Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why does liquor taste so bad?

Why does liquor taste so bad?
Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 11:12 PM

Alright, I love beer and could drink it all day, but most liquor tastes TERRIBLE. I don't understand how my friends can actually like the taste of Jack, Jim Beam, and some god awful rum and coke. Are they talking themselves into liking it?! They have to be . . .

Is there some good tasting liquors out there that still have a high alcohol content?
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2004, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by Webscreamer:
Is there some good tasting liquors out there that still have a high alcohol content?
Ordinary Jack & Coke I dislike; however, if you get the premium Gentleman Jack & Coke...that's some good stuff!

dtriska
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 11:22 PM

Alright, I love beer and could drink it all day, but most liquor tastes TERRIBLE. I don't understand how my friends can actually like the taste of Jack, Jim Beam, and some god awful rum and coke. Are they talking themselves into liking it?! They have to be . . .
I think the same about people who drink beer.

fireside
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2004, 11:28 PM

i think they just drink to drink.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2004, 11:31 PM

I only drink liquor if I want to get sh1tfaced QUICK!

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 11:33 PM

I heard that "UV Blue Raspberry" tastes really good, but you gotta drink most of the bottle to feel anything.

What about that "Bacardi Silver" and "Razz" stuff? any good? I've just seen it on TV

Cubeoid
Baninated
Sep 15, 2004, 11:34 PM

I don't understand how my friends can actually like the taste of Jack, Jim Beam, and some god awful rum and coke.
Obviously, you're not an alcoholic.

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by demograph68:
I only drink liquor if I want to get sh1tfaced QUICK!
Me too... but I'm to the point I just can't drink it with them anymore. I even think about it or smell it and I am ready to vomit.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 15, 2004, 11:35 PM

I'm no alchie but I like the taste of say.. Seagrams 7.

Canada makes some good whiskey.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2004, 11:45 PM

Different people have different tastes. I prefer a good Soctch on ice; to me it has smooth, mellow, taste, whereas most beers (particularly cheap stuff like Bud, Miller, Strohs, etc.,) is like sex in a canoe; fkcing close to water.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2004, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by dtriska:
i completely agree. i can't stand the taste of beer. i think it is just personal preference.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 15, 2004, 11:59 PM

Depends on the beer, and what it is served in. I can't STAND can beer.

Bottle and glass is the only way I will drink it.

I drink some "rich" beer because I usually only have one.

I have come to find out the people who drink beer like Budweiser and the like do so because it is light in both color and taste.

They can drink a lot of it without it getting "too rich"

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Different people have different tastes. I prefer a good Soctch on ice; to me it has smooth, mellow, taste, whereas most beers (particularly cheap stuff like Bud, Miller, Strohs, etc.,) is like sex in a canoe; fkcing close to water.
Does Scotch taste like or have the same "syrupy" sweet/bitter taste as. say, Jack?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 12:07 AM

Does Scotch taste like or have the same "syrupy" sweet/bitter taste as. say, Jack?
no. there is really no one scotch taste, and perhaps that explains all the variety in scotch brands and varieties. me, i like mcallan 18 year, but i have been known to have champagne taste on a (cheap, canoe quality) beer budget.

and me, im a big fan of makers mark chased by a pint or sierra nevada pale. in fact i had one tonight. all the rest of the employees drink heiniken and jaeger, but i cant drink that bilge.

ringo
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 12:08 AM

Hard liquor is kind of an acquired taste. If you keep drinking, you'll stop tasting the liquor after 3 or 4 anyway.

Try vodka. It has a more mellow flavor, even if it still burns a little on the way down.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by ringo:
Hard liquor is kind of an acquired taste. If you keep drinking, you'll stop tasting the liquor after 3 or 4 anyway.

Try vodka. It has a more mellow flavor, even if it still burns a little on the way down.
I noticed the same thing from drinking Vodka. But why drink it straight when you could mix a white russian.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 12:21 AM

Vodka definitely. (0.5)Vodka + (0.5)Orange Juice = (1)Screw Driver; simple and perfectly tolerable drink. And Ringo's right, after several shots of it straight it burns all your tastebuds or something and you stop tasting it, this is usually the point when things get dangerous because you're able to drink it down like water...

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by itistoday:
Vodka definitely. (0.5)Vodka + (0.5)Orange Juice = (1)Screw Driver; simple and perfectly tolerable drink. And Ringo's right, after several shots of it straight it burns all your tastebuds or something and you stop tasting it, this is usually the point when things get dangerous because you're able to drink it down like water...
I'm gonna give this a try!

Still, anyone had Bacardi Razz or Bacardi Silver? Good, bad?

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2004, 12:36 AM

I like Sambuca quite a bit, especially if it's been in the freezer for a while.

JonoG4
Senior User
Sep 16, 2004, 12:38 AM

Captain Morgan and Coke, or Jack and Coke; it's the ****! I've had a nice amount of Morgan and Coke tonight. It's good :-) I'm sure it's true what you say about taste buds, or you get too drunk to taste it and it's still all good.
Mac mini 1.25/512/40
iBook 600/384/20/
iMac 233/288/4/

demograph68
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 12:39 AM

... Bacardi Silver? Good, bad?
It's a malt beverage right? I liked the orange flavored variant.

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by JonoG4:
Captain Morgan and Coke, or Jack and Coke; it's the ****! I've had a nice amount of Morgan and Coke tonight. It's good :-) I'm sure it's true what you say about taste buds, or you get too drunk to taste it and it's still all good.
Maybe i should just hold my nose for the first few drinks...

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 12:42 AM

I'm gonna give this a try!

Still, anyone had Bacardi Razz or Bacardi Silver? Good, bad?
dude, they're just chick fuel, spare yourself the humiliation. its just sweet alcoholic soda. not even real liquor. like 5% content.

tip to newbies- vanilla coke is an excellent mixer for rum based drinks. especially the captian.

JonoG4
Senior User
Sep 16, 2004, 12:42 AM

Maybe i should just hold my nose for the first few drinks...
No, most certainly not. Maybe it is an aquired taste. Try Rum and Coke a few times and you will probably end up loving it.
Mac mini 1.25/512/40
iBook 600/384/20/
iMac 233/288/4/

JonoG4
Senior User
Sep 16, 2004, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
dude, they're just chick fuel, spare yourself the humiliation. its just sweet alcoholic soda. not even real liquor. like 5% content.
Exactly, all those pathetic COOLERS are for chicks! People who cannot tolerate a real drink. Drink sum nice rum or whiskey with Coke.
Mac mini 1.25/512/40
iBook 600/384/20/
iMac 233/288/4/

JonoG4
Senior User
Sep 16, 2004, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:

tip to newbies- vanilla coke is an excellent mixer for rum based drinks. especially the captian.
Haven't tried vanilla with Captain, I think I'll stick to my trusty Coke with Morgan rather than that crap Vanilla.
Mac mini 1.25/512/40
iBook 600/384/20/
iMac 233/288/4/

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2004, 12:46 AM

Jack is a sour mash whisky, so scotch doesn't really taste like it at all. I like liquor a lot more than beer. There's this cinnamon whiskey called Fireball that is quite delicious, great for shots.
|wishing is for suckers|

JonoG4
Senior User
Sep 16, 2004, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by dtriska:
Exactly! A nice rum or whiskey with Coke is better than any beer.
Mac mini 1.25/512/40
iBook 600/384/20/
iMac 233/288/4/

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by TheDisaster:
Jack is a sour mash whisky, so scotch doesn't really taste like it at all. I like liquor a lot more than beer. There's this cinnamon whiskey called Fireball that is quite delicious, great for shots.
I'm a fan for shots... get it over quick, and why get all the calories

jesus . . . i'm sounding like a girl

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 12:57 AM

oh no, you've been sounding like a girl for quite some time now.

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 01:04 AM

Please pass the beer.

forkies
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 01:25 AM

i love all this talk of alcohol: the legal drug

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2004, 01:43 AM

Why does liquor taste so bad? Why does all alcohol taste so bad???

The only form of an alcoholic drink I've ever had, which didn't make me feel like my taste buds were being attacked by vicious aliens was, strangely enough, a solution of about 30% diet Coke and 70% Strohrom (I don't know what it's called in English - it's some kind of rum that's about 80% or so)... I don't know why I couldn't taste the alcohol in this particular concoction, when I can taste it quite clearly in even the sweetest and thinnest of cocktails, but I couldn't. Of course, the result was that it tasted like diet Coke, which isn't much better...

chalk_outline
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2004, 01:44 AM

I do love beer. I love it so much it fixed my marriage.

But, I can't stand the "brown" liquors. I like a good screwdriver or gin and pink lemonade. I can drink Vodka like water now. Even if it is Gordons.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 03:55 AM

I love Bicardi 151 when i go clubbing ... the alky is so pricey that drinking nothing but 151 tanks you at half the cost of hennessy or something. and yeah .. i used to drink liquor when i was around 14-18 or so ... weekly .. almost daily ... and even binge drinking every day for a few years during my "troubled years" but started working out when i was 18 so i stopped alot of the drinking ... now that i just turned 21 .. i find i like beer more than liquor (stella etc ... i cant stand domestic beer... although anchor steam and mickey's malt liquor isnt too bad =P)

if u want a mixed drink .. try sprite/7up and bicardi limon ...

i am not adventurous enough to go to bars to try all the cocktails ...

curious: ... anyone know of a good well aged scotch? .. i'm thinking sub 100 ... fire off some names if you dont mind ... i am tempted to try jonnie black and johnnie gold ... i aint gonna spring for blue....

any better suggestions? .. hows dewars 12?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

badidea
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 04:11 AM

Originally posted by KarlG:
... I prefer a good Soctch on ice...
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhh, Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
Scotch and ICE is a big NO-NO!!!!! Do you also drink red wine with ice?!? Scotch HAS to be room temperature, please!
If you really want ice, then put it in an american wiskey!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2004, 04:59 AM

Originally posted by chalk_outline:
I do love beer. I love it so much it fixed my marriage.

But, I can't stand the "brown" liquors. I like a good screwdriver or gin and pink lemonade. I can drink Vodka like water now. Even if it is Gordons.
Gin.

Gordon's is gin.

And it's pretty crap gin, too, I might add. No idea why it's the standard.

Even Finsbury is a lot better, and that's like two-thirds the price.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2004, 05:09 AM

Me too... but I'm to the point I just can't drink it with them anymore. I even think about it or smell it and I am ready to vomit.
Believe me, this is a good, good thing.

It means you're not cut out for huge drunken binges on cheap poison.

That crap ain't fun, ain't tasty, ain't cool, and it ain't healthy.

If you try some high-quality liquor (a good single malt whisky, for example), you may take a liking to it. Be discriminate, and above all: savor it. Don't guzzle; don't drink it to get drunk. Drink it rarely and in moderation; the buzz will come on its own.

The coolers (Bacardi breeze or whatever it's called over there) are specifically designed to turn children into alcoholics. They are hugely successful at this, since they look and taste like soda pop and not like alcohol (government here just added a hefty alcopop tax to make them less affordable for kids). The sugar in them also guarantees the most wonderful hangovers.

-s*

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 05:40 AM

Because you are drinking cheap booze and mixing it with sugar water.
What did you expect? Most of those brands mentioned thus far are inexpensive and cheaply produced. Higher quality whiskey is not syrupy and you don't mix it with soda.
Rum is sweet because it is made with molasses.

Apart from that I do not know what you mean by tasting good. The higher the content of alcohol the stronger the liquor will taste. Its a pretty simple concept.

Beer for the most part is terrible. You have some good stuff out there like Guinness or Hacker-Pschorr but most of the beer in your average bar is so watered down that you can barely taste it. Maybe that's why you like it, its pretty tasteless. Who couldn't drink water all day long?

If you are going to drink rail alcohol or the mass produced super brands and then mix it with Coke or 7up then don't expect it to taste like the stuff that costs $20 bucks or more an ounce. Furthermore if you want to mix alcohol with juices or soda-pop because you can't take the strength or concentration then accept the fact it is a chick drink. If you are shopping for stuff with the word raspberry or peach in the name and you don't live on some tropical island then you are already a lost cause.n:
( Last edited by Captain Obvious; Sep 16, 2004 at 05:45 AM. )

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 05:45 AM

i am not a big fan of the taste of liquor either, the only kind i can drink is vodka, if i drink gin, rum, jack or anything else i will get sick or have a really bad hangover. as for beer i usually try to stick to guiness or heineken.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2004, 05:47 AM

C.O.:

Well, I suppose I could have put it that way, too, if I'd wanted to be an asshole about it.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 05:58 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
... anyone know of a good well aged scotch? .. i'm thinking sub 100 ... fire off some names if you dont mind ... i am tempted to try jonnie black and johnnie gold ... i aint gonna spring for blue....
Like for casual consumption? 15 y/o Jameson or 17 y/o Bowmore
Both should be about that price point

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by badidea:

Scotch and ICE is a big NO-NO!!!!! Do you also drink red wine with ice?!? Scotch HAS to be room temperature, please!
Sorry Karl, but badidea is right.
Scotch on ice is a crime. How to ruin a good drink in one single step.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 08:03 AM

I LOVE gin and tonics, but others hate them...

I think of it like cigarettes. How the hell do people smoke cigarette after cigarette!...

Why not save some money by inhaling paint fumes (to screw up your lungs) and roll in some dog crap (to make you smell oh' so nice)?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 09:19 AM

jack and coke

everclear and fruit punch

and the new shot of choice, hypenotic or something like that. it isn't spelled how you think. it is blue and based from cognac. very expensive, but very good.

chalk_outline
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2004, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Gin.

Gordon's is gin.

And it's pretty crap gin, too, I might add. No idea why it's the standard.

Even Finsbury is a lot better, and that's like two-thirds the price.
Gordon's does Gin and Vodka in the U.S. of Gay. Most of us don't have the money for booze. Healthcare is spendy up in this muthu.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by itistoday:
Oh YEAH baby! Screwdrivers all the way!

Don't have to mix it that strong, 1/5th vodka in 4/5th orange juice is fine as well. In fact just mix a screwdriver to your liking.

Alternatively Bacardi Ron carta blanca and zumo de pi�a is a darn fine combination as well
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

badidea
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 09:41 AM

Did anyone ever have a french TGV (not the train, the drink)??

it's Tequila-Gin-Vodka (1/3,1/3,1/3) and tastes as it sounds like! Was my starting drink when I was 15yrs old and luckily I didn't stay in France very long...

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 07:47 PM

When I went to Aruba for the first time, the bartender conned my buddy into getting a Zombie:
2 shots Vodka
1 shot Rum
1 shot Gin
1 shot Whisky
splash of tonic

I think he was just emptying the liquor cabinet, but my buddy drank it anyways. 6 years later he is successfully an alcoholic.

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
When I went to Aruba for the first time, the bartender conned my buddy into getting a Zombie:
2 shots Vodka
1 shot Rum
1 shot Gin
1 shot Whisky
splash of tonic

I think he was just emptying the liquor cabinet, but my buddy drank it anyways. 6 years later he is successfully an alcoholic.
LOL

Forum Links
Forum Rules