Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Altering Default System Icons

Altering Default System Icons
dgs212
Senior User
Sep 1, 2002, 03:29 PM

When I try to open the file HIToolbox.rsrc in Iconographer (versions 2.3 and 2.4), so i can alter the default system icons, instead of getting a long window with every single system icon, I get one window with only the Classic icon for volume (the little loudspeaker). Anybody know why this is so? I edited my sytem icons once before using this method, but when I installed Jaguar, the icons reverted. I tried to use the same procedure, but it's not working. Any tips/hints? What am I doing wrong? Are system icons located in another file in Jaguar?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2002, 08:12 AM

Yeah, the icons have all been moved! They are now located at...
/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemIcons.bundle/Contents/Resources/SystemIcons.rsrc
To change the dock icons for the finder and the trash you have to go to...
/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/ and replace the Finder.png and Trash.png's (these are pictures more than icons). And to make them stick you have to trash your com.apple.dock.plist preference in your preferences folder in your home directory and restart, or it will remember the old ones somehow.
The excellent new app CandyBar from versiontracker can change all the system icons for you much easier than you can do it with iconographer though. I just can't do the Finder dock-icon.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2002, 08:21 AM

Originally posted by mrtew:
. . . to make them stick you have to trash your com.apple.dock.plist preference in your preferences folder in your home directory and restart, or it will remember the old ones somehow.
I don't mean to derail the thread but it sounds like you answered the question. So, would the plist preferences have anything to do with me losing my customized toolbar in my finder - which have reverted back to the "default" Jag settings? fwiw, this has happend to me twice now

Forum Links
Forum Rules