Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > FireWire hard disk won't mount on Mac OS 9

FireWire hard disk won't mount on Mac OS 9
allensis
Aug 20, 2005, 01:12 AM

I have a Maxtor 1-Touch External 160G FW/USB drive.

It works great as a FW drive on my 12"PB Rev. A running OS X (10.4)

It also worked great on my BeigeG3 running OS 9.2.2 in USB mode.

I just installed a PCI FW Card (Syba - Mac Compatible from DealMac) and though System Profiler recognizes it as a PCI FW card, the FW drive does not load on the desktop.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

joseph

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 20, 2005, 10:43 AM

Quite likely the drive does not have the Mac OS 9 disk drivers installed. I am not sure whether the drivers can be installed after the fact, but what I do know is that Disk Utility is very stupid in this respect: when a disk is connected to a Mac that can't boot Mac OS 9 (like our AlBooks), it doesn't even offer the option to install the Mac OS 9 disk drivers.

tooki

allensis  (op)
Aug 20, 2005, 06:18 PM

It has OS9 drivers, I had no trouble using the disk via USB and OS9, although quite slow.

I managed to get the disk on the desktop (OS 9). I d/l the latest Maxtor FW extension (v. 2.01f) and turned off the other Maxtor extensions.

The drive now mounts, however the interface is sluggish. It takes literally hours for the OS to update the folder size in the window. I have not tested large file xfers, but emptying the trash from this disk of about 50mb has been going on for the last 20mins (300,000 files). So clearly it is not operating properly via the FW card. It is running about the same speed as when I accessed it through USB on OS 9.

My goal is to have it permanently attached to the desktop and use it as a network backup drive to avoid hooking it up to other computers and allow access to 3 other computers.

Is it possible, even though fully recognized, that the large 200G size is a problem with OS9 on the Beige G3?

Currently using or accessing the drive makes the entire system and other apps a bit sluggish, it is clearly hogging CPU resources of some kind. An example is how the mouse staggers/stutters accross the screen.

joe

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 21, 2005, 10:57 AM

The disk size isn't the problem, I've used larger disks on Mac OS 9.

But hold on there -- you're using Maxtor FireWire drivers? That might be the problem: Mac OS 9.1 and higher has its own FW hard disk drivers. Try removing all the Maxtor software and just running the Apple drivers only.

tooki

allensis  (op)
Sep 5, 2005, 03:22 AM

update=

I gave up on the Syba card and am returning it.

I have a Maxtor FW PCI card on the way....

Forum Links
Forum Rules