Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Airport Extreme not getting an IP address?

Airport Extreme not getting an IP address?
jamester
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2003, 12:25 PM

Hello:

(Long post, sorry...)

I've got a 12" 1Ghz PowerBook revB, and I bought an Airport Extreme card with it. I installed myself, didn't seem too complicated and wouldn't cost the $30 that the local Apple Store wanted to do the job.

Yesterday, it worked fine. I had to upgrade the firmware on my router (NetGear MR814v2) to make it compatible with the 802.11g, but after that it was smooth sailing. I downloaded updates, downloaded mail, websites, chats...

This morning, I fired it up and checked my mail without event. However, about 15 minutes after I started using it, Mailsmith started reporting that it was having trouble talking to my mail servers. I thought it was odd, and I opened a browser window - but couldn't get to any websites either.

I pulled up System Preferences and went to the Network panel, where it said that Airport was connected to my network [network name]. It also said that it self-assigned itself an IP address and that it may not be able to reach the internet.

So, it's now auto-assigning it's own IP instead of getting a DHCP generated IP address. I brought it to work today, because we have wireless in a couple buildings here - same problem - the powerbook will see the network, and will call the network by name - but will not get an IP address.

Any ideas?

Please feel free to ask for more details... I've probably left something out. If nothing else, I'll be going to the Apple Store tonight to see if they can make heads or tails of it.

Could it be a bad Airport Extreme card?

Thanks,
James
2.4GHz Macbook. 22" LCD. External 640GB HD. Yum.

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2003, 12:57 PM

There is nothing wrong with your card. This actually happened to me yesterday when I was on my school network and it said the exact same thing and just stopped connecting to the internet.

The way I fixed it, was I went into network preferences, and then I hit the assist me button. It ended up launching internet connect from your applications folder. After going through that again, it said that it could not connect, but then all the sudden, the light in network preferences turned from yellow to green and it didn't say that stuff about the IP address anymore. I opened up a browser, and sure enough it connected just fine.

I thought it just might have been a glitch in the school network, but giving that you are getting the same problem on your own router, I don't know what to tell you.

All I can say is that I had the exact same problem and it fixed itself within 10 minutes. I have been using airport for a month or so now and this was the first ever problem I had.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2003, 07:42 AM

I just picked up a used iBook *shh, XMas gift for someone*, and the same thing is happening to me. It sees my Airport, but won't get an IP. My Powerbook works fine off of it.

This happens under 10.1 and 10.3. And hitting Assist Me in this case didn't help. I'm going to take it by the reseller I got it from and see what they can come up with.
<This space under renovation>

Sarc
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 09:41 AM

this happens sometimes on my Netgear 802.11b router as well.
restart the router and problem solved.

YMMV
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

pysan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2003, 04:29 PM

Same issue here on my iBook G4 with Linksys B router. The 700 G3 iBook still works just fine, but my new G4 one loses the connection all the time.

I use this iBook at school every day on their wireless network, and it works fine, but as soon as I come home, it immediately finds the Linksys router, says it is connected to that network, and promptly assigns itself a self-addressed IP?! This is really becoming an issue as it makes it a nightmare to network to my G4 tower and PC at home, and since the printer is on my iBook at my desk, when the iBook self-assigns, no other machine can print, etc... I have tried restarting the iBook numerous times, hitting the assistant, trying to get a new address, and switching from manual to dhcp again, all to no avail.

The router was having issues even with ethernet though with the two desktops, when I switched to my old dlink router, it worked fine. So I just got a replacement Linksys, but haven't had a chance to get it home and try it yet, but I will tomorrow, so we'll see if that fixes it, otherwise, if anyone has any other fixes, I am more than open to them.

Ryan
iMac G5 1.8 17" SD/768MB/80GB
iPod Mini 4gb Rev. B
external firewire 400 120GB drive

jamester  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2003, 04:45 PM

I figure since I started the thread I should update I took the PowerBook to work where we have another 802.11b network. I got the same thing here as I got at home - self-assigned IP. So I took it to the Apple Store after work, confident that when I opened it, I'd get the same thing, and I could show them geniuses that something's wrong.

I got to the Apple Store, opened it up, and blammo - it found the network and got an IP address. I was online. :/ I explained what was happening to the genius (is that even spelled right??) and he was at a loss, but suggested I try it at another retail establishment where they have another wireless network set up. I did, and it worked there too.

I went home, thinking it's all better now because taking it to the Apple Store must've made the RDF click back into compliance, and when I got home - blammo - self-assigned IP.

I reset the router and was able to get on, but the next morning it was the same ol' same ol. It seems that if I reset the router, everything will be fine for a while until the next morning when it's back to can't get an IP.

So I went out, got a netgear 802.11g router from Best Buy (woo - $89 before a $20 rebate, beats Circuit City's $129 instore or $99 online price no matter which way you slice it). Ever since, I've been able to get reliable connections.

The only glitch I've come across is that if my wife (using an iBook with Airport) and I (using my PB with Airport Extreme) connect and transfer large files with Rendezvous, for some reason we'll *both* lose the signal. The iBook will still see the base station, but won't show any signal strength. And the powerbook shows nada. So it's back to reset-ville.

Since then, we've just avoided using Rendezvous. Sure it sucks, but it's better than running downstairs, jumping behind easy-chairs and resetting the dadgum router. =)

Sorry this post is so long... Once I get going, it's kinda hard to shut me up sometimes.
2.4GHz Macbook. 22" LCD. External 640GB HD. Yum.

Forum Links
Forum Rules