Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New HDD in MB

New HDD in MB
deedar
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2011, 02:11 AM

Hello all -

I will be replacing the HDD in my daughter's MB - she has no backup or anything. What I have is my system (on a MBP) backed up using time machine - can I "restore" her computer with my backup? I don't mind her having all my stuff...

Do I need to install leopard on her clean drive first? I have never started with a blank drive before - is it pretty straightforward?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 15, 2011, 06:33 AM

A $25 SATA-to-USB adapter will be your friend. Use Disk Utility to back up HER stuff to the new drive first, or install the new drive, install the OS, then import the old stuff via USB (have the old drive ready to connect while installing the OS).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

deedar  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2011, 09:43 AM

Sorry, I wasn"t clear - I can't back up her stuff because her drive is hosed - otherwise I would!!
( Last edited by deedar; Apr 15, 2011 at 09:56 AM. Reason: clarity)

deedar  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2011, 01:50 PM

OK - I just installed the new HD in the MB. Now what do I do??? Please help!!!!!

deedar  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2011, 02:10 PM

I do have a Leopard install disk, not the one that came with the computer, but one that I purchased, so I could start from scratch - I just think it would be easier if I could put all my stuff (from a MBP) on her computer so she could get going.
( Last edited by deedar; Apr 15, 2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: better reading)

P
Apr 15, 2011, 03:34 PM

Boot from that disk. In one of the menus, there is an option to restore from a Time Machine backup.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

deedar  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2011, 05:07 PM

Ok. It doesn't matter that it is a different machine?

deedar  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2011, 06:10 PM

Do I need to install the OS first? Do I need to format or do anything to the new drive first??
( Last edited by deedar; Apr 15, 2011 at 06:26 PM. Reason: add info)

deedar  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2011, 07:35 PM

Apple tells me this won't work unless I have a system installed on the new drive. The guy I spoke with didn't sound real sure of himself, so I'm not either. Comments? Thanks!

(this is in response to P )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2011, 08:21 PM

Put the Leopard disc in, it should boot from the DVD automatically. Choose your language, go up to the Utilities menu and choose Disk Utility. Select the new blank HDD on the left hand side, then click the erase tab on the right. Give it a name, make sure it is set to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". Click the erase button. Wait for it to finish.

Once it has erased the disk there should be a second entry in the left column with whatever name you gave it below the disk model.
Close the Disk Utility window, then follow through the various windows of the installer, choose the newly formatted disk and set the installation going.

Once it is done it will reboot. The setup assistant will give you the choice to restore from a TM backup. Different machine does not matter.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

deedar  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2011, 01:58 AM

Ok... I followed your instructions for disk utility, named the disk, etc. The installer doesn't recognize the new HD as a destination disk. What now?

Cold Warrior
Apr 16, 2011, 09:15 AM

In Disk Utility, select the top-level hard drive and then the Partition tab. 1 partition, make sure it's GUID.

"You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume..." alert in Installer

deedar  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2011, 10:07 AM

It is GUID, the problem was that I didn't reboot, once I did, it recognized the disk. It's transferring the info now.

30 minutes left! We will soon see if everything works.
( Last edited by deedar; Apr 16, 2011 at 10:52 AM. )

deedar  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2011, 12:20 PM

So far, so good. Everything appears to be working well. Thanks for all the help!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2011, 08:35 AM

Its weird, sometimes you have to reboot after format, sometimes not. Might be a difference between Leopard and Snow Leopard. Sorry I missed that step out.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

deedar  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2011, 10:18 AM

More help please - Everything s working fine, well, almost everything. My daughter has purchased (oh her iphone) a couple of shows, songs and ,movies on her iphone with my itunes account (she has always used my account), but now my computer wants to download her stuff on my itunes and my iphone won't connect to itunes or the app store. Geese, it must be permissions, syncing whatever - I'm just an old guy and don't really understand all of this (obviously) - could somebody out there who does please help! Thanks.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2011, 11:42 AM

This makes little sense.

Are you connecting her phone to your computer? Have you always done it that way? iTunes usually wants to copy purchases from phone to computer, its supposed to do that. If she uses your account, her iTunes stuff is your iTunes stuff.
As for yours not connecting, that shouldn't happen but shouldn't be related either. Can you still sync your phone with your computer?
Restore or update it. See if that helps.
( Last edited by Waragainstsleep; Apr 21, 2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Spelling)

deedar  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2011, 12:59 PM

It may make little sense, but it is happening. I do not connect her phone to my computer, not do I think that she has either. She has always used my itunes account for her purchase, though - but I have never had them download onto my computer. I will try to connect my phone to itunes on my computer when I get home tonight. Thanks.

deedar  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2011, 01:24 PM

Geese - since I cannot connect to the app store, I cannot update any apps. Now, facebook app is perpetually "waiting."

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2011, 07:13 PM

Delete Facebook from the phone, then sync it to your Mac again. The try to update if needed.

deedar  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2011, 11:39 PM

Well, well. I connected to itunes on my computer, updated the IOS and bingo, all seems to be well. Thanks for the help and support!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules