Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Will this RAM be OK for a G5?

Will this RAM be OK for a G5?
PeterThomas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2004, 01:02 AM

Hi there,

I'm currently visiting the US, but I want to get some RAM for my G5 since its cheap out here, unfortunately that means I wont be able to test it until its too late! Can anyone tell me if this will work: http://shop.kingston.com/0904kvr/def...sp?sls=shop_vr

It seems like an excellent price for 512MB PC3200.

Thanks

Pete

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2004, 01:44 AM

That is the same RAM I purchased, except Kingston seems to be selling one DIMM for $73, whereas the company I purchased from, ewiz.com, is selling the Kingston G5 kit (two of those DIMMS) for $89. Remember, G5 RAM must be installed in pairs. Here is the information I posted in an older thread:

Here's my advice: Don't buy the cheapest (i.e. Coast-to-Coast/1800-4-MEMORY), and don't buy the most expensive (i.e. Crucial). When you buy from cheaper companies, you don't get name brand RAM. Most all RAM is produced by a small number of oversees vendors, but I have been told that the cheap resellers use chips that failed the rigorous testing the name brand companies perform. Here's a secret, though: Crucial is not the only name brand memory seller.

There are at least five name brand manufacturers: Crucial, Kingston, Viking, PNY and Corsair. (I wasn't aware Samsung is also major developer.) Crucial is too expensive, IMO, and their site, while pretty, is unhelpful because their memory selector presents too many module variations.

Kingston is more reasonably priced than Viking; both provide lifetime warranties. OTOH, PNY, the cheapest of the name brand RAM, only provides a 10 year warranty. Finally, I've written off Corsair entirely, since that company seems to cater exclusively to PC "enthusiasts," and a search for Apple yielded 0 results.

I've found the easiest path to price comparison is Froogle, and it's important to compare prices - one could easily get screwed over otherwise. Try search terms that reference the specific part and/or part number you're looking for. Be aware of the fact that some companies sell/price the modules individually, whereas most others sell/price them in kits. (G5 RAM needs to be added in pairs.) You'll find a lot of smaller tech companies through Froogle; I bet most are reputable. The really difficult part is determining which companies have which parts in stock and then figuring out which is the cheapest after taxes and shipping.

For my G5 I selected Kingston brand RAM. The cheapest reseller of a 512MB kit was at the time ewiz.com, charging $92. Now I see the price has dropped slightly to $89. Here is the direct link. In comparison to generic RAM this was/is a good deal, and I feel better using high quality components. (A generic 256MB module failed in my iBook months ago, prompting me to look to name brand RAM.) ewiz.com does charge CA tax and $11 shipping, I believe. Hope this helps!

Addendum: bob_hearn taught me something by referring to "stacked RAM," a term which I had not heard of previously. According to this Mac Observer page, "stacked RAM" is synonymous with cheaper, lower-capacity chips. The RAM is stacked because more chips are required, making the module bigger and requiring more power. Although I could be wrong, stacked chips are only really a concern with laptops, because bigger modules may not fit properly in them.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Sep 19, 2004 at 12:24 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2004, 07:47 AM

I disagree with your remarks about crucial, I've found them pretty reasonably priced at least compared with prices at stores.

I've run into problems installing memory from viking and pny, so I'm gun shy about their modules.

As for crucial I haven't had any problems with them. I go by the old adage you get what you pay for.

Mike

Groovy
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2004, 08:11 AM

Originally posted by PeterThomas:
Hi there,

I'm currently visiting the US, but I want to get some RAM for my G5 since its cheap out here, unfortunately that means I wont be able to test it until its too late! Can anyone tell me if this will work: http://shop.kingston.com/0904kvr/def...sp?sls=shop_vr

It seems like an excellent price for 512MB PC3200.

Thanks

Pete
http://www.ramseeker.com/

Forum Links
Forum Rules