Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > OS X - Desktop Publishing my Azz

OS X - Desktop Publishing my Azz
DeepDish
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2003, 08:28 PM

I have been a long time Mac user.

And will continue to be.

But since moving to OS X, it has been a constant struggle to keep my system running smoothing.

Scanner drivers and printer drivers are not being updated to OS X.

Fonts are a night mare. We have tried Suitcase and Font Reserve. System font conflicts, classic Quark font problems, now Panther is not compatible with Quark and Font Reserve. Suitcase is limping along in Panther.

I know, I know, I should upgrade from Quark 4.1. But don't get me started on Quark. Besides, from what I have read, Quark 6 and FR don't play well together either.

My point is, I thought the Mac Operating System was suppose to be the best for desktop publishing. With all of these changes, conflicts and non-upgradable drivers, I don't know it this is true anymore.

Yea mac, boo hiss winblows,

DD

art_director
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2003, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by DeepDish:
My point is, I thought the Mac Operating System was suppose to be the best for desktop publishing. With all of these changes, conflicts and non-upgradable drivers, I don't know it this is true anymore.
don't know how long you've been in the design gig but long timers know upgrading to the latest and greatest mac os is ALWAYS an expensive sport � in terms of cash and in terms of frustration with software compatability. just part of the sport.

as for windows machines, well, just try getting those files printed...

DeepDish  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2003, 10:46 PM

Been an Art Director for a nice city magazine for about seven years now (even though I can't spell)

I can't help it. I am compelled to do every upgrade the day it comes out. Except for Quark. God I love Quark 4.1, hate the company, but love the program.

Keep telling myself, this is the month I try to switch to InDesign. Never happens.

Panther and Font Reserve are killing me right now. I wish Extensis would come out already with thier new hybrid font solution.

I will never leave the mac. But does seem like a lot of compatibility issues over the past two years.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2003, 02:17 AM

staying on the bleeding edge always burns you.

If it aint broke, don't fix it. I have no plans to upgrade my OS from jaguar anytime soon, much less upgrade my software. Its working, its working well, and I can't risk the downtime right now that comes with the latest and greatest. Get out of that bad habit of downloading and installing the newest crap, its a bad habit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules