Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Do bluetooth and airport play nice together ?

Do bluetooth and airport play nice together ?
mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2003, 08:10 AM

Wasn't sure were to post this :-)

I have an airport network (graphite ABS)
at home connected to ADSL. I am thinking about getting bluetooth for my PB and Palm so I can connect the Palm to the PB and share the internet connection.

Are they going to work together OK or are they going to interfere with each other ?

There is also a 12" PB with airport extreme in the house using the internet connection. I don't want to mess that up either.

Of course what I really need is the secure digital WiFi card but it has been delayed.

Michael

geekwagon
Senior User
May 12, 2003, 04:01 PM

I have a 17" powerbook, and I use both a t68i and a Tungsten T via bluetooth. In almost every case, airport extreme and bluetooth don't seem to interfere with each other at all. I have had problems when the "Sony Ericcson Clicker" software is polling for my phone which is out of range causing my airport to slow to a crawl. When it is able to talk the the phone though, no problem. I also specifically tried doing internet access via my T68i and had no slowdowns on my local network via airport. The developer of the software feels he has a fix for this issue with clicker which will be out soon.

So, in general you will have no trouble with conflicts between bluetooth and 802.11 even though they both use the same antennas and frequency.

DeepDish
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2003, 02:26 PM

Old topic, new question.

You say there is no problem with bluetooth and airport base station.

Does it make a difference if I am using a linksys 802.11g and a usb bluetooth adapter I buy off of ebay?

On a sidenote, those usb bluetooth adapters on ebay have little attenias that they are good up to 100 meters.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 27, 2003, 02:49 PM

If it's Bluetooth, it works in the same frequency range as all other Bluetooth, so it shouldn't matter if it comes from Apple, SMC, or "Bob's Bluetooth and Stormdoor Company," it will do fine.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Renderdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2004, 05:38 PM

The bluetooth keyboard and mouse came with my machine and work fine normally. However when I play iTunes on my stereo through an Airport Express the mouse stutters and the keyboard lags; sometimes they lose the connection. Setting iTunes back to "computer" clears everything up.

I installed all the software updates and latest firmware in hopes of fixing the problem, but it's still there.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 1, 2004, 06:12 PM

Render,

Your problem is almost certainly that iTunes sends so much data wirelessly that it overwhelms the Bluetooth signal. I believe that there is very little difference between Bluetooth and wireless frequencies, and it's likely that wireless networking uses a higher transmit power.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Renderdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2004, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the reply Glenn, it does look like the frequencies for the Airport and Bluetooth being very close was the problem.

Changing the transmitter power didn't help; maybe that just changes the Airport Express's power anyway, not the power at the computer.

However, changing the Channel from "Automatic" to "10" did the trick.

I think I still detect a slightly slower update to the mouse, but it's much better, very usable. I will experiment with the other channels to see if I can get better mouse response.

Forum Links
Forum Rules