Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > DXM (Robo, Cough Syrup)... Have you tried it? Thoughts?

DXM (Robo, Cough Syrup)... Have you tried it? Thoughts?
ambush
Banned
Apr 21, 2004, 08:28 PM

So it looks like the new legal drug... Similar to LSD yet very different etc. etc.

I have read a lot on it, but decided not to try it as I discovered it was harmful for the brain (dissociatives are bad) and somewhat addictive... and easy to overdose.

I might try it later, tho... But I wanted to know if you guys have tried it... everybody at my school is talking about it.... it's found in most cough syrups (dextrometorphane hydrobromide) and it's a very powerful hallucinogen.... there was a report on the TV show dateline recently....

... so.. share your thoughts, etc.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 08:33 PM

Never heard of it. Must be a sign I'm:
1 - geting old
or
2 - really, really uninformed

mattyd
Senior User
Apr 21, 2004, 08:35 PM

ohhh... another drug thread.

i've never done it, but you'll find just about anything you've ever wanted to know about it here... http://dextromethorphan.ws

this reminds me... i haven't done acid in a couple of years. i think it's time.

faragbre967
Senior User
Apr 21, 2004, 09:04 PM

I say if you use it, use it in moderation. Drugs like that should never be used more than once a month, if that. Try it, and move on with life.

By the by, has anyone tried salvia divinorum? Heard it's great with pot.

ender2002
Senior User
Apr 21, 2004, 09:06 PM

ambush  (op)
Banned
Apr 21, 2004, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by ender2002:
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/faq/dxm_faq.shtml

amat�res.
Dah. I visit Erowid so many times a month, I gave them 10 bucks!

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2004, 10:27 PM

Wow... that is quite a detailed site...

-Owl

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2004, 10:28 PM

Sounds interesting, done psycoblin a handful of times, know a few friends that Robo-tripped and the accounts seem to be about the same as mine. Unfortunately just taking cough-medicine normally makes me shudder, I dunno if I would be able to pound a whole bottle :yuck:

Oh and on Erowid, search for Datura, look at some of the Bad Trip stories...some crazy sh!te

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2004, 03:03 AM

Originally posted by mattyd:
this reminds me... i haven't done acid in a couple of years. i think it's time.
Wow, I just realized that it's been almost 20 years since my last hit of acid!
Haven't had any mescaline lately either, and that's my favorite psychedelic. Anybody got some?
Hmmm, this DXM stuff sounds interesting. Wonder how long until the government bans it.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

ambush  (op)
Banned
Apr 22, 2004, 06:45 AM

Originally posted by malvolio:
Haven't had any mescaline lately either, and that's my favorite psychedelic. Anybody got some?
Hmmm, this DXM stuff sounds interesting. Wonder how long until the government bans it.
It's unfortunately the only known cough stopper, along with opiates, which are of course a lot more addictive. So they won't ban it, unless they find a new compound...

Only ****, Datura bad trips are insane... I'd never do that ****!

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2004, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by malvolio:
I Prefer the mushroom to the cactus.

Rather have rainbows than geometry in my head.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2004, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by ambush:
So it looks like the new legal drug... Similar to LSD yet very different etc. etc.

I have read a lot on it, but decided not to try it as I discovered it was harmful for the brain (dissociatives are bad) and somewhat addictive... and easy to overdose.

I might try it later, tho... But I wanted to know if you guys have tried it... everybody at my school is talking about it.... it's found in most cough syrups (dextrometorphane hydrobromide) and it's a very powerful hallucinogen.... there was a report on the TV show dateline recently....

... so.. share your thoughts, etc.
Apparently its like Ketamine, which is not much fun.
You hallucinate, but not in a good way (ie. my legs are 2 miles long and I cant talk).

Don't bother, id rather stick to a good book and a glass of wine.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2004, 09:34 AM

i read that as good box of wine.

hahaha, sorry. wino

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2004, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
Don't bother, id rather stick to a good book and a glass of wine.
I'm with you on this one.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2004, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by residentEvil:
i read that as good box of wine.

hahaha, sorry. wino
Did you assume I was going to read the whole book in one go?

DoGoodDrugs
Apr 22, 2004, 11:01 AM

i vote cough syrup a bad drug. things like this is why marijuana should be legal.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2004, 11:06 AM

its not too bad, until the next morning... it makes you have cramps

mattyd
Senior User
Apr 22, 2004, 11:07 AM

Apparently its like Ketamine, which is not much fun.
You hallucinate, but not in a good way (ie. my legs are 2 miles long and I cant talk).
i'm with you there. i have friends who love special k. i can't do it. it makes me immobile and nauseous.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2004, 01:10 PM

Drugs arnt worth it.

Sure you have fun for the time being, but think about the effects it is having on your brain. Most drugs only take one bad hit/high dosage to mess you up for life. Yes, you may be lucky 100 times, or you may be the unlucky one to be messed up after your first time.

I'm speaking from experience here, I have lost my zest for life after doing e just once. It's just not worth it. (I am slowly getting better though).

Chris

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2004, 01:20 PM

robo tripping? thats the kinda things the hicks in the middle of nowhere central NY did in high school. that and huffing the stuff under the sink and drinking a mixture of whatever you can steal from mom and dads liquor cabinet.

man, get some real drugs. or go steal sudafed from wall mart and cook up some meth in the bathtub.

short version- nah, ten to one, aint worth it, so dont even bother. figure out how to get real, proven drugs if thats what blows your hair back.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2004, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
Drugs arnt worth it.

Sure you have fun for the time being, but think about the effects it is having on your brain. Most drugs only take one bad hit/high dosage to mess you up for life. Yes, you may be lucky 100 times, or you may be the unlucky one to be messed up after your first time.

I'm speaking from experience here, I have lost my zest for life after doing e just once. It's just not worth it. (I am slowly getting better though).

Chris
Well theres your problem right there. I'd do a number of drugs but fu*k E. I've heard al sorts of horror stories about E. The thing about Hallucinogenics is that they are non habit-forming and flush out of your system much faster than other drugs.

E is for faggoty raver fools who like to dance with glowsticks and have their best friends rub their hair and sh!t, not my scene or drug. I don't want to feel overtly happy for no reason, if I take a hard drug I want to see pretty colors dammit!

benb
Apr 22, 2004, 02:26 PM

I regularly use DXM when I have a cold. It has a slight burn on the way down if taken in liquid form, but that is from the ethenol. It is not usually very effective, only keeping coughing at bay for an hour or so. Recommended dosage is every 4 hours. I try to take it right before bed. I have found that Vicks NyQuil is better all around however. It contains Dextromethorphan hydrobromide for the cough, Acetaminophen for body aches, and Doxylamine succinate to make one drowsy. Used in combination with another Vicks product, VapoRub [Camphor (another cough suppressant), Methanol, and Eucalyptus oil (both for relieving congestion)] it is highly effective.

Also, if you need DXM it goes well with Saltine crackers and Chicken Noodle Soup. Hope you feel better soon!

mattyd
Senior User
Apr 22, 2004, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by sek929:
Well theres your problem right there. I'd do a number of drugs but fu*k E. I've heard al sorts of horror stories about E. The thing about Hallucinogenics is that they are non habit-forming and flush out of your system much faster than other drugs.

E is for faggoty raver fools who like to dance with glowsticks and have their best friends rub their hair and sh!t, not my scene or drug. I don't want to feel overtly happy for no reason, if I take a hard drug I want to see pretty colors dammit!
i've done e dozens and dozens of times over the past 15 years. and while i don't get off on it like i used to it's still one of my favorites. no long-term ill-effects (not yet anyway).

i like hallucinogens, but for me they're more of an introspective thing -- i don't like to trip in crowded places. acid or shrooms are more fun when i can take long walks or listen to music or hang with a few friends. (i ate shrooms before seeing the the matrix reloaded, that was a wild time!)

sometimes a sweaty, dance-y love-fest is just what the doctor ordered, and in those cases it's all about ecstacy. of course, know what you're doing...

http://www.pillreports.com/

http://www.dancesafe.org/labtesting/

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2004, 03:11 PM

Hmmmm 'Faggoty'. Nice terminology there. And yeah I take offense to that, cause I am a gay club kid.

Idiots...

Chris

mattyd
Senior User
Apr 22, 2004, 03:24 PM

Hmmmm 'Faggoty'. Nice terminology there. And yeah I take offense to that, cause I am a gay club kid.
former club kid here (it was a phase).

still gay, though (it definitely wasn't).

and while i don't think sek929 meant that as a gay slur necessarily, it is offensive to lots of people nonetheless.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2004, 03:37 PM

Eh sorry, if I had a dime for everyone I've offended over the years I'd be a rich man. I, in no way, am against gays....I just hate everyone

And I club too, but my drug of choice for that is booze (and Adderall ) I just dislike the general E crowd, its a complete opposite of what I am. I also know a bunch of friends I used to have in HS that have serious emotinion instabilities due to that drug so I am totally all set with it.

Back to tripping, I don't know anyone who would like to be of his ass in public, I saw Goldmember while on shrooms (terrible movie now that I see it straight) and I had to piss, I swear that every eye in the audience was on me when I made my (seemingly) four hour trek to the bathroom. Other than that I love shrooms, very introspective, awesome when you do it with your closest friends (and play wiffle-ball)

ambush  (op)
Banned
Apr 22, 2004, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by benb:
I regularly use DXM when I have a cold. It has a slight burn on the way down if taken in liquid form, but that is from the ethenol. It is not usually very effective, only keeping coughing at bay for an hour or so. Recommended dosage is every 4 hours. I try to take it right before bed. I have found that Vicks NyQuil is better all around however. It contains Dextromethorphan hydrobromide for the cough, Acetaminophen for body aches, and Doxylamine succinate to make one drowsy. Used in combination with another Vicks product, VapoRub [Camphor (another cough suppressant), Methanol, and Eucalyptus oil (both for relieving congestion)] it is highly effective.

Also, if you need DXM it goes well with Saltine crackers and Chicken Noodle Soup. Hope you feel better soon!
Haha.

Thanks

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 22, 2004, 03:44 PM

I don't see how he cures coughs.

ambush  (op)
Banned
Apr 22, 2004, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I don't see how he cures coughs.

Damn you*.

* The one who unbanned Zimphire.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2004, 03:57 PM

My friend and I tried it when we were about your age (he used it about 4 or 5 times before stopping). One go was enough for me. Really wasn't worth the hassle of holding down a container or two of the ****. It can **** you up pretty bad, depending on the amount you take, of course. I swore that evening, when I was laying on my bed, that I was in a boat fishing. Weirdest feeling to feel like your experiencing such an event. Hard to explain�it's like the thought of the experience made me feel like I was there fishing in a boat.

Anywho, I don't recommend it, feelings of fishing or not. Not worth the trouble, in my opinion from my experience with it. Drink lots of beer instead, and then drive home.

mattyd
Senior User
Apr 22, 2004, 04:02 PM

I saw Goldmember while on shrooms (terrible movie now that I see it straight) and I had to piss, I swear that every eye in the audience was on me when I made my (seemingly) four hour trek to the bathroom.
hahahaha. that's hysterical!

SAME THING happened to me when i saw matrix reloaded on shrooms, but better -- after i finished peeing i couldn't find my seat in the dark theater. i walked up and down the isle like twelve times. turned out that the movie was showing on two screen and i had wandered my tripping ass in to the wrong theater!

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2004, 04:16 PM

I decided to go Robotrippin last year sometime. WE needed a magazine article for the paper i worked for...(humor magazine) so we each took a different drug...i picked the Tussin.

Its not fun.
Colourfull lights? yes.
odd feelings? yes.

Its really hard to put into words what i felt...it certainly was like a floating feeling, with things just moving in and out of perspective. Kinda got paranoid towards the end..i hate to break it to everyone in this post...but its certainly old news...move along folks...welcome to 2002 / 2003

certainly not the smartest thing i ever did, but hey, i knew that going into it and it was sooo college.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 22, 2004, 04:19 PM

Idiots...
Take a word of advice. Don't interrupt threads busting people about offensive words.

ambush  (op)
Banned
Apr 22, 2004, 04:50 PM

Take a word of advice. Don't interrupt threads busting people about offensive words.
Ohhhh the idiot learned his lesson.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2004, 05:04 PM

hahahaha. that's hysterical!

SAME THING happened to me when i saw matrix reloaded on shrooms, but better -- after i finished peeing i couldn't find my seat in the dark theater. i walked up and down the isle like twelve times. turned out that the movie was showing on two screen and i had wandered my tripping ass in to the wrong theater!
Heh, yeah that sounds like fun. The worst part about the movie theater trip walk was once I turned away from the screen everything was pitch black...and we all know what the mind likes to do with pitch blackness in that situation. I am convinced I looked like a retarted monkey when I was crossing in front of everyone.

Comical? Yes, but I prefer my trips in the privacy of my own living area now.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2004, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
Ohhhh the idiot learned his lesson.

Obviously he didnt, cause that's not the reason he was banned

Pointing out things that upset you isnt a bad thing. Derailing threads every 2 seconds is.

And just so i'm not a hypocrite:

<ontopic> DON'T DO DRUGS!!!! </ontopic>

Chris

ender2002
Senior User
Apr 22, 2004, 07:44 PM

<ontopic> DON'T DO DRUGS!!!! </ontopic>

No.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2004, 08:54 PM

I like reality just the way it is, thank you very much.

Ambush, you're not impressing anyone.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

ambush  (op)
Banned
Apr 22, 2004, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by Tulkas:

Read my post closely

Ok ok I'll help ya!

What I said
Heck, I even underlined keywords!

mattyd
Senior User
Apr 22, 2004, 09:29 PM

reality is what you make it. just because you experience something through a different lens doesn't make it any less real.

i don't think he was trying to impress anyone. just having a friendly conversation -- about "reality".

time to step down from the high-horse. it's the holier-than-thou types you really have to look out for, anyway.

benb
Apr 22, 2004, 10:16 PM

me to step down from the high-horse. it's the holier-than-thou types you really have to look out for, anyway.
Usually the need to justify one's actions to others arises from the fact that one's conscience is not completely guilt free. If you honestly don't care what others think, that would not bother you.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 22, 2004, 10:19 PM

I think some people didn't take what Tulkas said the right way.

Or they did, and I took it wrongly.

Since Tulkas never quoted ambush. I believe he must be referring to ambush's last few posts.

Now I am just assuming here. But I could be wrong.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2004, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by benb:
I regularly use DXM when I have a cold. It has a slight burn on the way down if taken in liquid form, but that is from the ethenol. It is not usually very effective, only keeping coughing at bay for an hour or so. Recommended dosage is every 4 hours. I try to take it right before bed. I have found that Vicks NyQuil is better all around however. It contains Dextromethorphan hydrobromide for the cough, Acetaminophen for body aches, and Doxylamine succinate to make one drowsy.
Yeah, Nyquil is 25% ethanol (correct spelling). Means it's 50 proof.
/mal

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2004, 10:49 PM

I Prefer the mushroom to the cactus.

Rather have rainbows than geometry in my head.
Well, for me, mesc gives me rainbow-colored geometry.
/mal

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2004, 11:57 PM

I think some people didn't take what Tulkas said the right way.

Or they did, and I took it wrongly.

Since Tulkas never quoted ambush. I believe he must be referring to ambush's last few posts.

Now I am just assuming here. But I could be wrong.
Bing Bing bing. Correct.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2004, 12:10 AM

reality is what you make it. just because you experience something through a different lens doesn't make it any less real.
\Re*al"i*ty\, n.; pl. Realities. [Cf. F. r['e]alit['e], LL. realitas. 1. The state or quality of being real; actual being or existence of anything, in distinction from mere appearance; fact.

Sorry, I mixed up my words. Hallucinogens alter your perception of reality. So no they do not make reality any less real, they make your perception of reality less real.

If you really know what you're doing down to a science (literally), and know WHY you are doing it then go ahead. Otherwise you're just playing russian roulette with your brain.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 23, 2004, 08:36 AM

Bing Bing bing. Correct.
Thanks.

mattyd
Senior User
Apr 23, 2004, 11:18 AM

Bing Bing bing. Correct.
my apologies for jumping on the negativity bandwagon. i was a little cranky.

ambush  (op)
Banned
Apr 23, 2004, 01:14 PM

Bing Bing bing. Correct.

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2004, 01:36 PM

I've done DXM quite a few times, during high school in upstate NY... wow, you were right on target with that one. The thing is it is not really like LSD or mushrooms. About every other time I had done it, I puked before I got high, but when you did it hit you like a ton of bricks. What would always happen would be that we would chug the Robo, or take the box of Coricidin but trust me that's even worse news, and sit around waiting for it, just about the time you stop concentrating on how long it's taking to kick in you'll stand up and wham, I'd get dizzy, light headed, and the room I was in would seem to stretch out of proportion. But not like on real hallucinogens, more like my mind was just so confused that my eyes were having a hard time keeping up with reality. I'd get some visuals from it, but not like from other things, just having a hard time seeing correctly, once I was going way too strong and had to lay down and I just laid there watching the room barrel roll around me. It's a very dirty high, I'd always sweat a lot, itch some, and my body would just feel 'dirty'.

What I recently tried, and while I was very amazed at the strength of it I was unhappy with it and doubt I'll do it again, was tripping from Dramamine (yes, the motion sickness pills). I ate 9 and I was out of my mind, could barely move, talking was horribly hard. Hallucinated similarly to mushrooms, but also on top of that I'd see things that weren't there, shadows of things swarming around my feet when stumbling through a dark hallway, ribbons made of wood flowing out of the wall for about 10 minutes, watched my friend sit down and have a 'conversation' with somebody that we hadn't even seen at all that day. It was stupid though, too disoriented to even attempt to enjoy it. OTC highs are lame and dirty, not sure why I even wanted to try out a new one.
|wishing is for suckers|

Forum Links
Forum Rules