Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G5 vs. Dell 15" & 19" LCD panels

iMac G5 vs. Dell 15" & 19" LCD panels
heelsroll
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2004, 03:23 PM

All,
I just posted some pics of my 17"iMac G5 next to a pair of Dell flat screen monitors. (I work in a PC-based operations center assembling Dell Precision 650s...)

I'm sorry the pics are awfully large, I don't have any photo-editing stuff here, but they really show how amazing it is that Apple fit everything into the small housing.

<http://homepage.mac.com/heelsroll/PhotoAlbum119.html>

For what it's worth, the iMac was a _huge_ hit here. Folks would admire the display, then have the "where's the computer" attack, then identify each and every component with awe. Definitely a big hit, with a number of devoted Windows folks considering one for home.

ANyway, enjoy the pics!
Best,
JOel

Mithras
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2004, 04:17 PM

Great photos, thanks!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2004, 04:35 PM

LOLvely comparison !

Thank you very much.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2004, 08:58 PM

Dude, people get fired for stuff like this. Take down the photos from inside Dell, unless of course they are not from inside a Dell facility. You probably signed something that prohibits these photographs for one reason or another.

Sounds silly but this very kind of thing happened to a Microsoft employee. Go Google it...

klinux
Senior User
Sep 20, 2004, 10:15 PM

It's nice but I hope you are kidding about the "where's the computer thing" comment.

You'd have to be pretty stupid, whether you are a PC user or not, to not be able to venture a guess on the location of the computer's innards!
One iMac, iBook, one iPod, way too many PCs.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2004, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
Dude, people get fired for stuff like this. Take down the photos from inside Dell, unless of course they are not from inside a Dell facility. You probably signed something that prohibits these photographs for one reason or another.

Sounds silly but this very kind of thing happened to a Microsoft employee. Go Google it...
He didn't say he worked for Dell, he said he worked in an ops center putting together Dells...

Nothing in the photos, except for maybe that guy, to indicate where the photos were shot. No problem.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2004, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by danbrew:
He didn't say he worked for Dell, he said he worked in an ops center putting together Dells...

Nothing in the photos, except for maybe that guy, to indicate where the photos were shot. No problem.
If that's the case, great. Just trying to be kind... Don't want to read about a fellow Mac user getting canned over something stupid on Slashdot tomorrow.

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2004, 11:56 PM

Those are NEC LCDs - not Dell branded (older ones to boot). The newer ones aren't as large or deep (at least other ones available). Still, it is amazing that Apple fit all that computer behind the LCDs (unless they are using LCDs for notebooks - but no 20" notebooks are out - yet).

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by klinux:
It's nice but I hope you are kidding about the "where's the computer thing" comment.

You'd have to be pretty stupid, whether you are a PC user or not, to not be able to venture a guess on the location of the computer's innards!
Gee. You must be kidding yourself. I have gotten the "Where's the Computer" question on my iMac G4! Let alone a G5. They're PC users. Most of them don't know what an All-in-One is! To them, a "Computer" is the big boxy thing that sits under the desk or next to the "screen".

Love the shots. Question, clear this up. Do you work for Dell or for a company that happens to like using Dells as their computers?

Also, why can Apple cram a WHOLE COMPUTER AND the LCD including PSU for both inside a smaller case than a Dell LCD alone? I mean really. Look at the mass of the Dell LCD, then compare that to the amount of space the LCD in the iMac takes up. Most of the iMacs innards are computer. And they can still fit the screen inside as well, yet Dell can't make a smaller LCD.

Also.. love the plastic base on the Dell.. Sarcasm. What an awful design. Did the Dell LCD come first, or the latest LCD Displays? If it was the Apple Displays, Dell sure did a crappy job of copying it's base. Love the Power Switch too. How industrial.

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2004, 12:18 AM

Can anyone read? Those are (older) NEC LCDs, not Dell. Not that it makes a huge difference, it's just a bit irritating!

klinux
Senior User
Sep 21, 2004, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by Jasoco:
I have gotten the "Where's the Computer" question on my iMac G4! Let alone a G5. They're PC users.
Uh, it's not my fault that you are surrounded by idiots.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 12:54 AM

Uh, it's not my fault that you are surrounded by idiots.
Can I ask you what your problem is? You seem to be seriously troubled. Who shoved the bug up there, anyway?

klinux
Senior User
Sep 21, 2004, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by Jasoco:
Can I ask you what your problem is? You seem to be seriously troubled. Who shoved the bug up there, anyway?
My problem is with generalizations. So only PC users can be idiots and Mac users cannot?

You seemed to be surrounded by people are not smart enough to figure out where the CPU is on an iMac G4. Assuming they are not 75 years old and somewhat technically illiterate, they are just stupid.

So what if they are PC users? Are they white too? Are they male? Are they approximately the same age as you? I don't see you making generalizations about those factors so why single out the fact that they are PC users?

I will give you the fact that there are plenty of PC users out there who are idiots. The fact that there are proportionally more PC users out there probably explains their numbers. But to generalize that you are surrounded by idiots and somehow they are stupid because they are PC users is just as dumb.

If someone around me makes a stupid comment, I say he or she is stupid, not because that person is black or white, male or female, PC or Mac user, etc.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 01:41 AM

Every word you say makes you more and more zealot.

YOU are the one Generalizing PC users. Why do you think someone who doesn't know where the CPU is on a computer that JUST CAME OUT AND HASN'T BEEN ADVERTISED FOR is an idiot.

I mean seriously.

The word you SHOULD be using is Ignorant. NOT Idiot. I'm sure we could find something you don't know and call YOU an idiot for not knowing it.

All I ask is that you try not to sound like a pompous ass by stereotyping people that way.

kokkao
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2004, 02:25 AM

Assuming they are not 75 years old and somewhat technically illiterate, they are just stupid.
Nowadays you would be surprised how many 'oldies' are technically literate! So I would be careful about generalisations, if I were you, dear thing!

heelsroll  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2004, 09:10 AM

All,
Thanks for your comments and concerns about posting the photos.

No, I don't work for Dell or NEC or for anyone who would be concerned about the photos. Most places who would be would have had a bigger problem with me bringing my own computer and setting it up on the shop floor.

And yes, they are actually NEC monitors, and on my photo page I misidentified them -- the big one is a 20". As far as being old, all I know is that they're still shipped as part of some proprietary systems. I'm guessing there could be newer ones out, I just don't know.

As for the "Where's the computer?" question, I don't think it's 'dumb' to walk into a room filled with flat screen monitors and presume you're just looking at a shinier one. And the iMac doesn't really give much away, I mean any monitor could have a power cable and usb cable coming out of it, and none of the 'computer' things are obtrusive.

I did own a sunflower iMac and folks never knew there was an optical drive on it, and wondered where the 'tower' was. In general, I don't think people are 'stupid' just because in a small, insignificant observation, they don't think outside of their daily experience. (Philosophically, it might make me sad, but it doesn't speak to their intelligence!)

Anyway, I hope the pictures were well received and can help show that it really is a pretty impressive design. I've just moved out of a 100-year old house and into a new studio apartment and the stock speakers can fill the room with ambient sound; even without the VESA adapter (whenever that may be available) I lose precious little horizontal space; it's sure darn faster than my Pismo; and the design looks better and better.

Thanks again for the concerns, and best to all!

Joel

klinux
Senior User
Sep 21, 2004, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by kokkao:
Nowadays you would be surprised how many 'oldies' are technically literate! So I would be careful about generalisations, if I were you, dear thing!
Of course, and I am sorry if my post came across that way. Many "oldies" are indeed technically savvy (Walt Mossberg, one of the most influential technologists, for example). My post specifically mentioned the age AND technically illiterate not OR! But you are correct, age is not a factor.

And Jasoco, I do not generalize PC users. Some of them are professionals, some are gamers, some are savvy, some download every spyware on the planet, some are geniuses, and some are idiots. I call it like I see it. I will rest with the fact that you think your friends are ignorant.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by heelsroll:
As for the "Where's the computer?" question, I don't think it's 'dumb' to walk into a room filled with flat screen monitors and presume you're just looking at a shinier one. And the iMac doesn't really give much away, I mean any monitor could have a power cable and usb cable coming out of it, and none of the 'computer' things are obtrusive.

I did own a sunflower iMac and folks never knew there was an optical drive on it, and wondered where the 'tower' was. In general, I don't think people are 'stupid' just because in a small, insignificant observation, they don't think outside of their daily experience. (Philosophically, it might make me sad, but it doesn't speak to their intelligence!)
Right on, brother. The only "stupid" person is the one calling people "stupid" for not knowing something that's not common knowledge. "Oh, you don't knowthat Triscuits are baked whole grain wheat crackers? What are you, STUPID?" That's just mean.

And Jasoco, I do not generalize PC users. Some of them are professionals, some are gamers, some are savvy, some download every spyware on the planet, some are geniuses, and some are idiots. I call it like I see it. I will rest with the fact that you think your friends are ignorant.
I don't generalize them either. I know a LOT of smart PC users. Many use PC's because they can't afford a Mac. Many use them because the Mac just doesn't do it for them. And I don't go around calling them "Stupid" when they say "I didn't know the Mac could do that." Because I'm not a stereotyping kind of guy. I hope you realize "Ignorant" is not an insult. You do realize that, right? EVERYONE's ignorant of SOMETHING. Yeah, I said it. You're ignorant. I'm ignorant. Bill Clinton't ignorant. Everyone doesn't know something.

And I still take offense to you thinking people who don't know where the computer is stupid. That's just not right. Not at all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules