Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > USB2 on Parallels.

USB2 on Parallels.
gen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2007, 11:04 AM

Dear all,
I tried Parallels(the newest trial version) on MBP C2D and seemed to work very well. However I could not solve one problem with USB2.0.
The system on Parallels is Windows XP, and I tried to use a digital camera (not a regular camera, the camera itself has only CMOS senser and does not a device to store an image), connecting throug USB port. The camera with a bundled application, usually gives a frame rate around 25, either on Mac OSX or Windows XP (on Pentium 4), and strictly requires to get connected through USB2.0 and a hardware dangle to unprotect.
I installed the same application on Paralles and tried to use the camera. I could use the camera, it means USB2.0 is working on Paralles. However, a frame rate I got is 0.1.
Does anyone know how to solve this problem ? I would not buy it unless this is solved.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks.

ibook_steve
Mar 23, 2007, 04:41 PM

Frame rate? What does frame rate have to do with a camera unless you are talking about a video camera? Which camera? What software? There's basically no information here that would help diagnose the problem.

Steve

gen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2007, 12:54 PM

Hi Steve,

You are right. The camera and the software are for special needs. But the camera is just like iSight. I just wonder USB2.0 on parallels is working at expected speeds. I tried to update WindowsXP but could not see any improvement.
Recently I tested with USB2.0 flash drive and the transfer speed looks similar on Parallels and OSX, I assume USB2.0 on Parallels on my MBPC2D is fine.
I am going to give up the camera to use on my MBP for the moment.

Thank you.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2007, 01:03 PM

usb support has long been parallel''s Achilles’ heel. also I wonder if the software for your camera/web camera or what ever it is requires direct-x. If that is also the case then parallels may not be the best solution.
Michael

mfbernstein
Senior User
Mar 27, 2007, 08:05 PM

Not to sound like a saiesperson, but VMWare's current beta does both USB 2 and DirectX 8.1 (experimental). Not quite as fast as Parallels yet (still has debugging code enabled), but decent nonetheless.

Forum Links
Forum Rules