Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So who else is actually going to do something?

So who else is actually going to do something?
BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2005, 04:05 PM

I've loaded up my plane with my tools and a generator.

I'm headed to Miss., New Orleans is going to be handled by the military at this point since it's going to be a total loss.

I'm either going to Gulf Shores or Buloxi, whichever will clear me to to land.

I'm going to stay a week to help with feeding people and donate the generator to a relief station.

So, who is going to go help instead of standing around gawking?

I have a month's of vac time to spend and I'm going to blow it all on this.

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2005, 04:07 PM

thanks for volunteering. it will be appreciated.
Earth First! we'll mine the other planets later.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2005, 04:12 PM

I'm here in Texas working with relocating our LA field people to our local plants so that they can continue working. We're also trying to find the best places for all 300 of them to stay in our area.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

BoomStick  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2005, 04:14 PM

I'm going to try to transport needed items on my next trip.

I know that the damage is so severe that cleanup will have to be done before repair crews can come in and help.

However I will have my screwgun ready for a full three weeks of service to whoever will take me.

I will probably get a list of Church groups on my first trip down to volunteer with for my next longer stay.

I have endured several disasters and know what it's like to stand in the debris that used to be your home with nothing.

GranolaBoy
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2005, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by BoomStick

I'm headed to Miss., New Orleans is going to be handled by the military at this point since it's going to be a total loss.

I'm going to stay a week to help with feeding people and donate the generator to a relief station.

I'm sure you understand we don't all have A PLANE, A generator, a week's vacation, etc. But in the interest of entertaining this possibility (since I have time), got any links? Got a plan?

I guess I figure that unless there's some organization in place my chances of actually helping are slim to none.

BoomStick  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2005, 04:24 PM

I'll be going with a Church group on my second trip.

Ask the churches if they have a group that is going to go and go with them.

One of the organizations I deal with is Mississsippi Missions, I go with them to Honduras and I'm hoping they will organize a relief effort.

The iMac Man
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2005, 04:26 PM

Standing around gawking?

Sorry, I have a job to do.... that doesn't stop because part of the world is in need of help.

I don't appreciate being made to feel like I'm lazy or something if I don't do something for these people...
-iMac
(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)

Get Mac Game Mods Here: Macologist.org

BoomStick  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2005, 04:29 PM

You can give blood.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 30, 2005, 04:34 PM

I'm with iMac Man*, and I'll be giving blood to help, but I wish I could go down with you in your plane and give of my time and muscle. *I just have to stay and work to help us make ends meet. My heart is out to all of those down in the battered areas from the Hurricane.

My prayers are with them, and now so will be my blood.

If there is anything else I can do or anyone else, please post some suggestions too.

I'll thank Boomstick personally right now for his efforts. Commendable. If ever up near Chicago, fly in and I'll have a cold one or two for you man.

Mark

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2005, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by BoomStick

I hereby nominate you as awesome. I have neither a month's worth of vacation time nor a plane, but I couldn't think of a better use for either.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

The iMac Man
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2005, 04:46 PM

I guess I could give blood, good suggestion.

I hope the person who gets my blood can handle it... they'll probably be feeling pretty good off it for a few days!
-iMac
(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)

Get Mac Game Mods Here: Macologist.org

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 30, 2005, 05:59 PM

I second the "give blood" idea. I can't get away from school (yes, my program is that tightly scheduled), but I can and do give blood regularly-and I'll make sure I do so soon. It is the VERY least any of can do.

The last time I was "in" a hurricane I was stationed at Keesler AFB in Biloxi, and once we were able to open up the shelters, we started cleaning up both the base and Biloxi. I just checked out their web site and it looks like the base has more than enough problems of its own and won't be able to help the local community any time soon.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2005, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by The iMac Man
Standing around gawking?

Sorry, I have a job to do.... that doesn't stop because part of the world is in need of help.

I don't appreciate being made to feel like I'm lazy or something if I don't do something for these people...
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/30/hel...ies/index.html

Donate some cash. Donate some supplies.

Remember the Golden Rule? Imagine if your area was hit by a hurricane/earthquake/tornado/fire/tsunami/bomb. Wouldn't you really appreciate any help that was available? Don't you see the people on TV and want to help them?

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/play...na.rescue.affl
http://www.cnn.com/video/player/play...na.rescue.affl

Forum Links
Forum Rules