Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Copy iTunes Library (and Playlists) from PC to Mac?

Copy iTunes Library (and Playlists) from PC to Mac?
StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2006, 12:26 PM

Is there a way to copy my entire iTunes Library and all the Playlists from my PC to my Mac while keeping my Playlists/Folders in tact? I want everything to be EXACTLY the way I have it setup on my PC if possible!

I've searched and found a few posts about this, but looks like there is no definitive answer - unless I missed it? Any advice/direction is appreciated.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2006, 03:24 PM

I helped a friend move from his Dell to his new MacBook. I just dragged the iTunes folder from one machine to the other. iTunes reads everything the same on OS X and Windows.

StiZeven  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2006, 03:36 PM

So all I'd have to do drag the iTunes folder from the PC to the Mac and iTunes on the Mac will be able to read all my iTunes Playlists and Folders without any file location conflicts? (since the location tag for each song in a playlist is pointing to the iTunes folder on my PC?)

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2006, 03:54 PM

In iTunes on your PC, do you have it set to copy new songs to the iTunes library? One thing you should do before copying is the 'consolidate library' command, I think it's in the 'Advanced' menu. That will copy any songs not already in your iTunes folder into it. Then it should be a drag and drop operation. Just make sure iTunes is closed on your Mac. After copying, do a permissions repair just to make sure everything is cool, then open up iTunes, and everything should be okay.

StiZeven  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2006, 09:55 PM

Yes, all my music is already in my '\iTunes\iTunes Music' folder - and no where else on my PC. Interesting though, when copying the \iTunes\iTunes Music folder from one PC to another, if the 'Logon Folder Name' is different, the playlists will not work properly as the path to each song has changed. So, I am wondering how copying this folder over from a PC to a Mac will make it 'just work'?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2006, 11:15 AM

Macs tend to 'just work.'

pbedouk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2006, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by StiZeven View Post
Yes, all my music is already in my '\iTunes\iTunes Music' folder - and no where else on my PC. Interesting though, when copying the \iTunes\iTunes Music folder from one PC to another, if the 'Logon Folder Name' is different, the playlists will not work properly as the path to each song has changed. So, I am wondering how copying this folder over from a PC to a Mac will make it 'just work'?
Hi .. I am wondering if this worked? I tried it and the music copied fine, but not the playlists?

Forum Links
Forum Rules