Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Tell my wife I need a new G4!

Tell my wife I need a new G4!
ned
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2001, 06:50 PM

I am the proud owner of a Performa 6400/180. I have seriously outgrown this box and am ready for my next Mac. Unfortunately the CFO, aka the wife, is tight with cosh flow. I'm leaning towards the DP 533. I've heard many of you say great things about it. The problem I must convince the wife. Compelling arguments for or against? Should I wait for Mac Expo NY to see what happens? By the way, I'm a designer so Photoshop is the app I use most!

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2001, 07:14 PM

Sure, I will convince her when she comes over to my house this weekend!

Ok, you just have to explain that to do your work effectivly, you need to be able to run the newest tools. To run the tools, you need the newer computer. The one with dual processors (and Altivecs!).
When she agrees to an iMac, tell her that you really need the Altivecs only available in the G4, and the photoshop is optimized for it and for dual processors.

When she agrees to a cube, tell her that they are out of stock, and let her know that she can make movies really easily with the Dual G4.

(Ya gotta forget to tell her that iMacs come with iMovie. Make her think the high end is really in both of your best interests.)

After she reluctantly agrees to a Dual G4, reinforce her decision by telling her about another cool feature that she will love. When she falls more in love with the idea, she won't try and back out later that night.

Persistance is the Key!

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 2, 2001, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by RAzaRazor:
When she agrees to a cube, tell her that they are out of stock
Apple should have such problems with the Cube . . .

------------------
[email protected]
450 128 20 9.0.4 17 Radeon
------------------

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 2, 2001, 09:28 PM

ned, check out a few MWNY G4 predictions http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Foru...ML/002202.html and http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Foru...ML/002248.html and buy the lady dinner and flowers.

------------------
[email protected]
450 128 20 9.0.4 17 Radeon
------------------

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Your Wife
Mar 2, 2001, 10:19 PM

By the way, I'm a designer so Photoshop is the app I use most!
You are a designer, and your using a slow @ss Performa with PhotoShop? No wonder your not making any money. Go in my purse right now, and take out $2500, and get that new Mac. And later we can talk about how your gonna pay me back.

ned  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2001, 11:23 PM

Many thank yous for your answers thus far ! Contrary to popular belief, you can design on a Performa 6400.

You launch photoshop, drive to the beer store and come back. By this time the application is open. Now time to open a document. At this point, drink two beers. Now the document is open. Time for manipulation....?....finish off the twelver, get up ithe next day and it's possible you've completed rendering that oh so special lighting effect! Next.......beg the Wife for a new G4!!!!

Thanks again...

Sinemacula
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2001, 02:29 PM

Assuming your wife loves you - tell her that the new G4 Dual 533 will allow you to get your work done so much faster that you will be able to do more work to earn more $$, AND still have more time to spend with her. (If she doesn't really like the idea of having you more available, you can just leave out that last phrase.)
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz; 4GB RAM; 23" Cinema Display
iPhone
Mac OS X 10.5.4

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2001, 08:52 PM

LOL, Sinemacula!

Here is what you do, and I believe this will be in both of your best interests:

Explain to her that you are very frustrated with your Performa. It simply will not do what you need, and you'd really like a new computer. (I assume you've gotten this far already) Now, tell her you are open to negotiation , and that you don't need the computer now. Tell her that you have no problem with waiting until July and seeing what MWNY brings (this tells her that you are rational). Now tell her you are willing to make a deal. Ask her if there is anything she would like in return. Then tell her that there is no rush, she has pleanty of time to think it over.

If she doesn't approach you in about a week, ask her during a calm moment if she's thought of something. If she's not generating ideas on her own, suggest something. If there is something she has always wanted but you have said no to, consider it in exchange. Of course, you would have to think it through before proposing it. My physics professor just talked his wife into getting a PS2 by letting her get the puppy she had wanted! That may or may not terrify you, depending on how well you like animals, but that's the general idea.

Also, do your best to pamper her. Women love to be pampered. Be careful, however, of spending money in the process, such as on a fine dinner. The whole idea is to gain permission to spend money, and depending on the woman, she may or may not appriciate you spending $100 to try to gain that permission. That call is yours - you know her better than I do.

EDIT: BTW, welcome to the forums!

------------------
Fyre4ce

"I need a vacation." - Terminator robot

[This message has been edited by Fyre4ce (edited 03-03-2001).]
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

jbell
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2001, 09:27 PM

My recommendations:[list=1][*]Donate your Performa to your favorite charity, get a tax deduction, and use the tax refund to buy yourself a new Mac! [*]Two words: Mac OSX ! You can't run it on a Performa. [*]One word: W O R K !!! Go get yourself a job on the side and earn enough money to purchase your favorite Mac. [/list=a]

There is a solution for every problem!

schalliol
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2001, 01:05 AM

Tell her how much more time you'll have to spend with her (or if she's not into that, how much more money you can make with your time ;-)).

The 533DP is a great PS machine, I don't see any really good reason to wait. Sure they're be an updated or new system out soon, but you can't wait forever with a 6400/180. The 133MHz bus is nice to have, and the CD-RW will help you backup projects easily. You can add a SuperDrive later if you like.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Ruddigger
Senior User
Mar 4, 2001, 02:25 AM

If none of the afore mentioned advice helps your case then throw out her email.

We'll start a "Get your Husband a G4" petetion, and see how she handles the flood of mail

------------------
-Ruddigger
------------------
Have you had your
gigaflop today?
Proud owner of the Original Macintruck

athun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2001, 11:37 AM

I'm a designer too, also with an old Mac (actually a clone, Supermac S900) and also with a wife. However, once I decided I had had enough waiting for Photoshop and decided to get a 733Mhz G4, I didn't ask anybody, I just ordered it and then excitedly told my wife about it afterwards. She was glad I was so happy, and that was it. And she makes the higher income in the house!

Hmmm.

Maybe you need a wife upgrade as well.

(just kidding)

(sort of)

davidflas
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2001, 02:29 PM

I would use the higher income potential and more time to spend with her ideas, that should work like a charm. That is of course, only if you really do want to spend more time with her.

------------------
"life is pain, Highness, anyone who tells you different is selling something."--The Man in Black from The Princess Bride
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

bluebean
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2001, 10:05 PM

What kind of computer does she use? would she perhaps be sharing this new G4, and possibly get hooked on the power and speed? Maybe if the two of you tried one out together at a store, and then lay it on, brother, lay it on:

oh look honey, I can't believe how we ended up here, but there's the new G4's ... have I told you lately how much it ...er, you mean to me, and how good I'd look, I mean ..er ... you'd look sitting at one these? What do you mean as soon as well sell the house?

jbell
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2001, 11:15 PM

Just a thought: Can it be that your wife is denying you a G4 becauses she senses that you are having a love fest with a G4 and that she will not get the attention she needs if you got one? Tell her that the G4 is faster than the Performa and it will give you more free time to spend time with her!

Forum Links
Forum Rules