Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 20" iMac G5 or PM DP 2.0ghz...

20" iMac G5 or PM DP 2.0ghz...
yvovandoorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 05:24 PM

As the subject reads. I am about to get my first mac. Now I love using macs as I have been using one at my work (17" iMac G5) so the emac line and mac mini line is just out of the question in my mind as I want to do it right and not end up replacing my computer a year down the line.

The computer I want to get has to be able to do basic functions like word processing, web surfing, etc. I am the occasional gamer and can always revert back to PC for that. I also do the occasional digital photography (Photoshop) and maybe some videos here and there.

Now I have been used to towers all my life. Heck I have a tower at home and it has served me well. However I love the iMac design. I am not all about expandibility as when I generally build my computer, I just get everything I want and that is it. The only two things that would bother me with an iMac is that you only have one internal hard drive bay and a nonupgradeable video card.

As mac users on this board would I be better off with a Powermac or iMac. They are the same price. I know that the imac is supposidly receiving an update in the near future. Is the second processor going to give me a lot more power or will I hardly notice the difference.

Help a switcher out!!

trip
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 06:54 PM

if you already have a monitor you're happy with or can afford to buy one then buy the powermac. upgradeability is important. may want to check out the threads discussing the min requirments for H264 video. It's like dual 2g.
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

GSixZero
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 07:10 PM

The second processor will make a difference, but in the tasks you describe, I wouldn't claim it to be HUGE difference.

To me, it would come down to a couple things. 1) The form factors: Dual G5 towers are big and heavy. If this is just an at-home machine (web, email, music) that you might want to have some place like the living room, the iMac would be a better choice over the PM.

2) Perfomance: depending on how long you're intending to keep this machine, it will be important to judge performance and upgradability. If you'd like to keep the computer more than two years, a PM might be the way to go. The extra CPU power will be useful for the things you describe then, more than now. In a couple years 500GB drives will be pretty cheap so upgrading the HD in the iMac won't be much of an issue.

So I guess if you're planning on keeping the computer more than two years and don't mind having the huge tower, then powermac is the best choice. If you're open to upgrading a couple years from now, and like the elegance of the iMac, that's the best choice.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
May 3, 2005, 10:34 AM

i'd get the imac , since pci-express will be out soon and make the current towers redundant , why bother ?

all this upgrade stuff is vastly overrated , i had a tower ( before powermacs ) and the nubus expansion was a total dead end , now pci / pci-x is going the same way

save the money for memory , lots of it !

the new imac is amazing vfm

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 10:54 AM

If Apple worked the design flaws out of the first batch, which they most likly did, I would say go for the iMac. Todays release is finally a good one.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2005, 12:38 PM

I'm having the same debate. I have had a G4 tower for 5 years, and now the new iMacs are SWEET, but I have a working monitor, and I am thinking that 2 processors are better than one - especially down the road- I am leaning towards the G5 tower-

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

yvovandoorn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 12:41 PM

I think i'll go for the new imac rev. b.

hope stores will have them soon. no way am i ordering online (bad experiences).

trip
Forum Regular
May 3, 2005, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by eddiecatflap
i'd get the imac , since pci-express will be out soon and make the current towers redundant , why bother ?

all this upgrade stuff is vastly overrated , i had a tower ( before powermacs ) and the nubus expansion was a total dead end , now pci / pci-x is going the same way

save the money for memory , lots of it !

the new imac is amazing vfm
ok dumb question :

what's this pci-express thing ?
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2005, 11:40 PM

For what you do an iMac is more than enough. I have a dual G5 but I am a graphic designer.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 12:01 AM

I've got a similar decision (well, potential decision; i don't know if i'm getting a new computer at all yet). I'll be going to film school next year, and, pending the crowdedness of the editing suites, i might want to do some editing on my own computer. Would the 20" iMac be sufficient for editing medium-sized projects with Final Cut Pro? What about Motion and the rest of the Final Cut Studio?

Thanks,
Max

"I start fires!"

GSixZero
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 04:11 AM

Using a iMac for what you need MaxPower is probably possible, but I'd probably recommend a G5, especially if Motion is going to get involved. While an iMac may technically meet the minimums, I wouldn't recommend it.

If the iMac is solely a machine to be used as a backup, it maybe the right choice, but if you really want to have a machine for use day to day, go PM G5 all the way.

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 4, 2005, 04:55 AM

i think the new iMacs have lots juice that people who are in your situation are looking for.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

TC
Senior User
May 4, 2005, 11:21 AM

Can I confuse the issue even more with a choice of 3 systems?

1. Mini Mac 1.33GHz + 20" Studio = $1298

2. iMac 20" 2GHz = $1799

3. Powermac Dual 2.3GHz + 20" Studio = $3298

Right now I am working on a G4 Powerbook 667MHz. Everyday things are starting to feel slow, I mainly develop web sites but also write software and want to get into app development for Mac OS X. I'm also want to be editing photographs and video on this machine. I can do all these things right now on my Powerbook but I feel as if I am waiting for the machine too often.

My thoughts on those 3 systems are this:
1. A stopgap system. The 1.33GHz G4 would feel a lot faster than the powerbook I am on right now. The cost of the mac is also relatively small so an upgrade in a year would be possible. I also have a great display which I can reuse with any upgraded system.

2. A very fast machine which would give me core image support and feel a lot faster than what I am working with right now. Limited expansion capaibilities (processor and GPU) and the display cannot be reused in any upgrade system. The cost also means any upgrade would probably have to wait a couple of years.

3. As fast as I would ever need. With the possibility of upgrading the graphics card then technologies such as core image will allow me to speed up its graphics performance in the future. Such an investment means this machine would be with me for 3-4 years before an upgrade. The negative factor here is whether dual core processors are far away and would it be better to wait or go with system 1 for now?

I hope that explains my problems. Option 1 means I get a small speed increase and a very nice screen, I'm also in a position to upgrade if a superfast Powermac appears. Option 2 gives me a system which will be fast enough for me everyday but I would be tied to for a few years. Option 3 means going all out to get the very best available today.

Any thoughts?
Nothing to see, move along.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
May 4, 2005, 11:45 AM

you sound like a power user to me

so go for a power mac

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2005, 12:23 PM

I would probably LOVE an iMac for my uses, but for some reason I am compelled to purchase PMs. My reasoning is this:
The PMs can be upgraded with MORE HDs (not just a bigger one), way more RAM, and most of all, a new video card. And the DVD burner is cheaper to upgrade compared to the iMac's.

If you don't plan on upgrading anything but RAM and HD, go with the iMac. If you gotta stay up to date, either sell often and re-buy, or stick with the PM.

And dual CPUs is nice too...

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Migraine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2005, 05:38 PM

I went to Cr@pUSA to checkout Tiger.
I noticed a Mini hooked up to a 23� Cinema display. The Mini had 1GB of Ram installed. The 23� is gorgeous but way beyond my budget.

Any who, I wanted to checkout the iMac�s, especially the 20� model.
There iMac 20� was the old model, 1.8Ghz & 256MB Ram. That iMac was very, very slow compared to the Mini.

I figured more Ram would make the iMac scream, but the display didn�t seem that nice as I would have expected. Now, I did notice some figure marks from the common vulgar (customers) who probably thought it was a touch screen

For those Mac users who have an iMac 20� is the display good? Or, should I forget the iMac & get a PowerMac instead, then upgrade to a better display later on when I can afford it? I have a nice NEC 17� LCD 1760V right now (only VGA) that I use with my PC. I would like to get a bigger LCD.

I plan my nearest Apple store (Costa Mesa) and play with their iMacs there for comparison.

Forum Links
Forum Rules