Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes woes...

iTunes woes...
JonoMarshall
Senior User
Jul 19, 2007, 04:19 AM

So I've moved a few iTunes libraries in my time and like to thnk I know what iTunes gets up to. However, I have a worrying problem!

Last night I moved (change location, copy music accross with consolidate) my iTunes library and everything seemed to go swimingly. However, this morning I've found that certain songs (perhaps a third of the library) wont play, nada, zip, nothing.

There desn't seem to be a uniform file type that isn't working and I'm using a MacBook C2D 2.0 with all updates. At the moment when I try to double click or click and "play" one of the songs in question, it simply does nothing, if I try to copy it out of iTunes it goes to make the file (music file icon appears for a split second) but then it dissapears/doesn't work. The files play fine from within the library folder using other apps (Audacity), but iTunes doesn't play with them anymore?!

I get an error -50 if I try to convert one of the troubled tracks within iTunes?!??

Anyone have any ideas? Broken .xml file? Bad iTunes prefs? (I repaired disk permissions to no avail.)
( Last edited by JonoMarshall; Jul 19, 2007 at 04:27 AM. )

JonoMarshall  (op)
Senior User
Jul 20, 2007, 04:28 AM

Update: The external that held the iTunes files originally has a disk error that cannot be fixed by disk utility (contradicting blocks). Although the external can be navigated as normal, something is corrupt and the music files wont play ball from the old/new location.

I'm going to try and restore the songs from my iPod and see if my library file reamins cocher (seems to be fine currently as all songs/playlists are listed).

Here's hoping I only lose 7,500 songs and a catalogue of movies at best.

Forum Links
Forum Rules