Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Are all Powerbook users rich/well off?

Are all Powerbook users rich/well off? (Page 3)
TiDual
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2004, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by ibulldog:
Just a quick observation: You folks really make me laugh from time to time. I like wading through these forums to see what opinions you have to offer and seek advice when needed. But most often, I simply like to sit back and read. You're like a group of students--seriously--all different, but with a common agenda. I like being a part of your community.
Group hug!

rm199
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2004, 08:03 AM

some of us non students come here to re-live past times... oh the joys of 'Tavern Studies 101' and the general feeling of hope before the weight of the world crushes your spirits

Voch
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2004, 08:22 AM

I'm a Java application developer getting along pretty well. My refurb TiBook 667/DVI is my home/travel/Internet machine (what I come home to after using a PC at work all day...Windows is OK for just FireFox, NetBeans, CVS, and XMLSpy ).

With the money I make I *should* upgrade soon but the 667 is chugging along fine for what I use it for. My plan is to get a Rev A PBG5 (Rev A machines don't scare me...my Rev A iBook/500 was perfect and is still in use by my stepaunt) or one of the last PBG4s when the PBG5 is introduced (apologies for bringing up the PBG5 again).

Voch

vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2004, 10:37 AM

I'm a college student (Print journalism major at Virginia Commonwealth University), I'm getting ready to start a job as the website manager for our campus paper next school year, and I'm going to be paying off the loan for my 15" Albook for the next 10 years or so. Financial aid covered it.

I used my tax return to buy a 20 gig iPod. :-)

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Apr 23, 2004, 10:39 AM

Isn't that true that for people who are *really* well off, they probably don't have time posting in the forum?

Voch
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2004, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by fortepianissimo:
Isn't that true that for people who are *really* well off, they probably don't have time posting in the forum?
They could have their butlers/lackeys do it.

"Smithers! Dispatch this note to the MacNN PowerBook Forum! Post-haste!"

Voch

jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2004, 10:55 AM

I am in college too...and during my co-op semesters I safe to pay for school and last summer sold my old cube G4 (which was bought with a prize fund) and safe a bit more to grab my TiBook...which by the way my GF is buying it from me so I can get a NEW 12"

riotge@r
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2004, 11:26 AM

I work at eBay and do quite well.

rm199
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2004, 11:26 AM

actually it would be the opposite, the really 'well-to-dos' have more time than anyone else for posting in forums...

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2004, 12:07 PM

Well I work for an ISP here in NJ. I'm pretty much the only Mac guy here. I also have started my own company to help bring computer classes to the enduser. most end users don't have time to go to classes so I arrange a time with them and teach them in there house. I also do Product photography and graphic design as well. There is no other machine I would rather start a company with than my Mac. I'm by no means rich yet.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

SketchPad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2004, 12:20 PM

I'm poor....

I've got study depth over my ears...but I handle it and pay back
via monthly paybacks..

I've got no home of my own, not even an appartment,
and no job. My education as an Animator blew the budget
away...and I ended up jobless when all of a sudden there
where no need for animators when I finished my expensive
education.

And Still....I went out and bought a 17" g4 1.33 Powerbook
brand new...full price...head over heels in depth, but still
manageable...

I just fell in love with this computer...and Still love it.
If i need to live on a few extra can's of beens while
doing my artwork just to own this wonderful tool...

...I'll do it..

/SketchPad
/SketchPad

threestain
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2004, 12:52 PM

Well I'm as broke as I've ever been but seeing as I need a computer for med school its immaterial.

But my family are pretty helpful and tax breaks are good in the uk for it

why do scandenavians end letters and e-mails etc with /name?

cowboybop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2004, 01:12 PM

Rich? Only in my dreams.

Well off? Of the beaten track.

Educated? History degree, Philosophy student.

Addicted? Since Nov. 2004 PB 15", iPod 15gb.

Debt? How the west was won.

Snarf13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2004, 01:44 PM

I'm just completing my junior year as a Computer Science major. Since my Powerbook is still on it's way, I'm hoping it'll last through grad school. I have a decent internship, and needed a laptop for the summer. After I fell in love with my iPod I knew I'd be switching to a Mac eventually.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2004, 02:14 PM

I don't need a PowerBook right now. I needed a desktop and a laptop so I bought an iMac and an iBook (new G3 when the G4 came out) since my needs are met with them. It was a nice upgrade from a PowerMac 6500 and a PB 540c. I work full time and I'm back in college full time . Changing my career to IT Networking/Security and only 1 year to go. My Apple stuff is worth more than my car.

After I graduate I will get a PowerBook.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2004, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by Snarf13:
After I fell in love with my iPod I knew I'd be switching to a Mac eventually.
Muhahahaha that is part of the plan... You fall in love with the iPod next thing you know you're buying a Mac.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2004, 04:04 PM

I'm a student, and I'm always broke thanks to my Macintosh addiction. If it wasn't for this nice Library job I have, I'd not be able to buy anything. I'd go crazy.

riotge@r
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2004, 04:05 PM

I am ordering a 15" 1.5GHZ next week. This will be my 4th PowerBook in 2 years.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

SketchPad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2004, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by threestain:

why do scandenavians end letters and e-mails etc with /name?
I can only answer for this scandinavian (me)..
And now that you mention it...I'm not really sure why
I do that...

Maybe it's a coder's habit?

/* S
/SketchPad

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2004, 06:01 PM

I don't have a very large income (looking to change that ), I've never made more than $20,000/yr, but I am both a computer geek and a person whose job benefits greatly from the use of technology (but I'm not in a position where I have an employer to provide me with free equipment). So buying a Mac is sort of the first essential expense after food and shelter, both for my hobbies and for my job. Yes, a top of the line Mac is more expensive than some cheap PC, but look how well it works!

threestain
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2004, 06:12 PM

but one of my friends is swedish and he signs off e-mails /p but he's not a coder or anything like it so I'm stumped!

dar77777
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2004, 07:30 PM

I'm an Economics and New Media student. I also own a clothing store in a mall but I don't work there. I work part time as a Marketing Coordinator for a large company. I also do some freelance work.
I use my 17" Powerbook for both business and school. I keep all my important business files on the PB because I don't trust my PC which requires formats every several months.
One time I was showing some samples to a client on the PB and he was like "I'm sorry I didn't see those samples because I was looking at your laptop."

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2004, 07:55 PM

I've been rich and I've been poor, and at both times I owned a PowerBook. Go figure.

KidKit
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2004, 09:04 PM

I'm definitely not rich... in academic research here. Actually, I'm surprised at how few people from the scientific community replied in this thread. Given how prevalent Mac is in the scientific community, especially the life sciences.

Most departments in the institution I work in use macs, we've got NT and Win2K terminals in the libraries, admin depts and the student carrels... but most research labs here run on Macs.\

Patsfan1978
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2004, 10:08 PM

Well off.... I have never been well off. I will be well off when they close my casket! LOL!
I have been unemployed longer than I would say on a public forum. Its shameful. Im either overqualified or underqualified. Go figure.
I have had my TiBook for a few months. Got a great deal on it from someone who hates macs and wanted a PC laptop instead. So I bought it from him to spare him from it as he put it! Crazy I know.
I got lucky and Im glad I did. Powerbooks are the best.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2004, 12:00 AM

Low 6 figures and have owned Apples since 1979. Uncle sam pays a large part of my hardware expenses, since they are used in my business. I am so cheap, I still own a lot of my older computers back to 2 PB 100s.

My Momma done told me " don't buy it if you can't pay cash!" and that has been my moto ever since. I hope all you "youngsters" (no offense) will be smart and put away a liitle so you can always pay cash for Apple's latest toys (I mean tools).

As Dave Ramsey says "I'M DEBT FREE!"

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2004, 12:16 AM

I'm not a powerbook user cuz I wanna get one that matches my hummer, y0. Bling bling.
Aloha

icemank121
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2004, 12:47 AM

I am 19, married, father of 1, I support my family, my wife doesn't work. My grandparents got an apple loan to get me this laptop, and I pay the payment. I also have an iPod.

SketchPad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2004, 04:15 AM

Originally posted by romeosc:
My Momma done told me " don't buy it if you can't pay cash!" and that has been my moto ever since. I hope all you "youngsters" (no offense) will be smart and put away a liitle so you can always pay cash for Apple's latest toys (I mean tools). As Dave Ramsey says "I'M DEBT FREE!"
That's good advice...

BUT....

I'm no youngster myself, and I find taking up a loan for
such a useful machine is a way of "FORCING" myself to save
up for it and getting to use it at the same time.

Otherwise I'd probably just continue to spend money on
useless smaller items, of course I could save up for
an Apple ....but at least now I can exuse things away
by saying....Well...I gotta pay the bills first instead of
just handing over my savings :o)

/S
/SketchPad

Phil the Fish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2004, 07:39 AM

Originally posted by SketchPad:

---- snip -----
and I find taking up a loan for
such a useful machine is a way of "FORCING" myself to save
up for it and getting to use it at the same time.

/S
I have to agree ......
Just over three and a half years ago, I wanted / needed a new desktop to replace my old PowerMac G3 �. Only way I could was to stop smoking and take a loan out (having stopped for 3 months to prove to the wife that I could do it) for the equivalent monies �.
I based this on a 3 year cycle �. I was smoking up to 30 cigs a day at 7ukp a day (approx), thus 2500 ukp a year, so over 3 years 7500 quid (not sure what that is in USD)�.
Any way this has now become my smoking money fund, and it�s the only money I have for new TOYS, fishing tackle etc � and the wife can�t say anything �cos she�s still smoking� and I decided to play safe, capping the loan to 4.5k and putting some of my income away each month for cash buys as and when I wanted�.
The first loan has now been paid off, I�ve managed to put aside 2k for the now ordered 15 inch PB � and looking to take out a new smoking loan for a G5 and software that I�d like to replace my Duel 500 PowerMac, sometime towards the end of the year..
And THE REAL PLUS � every time I think of a cigarette, I instantly start dreaming of the next Apple toy to buy!!!!

Phil
Phil the Fish
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz, SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB, IGB RAM/128MB VRAM
PM G4 D500 1.25GB RAM, 40GB HD

toshigen
Apr 24, 2004, 09:08 AM

I'm not rich, and spending $2000 or more on a computer would be a ton of money for me... so I still use a 500MHz Pismo.

I'm in a transition period right now. I used to live in Florida and got tired of the heat and just needed a change of scenery after living there for 16 years. So, the wife and I moved to Cleveland, Ohio. The income is low at the moment since I'm just working part time for the company I left in FL, and doing some freelance web design.

Now I'm not sure what to do with the rest of my life. I started doing web design quite by accident 8 years ago before most people knew the internet even existed... and even though I'm good at it, I've never really felt that it was what I truly wanted to do. So, I'm teaching myself to program in Objective-C/Cocoa. If that doesn't work out, maybe I'll design furniture or become a chef.

I better figure it out soon, there's a daughter on the way.

riotge@r
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2004, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by Phil the Fish:
I have to agree ......
Just over three and a half years ago, I wanted / needed a new desktop to replace my old PowerMac G3 �. Only way I could was to stop smoking and take a loan out (having stopped for 3 months to prove to the wife that I could do it) for the equivalent monies �.
I based this on a 3 year cycle �. I was smoking up to 30 cigs a day at 7ukp a day (approx), thus 2500 ukp a year, so over 3 years 7500 quid (not sure what that is in USD)�.
Any way this has now become my smoking money fund, and it�s the only money I have for new TOYS, fishing tackle etc � and the wife can�t say anything �cos she�s still smoking� and I decided to play safe, capping the loan to 4.5k and putting some of my income away each month for cash buys as and when I wanted�.
The first loan has now been paid off, I�ve managed to put aside 2k for the now ordered 15 inch PB � and looking to take out a new smoking loan for a G5 and software that I�d like to replace my Duel 500 PowerMac, sometime towards the end of the year..
And THE REAL PLUS � every time I think of a cigarette, I instantly start dreaming of the next Apple toy to buy!!!!

Phil
My Dual G5, 15" Albook, iPod, and 23" ACD were all paid in cash. I'm not about to pay interest on a computer.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

dmwogan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2004, 02:56 PM

College student here also. Im majoring in Mechanical Engineering. Alot of the programs I need are for PC but there are some for Mac such as MatLab and some other computational programs.... I'm still waiting for AutoCad though. Ive always been a mac person so it doesnt bother me. I can't think of using anything else. We had a Performa 6115 for at least 5-6 years before we bought a new computer and the new one happened to be a Dell...Yeah so lets just say I have Ti Book now. I'm not super rich or anything either. I got mine last year after I got some money put into savings. Otherwise it would have been awhile before I got mine. But I do take it to school sometimes cause they got wireless all over campus (thanks UT).

David
The snozberries taste like snozberries.

Phil the Fish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2004, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by riotge@r:
My Dual G5, 15" Albook, iPod, and 23" ACD were all paid in cash. I'm not about to pay interest on a computer.
If you have the cash in hand then I'd have to agree, no reason to pay lots more for no good reason .... but for lesser mortals like myself without that cash in hand, if I want that sort of toy to use TODAY, rather than in one, two, three years time (AND I CAN AFFORD THE REPAYMENTS), then the interest is the price I pay ... although in my case (and not perhaps applicable to others here) I used it as a very powerful reason to stop smoking at the same time ..... and used it as a reward system to beat my addiction .....

Now if only I could find a way to beat my Mac addiction.....

Phil
Phil the Fish
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz, SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB, IGB RAM/128MB VRAM
PM G4 D500 1.25GB RAM, 40GB HD

macross
Apr 24, 2004, 03:27 PM

Well off, rich? HA!! More like a broke senior in college, but thankfully theres an educational discount on all apple products and wintel products at my college (like every college).

The many, the proud, the unemployed senior IT majors looking for internships

Alpha-sphere
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2004, 06:02 AM

Rich or well off? None of both.
I've been saving every penny for 5 months to get the PB 15" 1,25.
Apple is just like a little piece of heaven