Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Cleaning spots on Aluminum Macs

Cleaning spots on Aluminum Macs
joe
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2007, 07:36 AM

I wasn't sure if this was the correct forum (sorry if not). I have a PowerMac G5 and 23" Cinema Display (and plastic 24" iMac). I've been using Apple's iKlear cleaning kit for the past 2 years and it works well enough. But I've noticed my Aluminum devices have some faded white spots that I can't seem to clean with iKlear.

By faded I mean these spots are not obvious unless you're looking close up. There are only a few of them but I'd like to clean/polish or whatever to get rid of them. Has anyone run into this before? Any ideas on what works best?

jlgrandam
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2007, 08:41 AM

I've cleaned my powerbooks and macbook pro with 70% ethanol solution since 2004. I've never seen any side effects and they all look like new.
12.1" Powerbook G4

joe  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2007, 09:53 PM

Ethanol? As in fuel? Did you mean isopropyl alcohol?

jlgrandam
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2007, 10:33 AM

No I mean ethanol, 70% in water. It smells real nice too. I've used isopropyl alcohol as well but like ethanol better as it smells nicer and evaporates quicker.
12.1" Powerbook G4

Twelvepoints
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2007, 08:21 AM

iKlear has polymers which tend to streak and leave spots! We switched to the Shaggymac Optimist Prime. With a microfiber it cleans the lcd and the entire case perfectly.

allensis
Nov 9, 2007, 01:34 AM

I use Baby Wipes - that's right. The same ones I use on my kids. They clean everything. Just wipe it down with the BW and dry off immediately with a clean cotton towel. Works great.

Good luck.

allensis

Forum Links
Forum Rules