Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Official Xbox360 pricing

Official Xbox360 pricing
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2005, 10:46 AM

$299 for the basic system and $399 for the real system. Stupid.

Microsoft announced that the Xbox 360 will be released in two SKUs, the "Xbox 360 Core System" and the "Xbox 360." The two products will be sold at $299 and $399, respectively. The two systems break down as follows:

Xbox 360 Core System - $299 (299 Euros, 209 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•Wired controller
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership
•Standard AV cables

Xbox 360 - $399 (399 Euros, 279 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•20GB detachable hard drive
•Wireless controller
•Wireless Xbox Live headset
•High-definition AV cables
•Ethernet cable
•Xbox 360 Media Remote Control (limited time)
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership

Peter Moore, Xbox corporate vice president of Worldwide Marketing and Publishing, who spoke with GameSpot, reiterated that the Xbox 360 is still on schedule to launch simultaneously in North America, Europe, and Japan this holiday season. Details on the specifics of the Japanese release will be disclosed at this year's Tokyo Game Show, which begins September 16.

He explained that the idea behind the two choices came from "lessons learned from the first generation [of Xbox], but perhaps more importantly to provide the gamer with choices in pricing as applicable to their gaming habits." In addition, gamers will be able to select from a range of peripherals, available at launch:

• Faceplate ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99, 99.99 Euros, 69.99 GBP)
• Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 22.99 GBP)
• Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99, 79.99 Euros, 59.99 GBP)
• Wireless Controller ($49.99, 44.99 Euros, 32.99 GBP)
• Play and Charge Kit ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Rechargeable Battery Pack ($11.99, 14.99 Euros, 9.99 GBP)
• Controller ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 24.99 GBP)
• Headset ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Universal Media Remote ($29.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• Component HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• S-Video AV Cable (US) ($29.99)
• SCART AV Cable (Europe) (24.99 Euros, 17.99 GBP)
• VGA HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2005, 10:47 AM

Xbox 360 Sells For Two Prices
Two SKUs offer premium ($399) and core pricing ($299) at launch in the US and in Europe.
by Douglass C. Perry
August 17, 2005 - Confirming long-standing rumors of two different Xbox 360 set-ups, Microsoft today officially announced two price SKUs for the North American and European markets. The Redmond, WA. company will offer a premium system for $399.99 for the North American market, with a 399.99 euro pricing, and 279.99 pounds for Great Britain; and a core set-up for $299.99 in the U.S, a 299.99 euro pricing, with a 209.99 British MSRP.

Microsoft said it will announce Asian-market news at the Tokyo Game Show in mid-September. And it remains officially silent on a release date, confirming only that Microsoft is on target for "holiday launches" in all three territories. Since rumors regarding all Microsoft products have all panned out, IGN expects a fall ship date (November) for 360 in North America and Europe.

The premium, or the "Xbox 360" package ($399.99), is designed for the hardcore, HD-ready gamer, while the Xbox 360 Core System ($299.99) is your basic set-up.

The premium package contains an Xbox 360, a detachable 20-GB hard-drive, a wireless controller, faceplate, headset, a component HD AV cable, an Ethernet cable, and for a limited time, a remote controller.

The basic, or the "Core 360 System" set-up, is a stripped down affair in comparison. It includes an Xbox 360, one standard wire controller, a faceplate, and a standard AV cable. The $399 package is designed for the high-definition gaming era; the other is designed for a no-frills, current-gen set-up. Presumably both systems come with power cords, though Microsoft's press releases didn't actually include them.

Taking into account that a memory card ($39.99 U.S./?34.99/£22.99) is required for saving games, a headset ($19.99 U.S./?19.99/£14.99) is necessary for Xbox Live play, a second controller sells for $39.99 (?34.99/£24.99), and a remote goes for $29.99 (?29.99/£19.99), totaling $130, the premium price appears the better deal. The above tally doesn't include a MS HD, which costs an additional $99 (totaling $229).

Microsoft's Vice President Peter Moore explained the company learned through extensive research that gamers and consumers wanted choice above all other things.

"We've learned gamers want choice," explained a confident Moore. "We really believe in the early-going that the Xbox 360 package will be the majority of purchases. It's huge value for the money at $399, with a hard-drive, with wireless controllers, with HD cables, and you get high definition right out of the box, and there will be content loaded on the hard-drive, high definition videos included, and you will be immediately able to see HD broadcast."

IGN's Editors responded to Microsoft's announcements.

"I think a lot of people will take a look at the $399 price tag for the 'complete' package and balk a bit, but it's actually a great deal in the end. The headset and HD AV pack would cost upwards of $50, even if you bought cheap third-party versions of them. Add in the hard drive that you'd have to purchase separately from the core system, plus a wireless controller and you've got a great package deal, certainly better than any retailers would have put together themselves. Many people will need all this stuff anyway, so Microsoft is actually cutting everyone a deal.

"The major problem I have with the whole thing is the lack of a hard drive in the core system. Sony's optional hard drive was a complete failure from a support standpoint, and while I'm sure the Xbox 360 will see much stronger support for its drive, not every developer will be willing to spend extra time and money to support something that may or may not be there.

"I'll obviously be picking up the full, $399 version myself. I've already got a bit of cash down on one, so now I just need to make sure they've got me in the computer for the right system.

"I do find it funny that Microsoft is listing a faceplate as part of each package. That's like selling a car and advertising that it includes a hood."

--Chris Roper, Editor, IGN Hardware

"So is that controller on the core system a wired one?

"If it isn't, then they're saying that a headset, hard drive and cables would cost $200 which is somewhat believable, I suppose. I'm still a little disappointed that the hard drive is only 20 gigs since I can currently shove a 200-gig drive into my Xbox for less than $100. In terms of an all-in-wonder device, I'd like to have the capacity to store 20,000 songs and still have room for a few seasons of The Simpsons, but then that's just me.

"I think that the pricing is a great idea since it helps to upsell people to a $400 price point, which is where the system truly begins. Once people go onto Live, they're going to want to have a hard drive and likely a headset so that they can hear the young'uns scream when they get killed in Halo 3/4/whatever. It also makes it look like the Core system is a real system instead of a crippled version of what the 360 is supposed to be. Nice touch."

-- Ed Lewis, Editor, IGNPS2

"I've grown up with one console with one set-up costing once price. Though it sounds simplistic, a single price and a single set-up will be easier for most consumers to understand. Sure, we're not talking rocket science here. Heck, we're not even talking basic geometry, but let's face it, look at all those accessories, add-ons, peripherals, and what not. We're not even talking about the games yet. People are going to get confused. People are, well, you know, not all that smart when it comes to hardware. They need serious help. Microsoft's different set-ups, while pretty simple, will confuse people, sadly.

"And a small portion, probably the hard-edged, HD-ready gaming group that's going to buy the Xbox 360 on day one, won't be confused one bit. They're already pimping out their stereos, TVs, and living rooms in preparation for just such an occasion. For these guys, the Premium package of $399.99 is perfect. I know that's the system set-up I'm getting.

"But if games cost $59.99 and I buy four, that's $240. Add in a $399 set-up, and wham, I'm already at $640. That's a lot of dough. Makes you think twice about which games you'll have to get versus the ones you might get..."

--Douglass C. Perry, Editor-in-Chief, IGN Xbox/Xbox360

"The announced price of Xbox 360 isn't all that surprising. I would've liked the console to come with a hard drive and a couple of controllers for $299, heck I'd like to have the whole thing cost 10 dollars and come with five free games but Microsoft's price point fits the current market trends to a tee.

The core package comes in at the same price as the first Xbox at launch - a system with far less functionality that never produced a profit. This allows people to take the plunge into the next generation without veering too far away from that 300 dollar sweet spot for electronics which has been made all the more attractive due to the rampant success of the iPod. The core can be looked at as a starter kit that can be added to over time, or at least that's what Microsoft is hoping.

The $399.99 version of Xbox 360 is really for those of us who would probably pay far more just to own the new console. This bundle comes with HD cables because it is targeted at early adopters to new technology or those who simply must have the latest toys no matter what the cost. These are the people Kutaragi was indirectly targeting when he touted the plans for a ridiculously high price for PS3. These are also the people who will be dropping another roll of twenties for another controller and a couple of games. Microsoft's pricing of the peripherals also follows Sony's model of cashing in on the little things. Money is not made on the sale of consoles alone and we already know all of those memory cards, Multitaps, and Dual Shocks added up to a big pile of money in the past years.

With all the recent reports on the skyrocketing costs of development it's no wonder this would eventually be handed down to the consumer. But like most of our readers I'd rather live on canned soup and frozen waffles for a couple of months than miss out on PGR3. Its time to pick your favorite games and return the rest in preparation for launch. I already know I'll be dropping some bills for the hot new hardware, but we have yet to hear a definite price for next-gen games. If the increase is comparable to everything else, I might be more thankful for 360's backwards compatibility out of necessity."

-- David Clayman, Editor, IGN Xbox/Xbox 360

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2005, 10:58 AM

Not. Going. To. Buy.

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2005, 11:02 AM

Unless the launch lineup gets the best reviews in the history of gaming I'm not going to be buying one either. $399 is just more than a gaming console is worth in my mind. Throw in $60 games and $50 wireless controllers (that's NUTS) and it all adds up to a NO SALE.

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2005, 11:07 AM

-Microsoft I do not like.
-Halo was the ONLY reason anywhere near as many boxes sold around me, I imagine the trend is rather common.
-The two versions will just have all the kids with the best version going 'loooook at mine it is better' wah wah wah
-20 GB for $100... WTF

I'll play one now and again, but never buy one.
yep.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 11:10 AM

$399 is a tad high considering it doesn't come with any next gen DVD players. You have to remember these systems are really meant as a media centre and NOT just for games.

Whatever, I'll still buy it because $100 bucks less isn't enough for me to ignore a system.

They have shown people will buy an expensive system, the Xbox is almost twice the cost of the GameCube yet it outsells it. Same goes for the PS2.

Microsoft also has to reduce the lose of the hardware sales or even make a profit on them.
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2005, 11:23 AM

My main concern is that by not including a HD in the base unit, they are going to split the user base and developers won't make games that take real advantage of the HD (if at all).

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by ort888
My main concern is that by not including a HD in the base unit, they are going to split the user base and developers won't make games that take real advantage of the HD (if at all).
The requirement is that EVERY and ALL games are in HD. It is not an option.

You are thinking of the gamecube.

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2005, 11:30 AM

HD = Hard Drive

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 11:44 AM

HD = Hard Drive
Also mean "High definition"

But yes, you are right, developers might ignore it which isn't good. I am just happy if they hard drive is used for cashe, saving games and downloading new content all of which is sure to be supported.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2005, 11:50 AM

A wired controller ?

$299 seems okay at first, but $399 !??!?! jeeze

And i dont want my gaming console to be able to do everything, i dont want to pay for stuff ill never use. Personally id buy a more capable next-gen-dedicated-mdeia-player to sit next to my gaming console, if and when i get a HDTV uptill then, investing in blu ray technology seems a bit premature since we dont know what will be the standard (HD-DVD/BR-DVD). But thats my opinion, since i dont own a HDTV.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 12:00 PM

The more I think about it the more the price is actually reasonable.

Forget the 360, think about buying the following accessories for any of todays systems: (best guess on prices)

High-def cables: $30
Add on Hard drive: $100ish
Headset $25
Wireless controller: $40
Remote: $20

That is over $200 just for that stuff. So when you think about it the actual Xbox is only about $200 it is all the goodies that add up. I'm sold.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2005, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Scandalous Ion Cannon
The more I think about it the more the price is actually reasonable.

Forget the 360, think about buying the following accessories for any of todays systems: (best guess on prices)

High-def cables: $30
Add on Hard drive: $100ish
Headset $25
Wireless controller: $40
Remote: $20

That is over $200 just for that stuff. So when you think about it the actual Xbox is only about $200 it is all the goodies that add up. I'm sold.
Sadly that is because they over charge for all that.

-Owl

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 17, 2005, 12:45 PM

I think the pricing is very reasonable, and it's pretty much in line with what I predicted.

What I REALLY want to see is lower game software prices, but that ain't gonna happen.

I will wait until the PS3 comes out before I decide if I'll buy. That is, if I buy a game console at all. I never did bother with the PS2, GameCube, or Xbox.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy
Sadly that is because they over charge for all that.

-Owl
true but these are the prices for ALL manufactures, not just Xbox. The 3rd party prices are the same.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
I think the pricing is very reasonable, and it's pretty much in line with what I predicted.

What I REALLY want to see is lower game software prices, but that ain't gonna happen.

I will wait until the PS3 comes out before I decide if I'll buy. That is, if I buy a game console at all. I never did bother with the PS2, GameCube, or Xbox.
I bet you get a PS3 just for the blu-ray drive also. Especially if they come out with BSG on Blu-ray

Now you just need a new TV with HDMI connection

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2005, 12:57 PM

I bet you get a PS3 just for the blu-ray drive also. Especially if they come out with BSG on Blu-ray

Now you just need a new TV with HDMI connection
If they lock out analogue component HD signals for ALL HD movies/shows, I will be much less inclined to buy.

Going from VHS to DVD was a no-brainer.

Going from DVD to HD is not, if it means my having to spend another US$2500 on a new TV before I'm good and ready to do so, when I already have an HDTV.

A complete component HD-lockout would be just braindead, considering the majority of the HDTV installed based doesn't support HDMI (or DVI or Firewire or whatever for that matter).

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
A complete component HD-lockout would be just braindead, considering the majority of the HDTV installed based doesn't support HDMI (or DVI or Firewire or whatever for that matter).
I agree. You can thank paranoid Hollywood for that one.

Even new upscaling DVD players today lock out all copy protected media from being unconverted through ANY port. Really defeats the purpose of up-converting as every disk is copy protected (other than the ones you make yourself).

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2005, 01:38 PM

I'll just have to do what I did with xBox. Wait a small while, and get a refurbished one for 140 bucks.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2005, 02:03 PM

"No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame."

8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

jcadam
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 02:43 PM

I don't buy Microsoft products. I don't care if the Xbox360 can make pancakes while simultaneously playing holographic pr0n and giving you head. I'll wait till all of the next-gen systems are out and decide between the PS3 and Nintendo's better-be-revolutionary-or-it's-DOA-box.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

meelk
Baninated
Aug 17, 2005, 03:28 PM

Microsoft just screwed itself. This was their one year to sell systems and establish a big user base before Sony launches, and they blew it.
The IDEAL Package would have been:
System
One wireless controller (the $300 unit comes with wired controllers, give me a damn break)
ethernet cable
Xbox Live Silver, Option to sign up for 1 year of Gold at $30, $50 yearly thereafter
Hard drive. (wouldnt even have to be a 20gig.)
Component cable standard on both units.
$299.99

Things that stand out:
$40 for a memory card. hahahahahahaha, RIGHT.
$50 for a controller, see above and laugh with me.
Getting wired controllers with one system and wireless with another. What nazi thought this up?
No specifics on launch titles.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2005, 03:33 PM

^^^ I think the $300 and the $400 models are going to sell quite well, as long as there are good games available.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2005, 03:34 PM

...and parents still want to buy them for their children.

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2005, 03:42 PM

$50 for a wireless controller is insanity. The Wavebird launched at $35 and is currently selling for $30.

I don't so much have a problem with the $399 price (because I would need most of that stuff anyway) as I do with the base model missing a hard drive. That's the real pisser here. It sucks.

Splitting your user base down the middle has never worked for anyone. Developers will no longer support the hard drive at all. It would be suicide to make a game that required it and it would be a waste of time developing features that only half your user base will be able to take advantage of. It's a big step backwards.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2005, 04:31 PM

How many people plunk down $350 for an iPod?

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2005, 04:31 PM

Not only is a $50 controller ridiculous, but even the more expensive bundle only comes with one! Remember the days when consoles came with two controllers? Good times, good times...

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

bembol
Aug 17, 2005, 04:35 PM

Haven't been following the Next Generation/too lazy to read

Will it play HD-DVD Movies?

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Aug 17, 2005, 04:36 PM

How much are PS3s?

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 04:39 PM

i don't think they know yet. should come out in the next year or two.
iamwhor3hay

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 05:17 PM

$50 for a wireless controller is insanity. The Wavebird launched at $35 and is currently selling for $30.
Does it have rumble and a rechargeable battery? If not that is worth $15 right there.

willed
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2005, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by BoomStick
How many people plunk down $350 for an iPod?
Quoted for emphasis. You guys don't realise what a good deal you get with this stuff. Considering modern consoles are as powerful, generally, as modern PCs, the price difference is amazing.

So, to conclude: stop whining.

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2005, 05:22 PM

Does it have rumble and a rechargeable battery? If not that is worth $15 right there.
The problem is that I would need 4 of them and that's $150 extra bucks.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 05:45 PM

The problem is that I would need 4 of them and that's $150 extra bucks.
Well that doesn't really answer the question. what do you exepect? People who need more than one controller should get it for free?

Seriously, the rechargeable battery alone make it worth the extra $15. The one reason I didn't get the wavebird is because it didn't have rumble.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by willed
Quoted for emphasis. You guys don't realise what a good deal you get with this stuff. Considering modern consoles are as powerful, generally, as modern PCs, the price difference is amazing.

So, to conclude: stop whining.
iPod: $300
Songs for iPod: $1 ea

XBox360:$399
Games for XBox360:$60

One is a decent deal, the other gets real expensive, real fast.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by jcadam
iPod: $300
Songs for iPod: $1 ea

XBox360:$399
Games for XBox360:$60

One is a decent deal, the other gets real expensive, real fast.
Exactly, people will drop $350 on an iPod that just plays music yet they expect a game system to be practically free because they buy games for it.

What about all those yoyo's that drop $2000 on a dedicated game PC just to play Doom 3. Nobody mentions how one game or even 10 could be worth spending that much.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 18, 2005, 12:15 AM

Looks like a PS3 for me!

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 12:49 AM

i'll keep my powerbook for gaming
iamwhor3hay

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by MrForgetable
i'll keep my powerbook for gaming
Now that's a serious gaming powehouse!

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2005, 02:22 AM

Good thing I wasn't planning on buying an Xbox I'll wait and maybe get a Revolution... maybe.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2005, 08:29 AM

Well that doesn't really answer the question. what do you exepect? People who need more than one controller should get it for free?
That's exactly what I'm saying. At the very least, the consoles should come with two wired controllers.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

mc786030
Aug 18, 2005, 08:48 AM

Mac zealots will bash anything related to Microsoft.

$399 is a steal, in my opinion.

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2005, 08:54 AM

Notice the "REC" button?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 18, 2005, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by mc786030
Mac zealots will bash anything related to Microsoft.

$399 is a steal, in my opinion.
I'm not impressed with your idiotic comment or Microsoft's idiotic move with their pricing and model scheme.

I don't play games on computers, have not since the very first time Doom came out, and it ran great on a Dual 33mhz machine... That said, I'm waiting for the PS3. I'm sure it will be better priced and be an overall better gaming console.

If $399 is a steal, then I say, go for it...

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by starman
Notice the "REC" button?
Nevermind that is that a Start button I see?!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2005, 10:44 AM

Yes i think so . lol....the XB360 looks more like a XBox with Tivo.

PJW
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2005, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
Looks like a PS3 for me!
You're fooling yourself if you think the PS3 is going to be cheaper than this. This is the reality of the next-gen consoles, folks. It's going to be more expensive. Get used to it.
Your services as a citizen, we regret to inform you, are no longer required.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2005, 11:34 AM

Oh the horror!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2005, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
Oh the horror!

indeed. whats next ? alt+ctrl+delete ? they could combine it into a single button since it's used so often in their products. They can even put it down as 'innovation' if theyre smart lol.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
indeed. whats next ? alt+ctrl+delete ? they could combine it into a single button since it's used so often in their products. They can even put it down as 'innovation' if theyre smart lol.
Number of Xbox Crashes: 0
Number of GameCube Crashes: 4

Forum Links
Forum Rules