Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Animation on a 24 inch imac

Animation on a 24 inch imac
arng1
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2006, 05:54 AM

Has anyone here ever used 2-D animation programs on a 24 inch imac? If so, how was the performance? Was there any lagging or sudden stops when working with large files and multiple programs? Such as, ToonBoom, Photoshop, and Illustrator? Any input would be nice, thanks.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2007, 06:25 PM

you might want to try the 'art and graphic design' forum, ToonBoom isn't a common app that many people in the imac/mini forum will know about.. as for photoshop/illustrator, they both run great on the new 24" imacs, and will work considerably better when Adobe CS3 comes out in a month or two (universal/translated for intel). to avoid the lagging you speak of, go with a minimum 2GB of RAM for any serious graphics work. 'lagging' is almost always due to insufficient RAM.
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

arng1  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2007, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by pyrite View Post
you might want to try the 'art and graphic design' forum, ToonBoom isn't a common app that many people in the imac/mini forum will know about.. as for photoshop/illustrator, they both run great on the new 24" imacs, and will work considerably better when Adobe CS3 comes out in a month or two (universal/translated for intel). to avoid the lagging you speak of, go with a minimum 2GB of RAM for any serious graphics work. 'lagging' is almost always due to insufficient RAM.
I agree with you on the memory issue which is why I would only go with 3gb of ram. As for photoshop, I do plan on getting the CS3 suite when it is released, but for now I have the CS2 which is still running through Rosetta, and even on my Mac Pro I have experienced some issues when working with large files. Which is why I upgrade my memory to 4gb, 2gb just wasnt enough. I was hoping maybe 3gb would do fine with all of my necessary applications running. Thanks for the input though, I will try the art and graphic design forum.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2007, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by arng1 View Post
I agree with you on the memory issue which is why I would only go with 3gb of ram. As for photoshop, I do plan on getting the CS3 suite when it is released, but for now I have the CS2 which is still running through Rosetta, and even on my Mac Pro I have experienced some issues when working with large files. Which is why I upgrade my memory to 4gb, 2gb just wasnt enough. I was hoping maybe 3gb would do fine with all of my necessary applications running. Thanks for the input though, I will try the art and graphic design forum.
i should have read your sig.. you obviously know your hardware, and the intel/rosetta situation sorry for the basic advice, i misread your post as that of a novice user for some reason.. expect fairly similar performance to that of your Mac Pro, the L2 cache is now at 4MB up from the previous model iMac, which is great for rosetta performance.

3GB should keep u smiling
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

arng1  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2007, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by pyrite View Post
i should have read your sig.. you obviously know your hardware, and the intel/rosetta situation sorry for the basic advice, i misread your post as that of a novice user for some reason.. expect fairly similar performance to that of your Mac Pro, the L2 cache is now at 4MB up from the previous model iMac, which is great for rosetta performance.

3GB should keep u smiling
dont worry about it, I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules