modern games (liek WC3) that run BETTER on my DP450 with a Radeon than on my friend's P4 1,800 MHz with some crappy old nVidia card (pre-GeForce2). A P4-1800 whoops (majorly) a G4-450 (since games only use one processor -- find me one that uses both and you'll get a cookie) in terms of raw processor speed, so the graphics card has te make the difference, even though my card is �ber-crappy by today's standards anyway.

At any rate, my point: Though you have 512MB RAM and a 600MHz processor, your 16MB Rage will severly degrade your performance, more so than you think it should.
Be happy.

joe
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2002, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by mac freak:
...since games only use one processor -- find me one that uses both and you'll get a cookie
-Quake3
-Giants: Citizen Cabuto
-STV Elite Force

I like Chips Ahoy .......joe

mac freak
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2002, 12:56 AM

**Gives Joe three Chips Ahoy�s**
Be happy.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Aug 17, 2002, 06:32 AM

I got a copy of Max Payne yesterday, and it works fine on a 600 Mhz iBook with 640 MB RAM and 8 MB VRAM in OS 9. All settings set to low. It still looks nice though and is really playable.

padawan255
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2002, 02:16 PM

Anyone knows how do I use the command line parameter -developer to gain access to cheat codes on Max Payne (Mac OS X)?

a2daj
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2002, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by padawan255:
Anyone knows how do I use the command line parameter -developer to gain access to cheat codes on Max Payne (Mac OS X)?
It tells how in the HTML Readme in the Help folder. But in short, startup the game and immediately hold down Option-d. You will hear a chime if you did it right. The startup Options dialog box should show up. Click on the picture of Max and another dialog box should pop up. You should be able to figure out the rest from there.

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2002, 01:28 AM

Thanks b00zo! I guess I'm gonna buy me a copy of Max Payne.
Happy gaming everyone!

Tominator
Aug 18, 2002, 03:51 AM

Originally posted by mac freak:
3D games these days rely very little on processor speed and almost entirely on graphics-card-speed.

There are some modern games (liek WC3) that run BETTER on my DP450 with a Radeon than on my friend's P4 1,800 MHz with some crappy old nVidia card (pre-GeForce2). A P4-1800 whoops (majorly) a G4-450 (since games only use one processor -- find me one that uses both and you'll get a cookie) in terms of raw processor speed, so the graphics card has te make the difference, even though my card is �ber-crappy by today's standards anyway.

At any rate, my point: Though you have 512MB RAM and a 600MHz processor, your 16MB Rage will severly degrade your performance, more so than you think it should.
Actually, that's pretty incorrect. Of course your G4 is outperforming your friend's PC! Your Radeon is superior to any "pre-Geforce2" nVidia card. In the case of your friend's fast PC, his CPU was vastly more capable than the graphics card, but everything on screen is limited by the capabilities of that antiquated card. His P4 can't force the GPU to do more than it is capable of. Any modern graphics card is dependent on the CPU to keep it fed with data. The faster your CPU is, the closer your GPU will be able to approach its peak performance.

Likewise, putting a faster card in your Mac isn't going to make much of a difference in any modern game. Your CPUs with their (comparatively) low clockrate and memory bandwidth are only able to feed so much data to the graphics card.

iamnid  (op)
Senior User
Aug 19, 2002, 02:34 PM

Thanks bOOzo for being the only person to actually answer my question.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Aug 19, 2002, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by iamnid:
Thanks bOOzo for being the only person to actually answer my question.
Sure no problem, just glad I could help.

I'd like to try it in 10.2 to see if there is any improvements in speed over 10.1.5 since the game tend to slow down sometimes on my G4.. I'm starting to think that Geforce 2mx is not a very good graphics card for games...

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2002, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by bOOzo:

Sure no problem, just glad I could help.

I'd like to try it in 10.2 to see if there is any improvements in speed over 10.1.5 since the game tend to slow down sometimes on my G4.. I'm starting to think that Geforce 2mx is not a very good graphics card for games...
I play in 1024 by 768 with most things on normal. The game runs smooth with a few slowdowns in the later level (but only very brief and they don't effect gameplay)

Also there are a few issues with the input to the keyboard so sometimes your keyboard acts dead and you you need to restart the game. But once you are playing it is pretty stable the odd sound crash aside. (6 crashes of the game on a play through over 6 days..)

OS X 10.2 Release Version

Cheers Edwin

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Aug 20, 2002, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by edddeduck:

I play in 1024 by 768 with most things on normal. The game runs smooth with a few slowdowns in the later level (but only very brief and they don't effect gameplay)

Also there are a few issues with the input to the keyboard so sometimes your keyboard acts dead and you you need to restart the game. But once you are playing it is pretty stable the odd sound crash aside. (6 crashes of the game on a play through over 6 days..)

OS X 10.2 Release Version

Cheers Edwin
What setup do you have? How is it compared to 10.1.5??

iamnid  (op)
Senior User
Aug 20, 2002, 01:17 PM

I've never had any keyboard lockups. As boozo mentioned, performance is lagging in OS X! In OS 9 on my g4 I play with all settings on MAX and it runs perfectly smooth in 1024*768... not so in OS X. I'd love to see Jaguar improve game performance.

OSX Abuser
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2002, 02:26 PM

I just want to tell Infogrames and MacSoft
Great work on the game
I just finished it and it did not crash once
Unlike Medal of Dishonor anal ASSault
Reality is the playground of the unimaginative

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2002, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
I got a copy of Max Payne yesterday, and it works fine on a 600 Mhz iBook with 640 MB RAM and 8 MB VRAM in OS 9. All settings set to low. It still looks nice though and is really playable.
I'd like to play this on my Pismo. Plusses: 1 GB of RAM. Minuses: 8 meg Rage 128

It is doable?

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Aug 23, 2002, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by Don Pickett:

I'd like to play this on my Pismo. Plusses: 1 GB of RAM. Minuses: 8 meg Rage 128

It is doable?
Recommended minimum is 450 MHz G3, if your Pismo meet that requirement it will probably work. Just play with all setting set to low.

I'm just guessing though..

cdrgonzo20
Aug 24, 2002, 10:10 PM

This game really performs very well and finally offers mac gamers a bunch of nifty options that were up until 10.2 absent. Most notably antialiasing on nvidia cards and anisotropic filtering. I have the game running at full quality, 1024x768 on my DA 733 512mb ram and GeForce 4Ti. I was worried after having played MoH that the graphics card was being bogged down by the processor, however, after playing Max Payne this simply cannot be the case. MoH, I believe, is programmed to use a much larger chunk of CPU power, and just feels generally much less responsive than Payne. So far it really is a tight game... I'm thinking about getting giants for cheap since now the special FX should be fully functional.
There is no emoticon for what I am feeling!
-------------------------------------
My system specs:

2 furry caches
17" diaganol quad pumped weener
198 lb ham
44x36x57 CWR
overpriced, underperforming, but sleek nonetheless.

I also have a G4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules