Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Does the 27" iMac have a glossy screen?

Does the 27" iMac have a glossy screen?
GSixZero
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2010, 02:46 AM

Yes, I know it has a glossy screen. My questions is does the LCD panel have a glossy coating like the glass? I prefer the matte finish on my monitors, and would consider just removing the glass panel and running it without it, but I've heard some iMacs have panels which have a glossy finish too, which would pretty much defeat the purpose.

Thanks!

ImpulseResponse

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2010, 03:14 AM

Glossy display panels are uncoated.

Matte displays have a matte coat applied.

If they used a matte panel behind a glass pane, they'd combine the drawbacks of both.

OreoCookie
Dec 13, 2010, 04:50 AM

The difference between glossy (/glassy) and matte displays are additional compensator foils for matte displays. There are no glossy or matte panels! Removing the glass wouldn't be of any benefit whatsoever, you would probably even worsen the reflectiveness of the image.

If you want to reduce glare, you should look into getting an anti-glare film such as this one. If a manufacturer wants to make a matte display, they add films such as this one on top.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 13, 2010, 07:39 AM

...and consider tweaking the positioning of the display to avoid the glare too. If you do a bit of physical adjustment, you may find that you don't have quite as big a glare issue. Knowing how much glare is left over after you have turned/tilted the display as much as possible will tell you what kind of film you may need-some are more aggressive than others.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2010, 11:45 AM

We have a lot of clients with the same request. May want to take a look at this product.

I cant recommend this yet as I haven't tried but probably will test it out soon. Apple is smart to make the iMacs glass as it discourages corporate clients from moving entirely to the cheaper iMacs. Many still are but the designers are def complaining.

Make your glossy iMac screen matte
Make your glossy iMac screen matte | Desktops | Macworld Video | Macworld
"Well done is better than well said." -BF
Kitchenall

GSixZero  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2010, 10:37 PM

Apple is smart to make the iMacs glass as it discourages corporate clients from moving entirely to the cheaper iMacs.
How do you figure? The external 27" display is glossy too. I think Apple thinks we all want shiny. Their only matte screens apple sells stock is the white plastic ibook and the macbook air.

ImpulseResponse

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2010, 01:46 AM

The white MacBook and air are glossy.

Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2010, 09:16 AM

The pro laptops have a matte option for $100. You have a point on the Apple Display, makes me think they sell more of those to well heeled consumers that actual professionals.
"Well done is better than well said." -BF
Kitchenall

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2010, 10:26 PM

It's not the glossy-ness per se that annoys me, it's that glass panel that's on top of the screen. It's like seeing the world through glasses.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2010, 10:42 PM

To answer the OP: All Intel iMac models since Apple started using the aluminum enclosures and glass panels over the display have glossy LCDs.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules