Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > new iMac Memory installation

new iMac Memory installation
jamester
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2003, 08:38 PM

Hello:

I'm soon to purchase a new iMac 15". I'm going to purchase it stock and then add memory myself, as I can stomach $150-200 extra for 1GB memory versus Apple's $400 for the same amount. That's $200 for each 512MB stick!

Anyhow, I was wondering if it'd be a relatively simple matter for me to install BOTH memory sticks myself, or whether only one is user-accessible? Will I have to take the iMac to my local Apple Store for the other stick to be installed?

Thanks,
James
2.4GHz Macbook. 22" LCD. External 640GB HD. Yum.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2003, 09:01 PM

its pretty easy, you should be able to do it yourself...there are even instructions in the manual you will get with your imac.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2003, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by nredman:
its pretty easy, you should be able to do it yourself...there are even instructions in the manual you will get with your imac.
Really? They give instructions on how to take the machine apart, and tell you that you need thermal paste when reinstalling the components? Why do they tell us that only one slot is user accessible?

There was an article in a recent issue of Macworld, on how to upgrade the hard drive, and if you're ok with taking a few cables and components out, and being careful with putting everything back together precisely, you could do it, but it's not pretty easy.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2003, 12:23 AM

One slot is really easy, the other is not. If you want to get to 1GB, I suggest you order your iMac with 512 MB (1 DIMM). This costs more than what you'd pay at crucial.com, for example, but is well worth it in that you don't have to take the computer apart and void your warranty. Of course, to do this, you need to BTO from Apple's online store - as no stock machines have this.

If you buy a stock iMac from a retailer, you can keep your warranty by having a service center install the non-user RAM, but this will cost as much as BTO.

You can then order RAM for the user-accessible slot from anywhere you choose.

It's more expensive, but well worth it IMHO - saves a lot of trouble with completely pulling your new machine apart. It CAN be done, but it depends on how much hassle you're willing to deal with.

jamester  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2003, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the replies, everybody. Pulling the whole machine apart and voiding a warranty is not my idea of an easy thing to do, so I'll probably leave the one 256 chip as-is, buy an extra 512mb chip elsewhere, and just "hobble along" with 768 for a while until the bug bites me. Then I'll take it in to the Apple Store.

But for 256 extra MB, I can't imagine that I'd be that upset over the performance, so I think it's something that can wait.

Maybe I'll upgrade the 256 chip when I run out of diskspace on the 80GB and need it swapped with a 160GB. Ah, to dream.

Thanks again!!

James
2.4GHz Macbook. 22" LCD. External 640GB HD. Yum.

Forum Links
Forum Rules