Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Boot Panel BG Blue color?

Boot Panel BG Blue color?
G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2004, 02:52 PM

I just need a screenshot of this. I am not sure which blue it is behind the boot screen.

Thanks...

R

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2004, 03:17 PM

Hmmm. How would one go about doing that. I mean the computer is still starting up how can ya take a screenshot. I'm sure one of you GUI geniuses know a way.

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2004, 04:28 PM

I am fairly certain that this would involve hacking the BootX file.
|wishing is for suckers|

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2004, 04:38 PM

... or a digital camera.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2004, 05:17 PM

Is it the same blue as the one included in Apple's collection of desktops (the solid color ones)?

zachs
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2004, 12:07 AM

Hmmm, is this it?

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2004, 03:09 AM

Originally posted by zachs:
Hmmm, is this it?

Thanks for this, I'll check it out. I have some crazy ideas for a boot panel. Think Aero

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2004, 09:52 AM

I looked into hacking the color a while ago and in Apple's header files for the code that brings up the display it is referred to as "French Blue", if that helps at all.

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Dec 1, 2004, 06:50 PM

It's the same color blue as the solid color background supplied with the OS. Apply it to your background and restart, watch the colors and they'll be the same.

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2004, 08:17 PM

If the post right above mine didn't solve the problem, I was gonna suggest watching your computer remotely. I think there might be some software or something out there that would let you see it from another computer...you could get a screenshot that way.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2004, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by drnkn_stylz:
It's the same color blue as the solid color background supplied with the OS. Apply it to your background and restart, watch the colors and they'll be the same.
Thanks! I'll post my boot screen when I am done. I also tried to make a login screen, but since I have multiple users the usual method does not appear to work (the method for changing the login screen in panther over at www.resexcellence.com.)

Anyway, Thanks all!

R

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2004, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by TheDisaster:
I am fairly certain that this would involve hacking the BootX file.
Hmm... for some reason I had thought that you wanted to change the color, not just get a screen shot of it. Sorry.
|wishing is for suckers|

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2004, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by G0Ducks:
Thanks for this, I'll check it out. I have some crazy ideas for a boot panel. Think Aero
aahhh... i hear ya.

sounds good, can't wait to see what you come up with.

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2004, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by mugget:
aahhh... i hear ya.

sounds good, can't wait to see what you come up with.
Brb, going to double check it, then I'll post what I have

R

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2004, 01:03 AM

Well, the boot screen looks rad. However, I just can't get the blue color. In all actuality, if I had an actual screenshot of the boot screen, I could get around the shadow, the blue color, and I could finally bend the spooon!

Anyway, here it is so far:

click here

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2004, 08:00 AM

oh yeah!! very nice!

i'd try it... but i'm not all that keen on changing my bootpanel too often. but nice work... i'd never thought of doing something like that. i think you've pioineered the way for a whole new approach to the boot panel.

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2004, 02:26 PM

oh yeah!! very nice!

i'd try it... but i'm not all that keen on changing my bootpanel too often. but nice work... i'd never thought of doing something like that. i think you've pioineered the way for a whole new approach to the boot panel.
Well, it looks pretty good. It would look a tone better if I could get the exact blue color. If any coders out there knew witch color it is in the BootX file, please post the hex

R

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2004, 03:54 PM

WahooOo! I found a screenshot! It was over at that CherryOS place, Wintendo peeps taking screenshots of os x running for the first time

So, off I go!

R

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2004, 11:49 PM

What's the status on this? & is there a login panel in the works?

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2004, 05:06 AM

Originally posted by Banghazi:
What's the status on this? & is there a login panel in the works?
Doh! It is actually done

The solution is to make the boot panel as large as your resolution, specially possitioning the "boot screen" portion in a way that captures the "boot info" in just the right way.

I'll post it in a lilly bit I just need to move the bootscreen part about 30 px down, check it, then post...

R

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2004, 07:43 AM

gorgeous. cant wait for that bad boy =) .. soo soo smoooth

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2004, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
gorgeous. cant wait for that bad boy =) .. soo soo smoooth
OK, so here is how I got this to work. All other methods tried (exhaustingly ) didn't work.

1. Make a new image in Photoshop as big as your resolution (i.e. 1280 X 1024)

2. Possition the "BootPanel" image where it needs to be to line up just right with the progress bar and boot strings.

3. Put the image where it needs to go (system/library/coreservices/SystemStarter/QuartzDisplay.bundle/Resources/
Make sure you back up your original first however.

4. Restart and violetteaux * waves hand around *! You have a new boot panel.

The downside to this method is that it makes the boot panel appear a bit more to the bottom of the screen than it should be. Kinda weird really. If anyone figures a way around this by all means share it with us.

If you like, you can edit this PSD file. If anyone wants my absolute original PSD with the aero part in layers, just let me know.

Love to the community,

R

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2004, 09:41 PM

I don't get it. Why don't you just share the .pdf boot panel file soz we can just stick it in that quartzdisplay.bundle nice and easy? I don't recall boot panels being resolution-specific at ResEx..

skimpson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2004, 10:02 PM

i have a question regarding boot panels...does shapeshifter change the boot panels?? bkz i opened up my boot panel and it was for luteium gui which is the theme i have applied right now...but whenever i see my boot panel its the usual standard panther one! just wondering whats up...thanks

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2004, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by skimpson:
i have a question regarding boot panels...does shapeshifter change the boot panels?? bkz i opened up my boot panel and it was for luteium gui which is the theme i have applied right now...but whenever i see my boot panel its the usual standard panther one! just wondering whats up...thanks
Apparently yes. When looking in ThemePark there is a place where one can specify a BootPanel.

As to the other post above, ok. I'll post the PDF tomorrow. Although, it would be just as easy to download the PSD, flatten it, then save it to a PDF...

Anywho, I'll post it tomorrow later. Still, you have been empowered.

R

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2004, 01:44 AM

actaully i don't think that SS does change the boot panel or login panels etc does it?

sure the option is there in TP, but i thought that was since the old days when people applied themes by changing the actaul resources?

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2004, 03:19 AM

actaully i don't think that SS does change the boot panel or login panels etc does it?

sure the option is there in TP, but i thought that was since the old days when people applied themes by changing the actaul resources?
If you do a search on your system for "BootPanel" you will get a ton of returns in the SS cache. For some reason, SS takes into consideration the bootpanel, but doesn't apply them.

Honestly, I wish that there was more interest in themeing the boot and login panels from Unsanity's standpoint. There are parts of the OS that are either really hard to theme, can't theme, or create a bit of a system vulnerability when opened to theming, but one would think that a creative company like Unsanity would figure out a creative way to securely theme things like the boot and login panels.

2.54973 cents,

R

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2004, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by G0Ducks:
If you do a search on your system for "BootPanel" you will get a ton of returns in the SS cache. For some reason, SS takes into consideration the bootpanel, but doesn't apply them.

Honestly, I wish that there was more interest in themeing the boot and login panels from Unsanity's standpoint. There are parts of the OS that are either really hard to theme, can't theme, or create a bit of a system vulnerability when opened to theming, but one would think that a creative company like Unsanity would figure out a creative way to securely theme things like the boot and login panels.

2.54973 cents,

R
SS no longer changes these files. you could also do a search on that. these files are like hardcoded into the os. so changing them around really isnt good for your mac they say. Sure you can do it with a lot of different programs. but SS has decided not to mod any of these such files. Themechanger used to do it.

smeger
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2004, 04:16 AM

ThemePark allows the boot panel to be modified, but that's really just a holdover from the days when ThemeChanger and Duality were still in common usage.

ShapeShifter will not change these because a) ShapeShifter is designed to be per-user and the bootpanel is per-computer and b) ShapeShifter is designed to be safe, and not to change stuff on disk, and APE doesn't run during bootpanel display time, so changing it would require changing stuff on disk, breaking the #1 design goal behind SS.

People periodically suggest an "advanced mode" in ShapeShifter that would change these. I don't have much interest in writing this, because it would be a support nightmare. You can disable ShapeShifter by logging in with the shift key held down, among many other ways. If something goes wrong with a bootpanel replacement, the user needs to reinstall the OS. Not something I want to get into.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2004, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
ThemePark allows the boot panel to be modified, but that's really just a holdover from the days when ThemeChanger and Duality were still in common usage.

ShapeShifter will not change these because a) ShapeShifter is designed to be per-user and the bootpanel is per-computer and b) ShapeShifter is designed to be safe, and not to change stuff on disk, and APE doesn't run during bootpanel display time, so changing it would require changing stuff on disk, breaking the #1 design goal behind SS.

People periodically suggest an "advanced mode" in ShapeShifter that would change these. I don't have much interest in writing this, because it would be a support nightmare. You can disable ShapeShifter by logging in with the shift key held down, among many other ways. If something goes wrong with a bootpanel replacement, the user needs to reinstall the OS. Not something I want to get into.
Zoinks! Thanks for the info. However, it is nearly impossible to break the boot panel. IN fact, I have put flash animations in there (stupidly) in hopes of some kind of animated boot panel. All that happens is the usual info comes up without an image. All that I had to do was put a PDF in there. No OS reinstall necessary.

I think that an advanced mode would be totally schweet. But, if you don't want to do it, I guess we will either have to wait until it is worth your wile, or some other company comes out with a challenger. Which, I really don't think will happen. SS is supreme

Thanks again, smegez. Oh, and thanks for the send and recieve to photoshop! This feature is completely doooooooope!

R

Forum Links
Forum Rules