Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac Performance: Stock G3 500MHz vs. FastMac G4 550MHz?

iMac Performance: Stock G3 500MHz vs. FastMac G4 550MHz?
Koralatov
Senior User
Sep 1, 2007, 08:10 PM

Whilst I know it's largely uneconomical to do, I'm still intrigued by FastMac's G3 to G4 upgrade for the slot-loading iMac. I'm also aware that it's not compatible with the model of iMac G3 I have. My question, rather than being about the cost viability of the upgrade, is about the performance boost. In day to day use of Tiger, would ther ebe any really noticeable performance enhancement, or would it largely be the same? (Day to day use consisting of listening to music with iTunes, surfing the internet and doing email, using Word.) Also, how would the DivX/Xvid performance be? It's choppy on the G3--would it be smoother on the G4?

I'd really like to hear from anyone who's taken the leap and had the upgrade done.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2007, 09:45 PM

I did something similar to an old beige G3 tower. It was a 266mhz G3, and I took it to a 500mhz G4. The difference was certainly noticeable. But these days i still dont think it would be enough.
Right now im using a 1ghz G4 powerbook. And even this will bog down just on certain web pages alone (Usually ones burdened down with flash heavy adds). Its only going to be worse with something thats half the cpu speed.
I supposes if you happen to scrape by ok with a G3, then you'll certainly do ok with a G4.
As much as I like tweaking and modding all kinds of things, including macs, I don't think this is something I would choose to do to an old iMac.

Just my 2mhz worth!
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules