Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 2 Hard Drives in 1 eMac????

2 Hard Drives in 1 eMac????
LewArcher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2007, 01:28 PM

I have a 1.0g emac that has a combo drive in it. I am about to put in a superdrive, and a 200gb hard drive. I was looking around the web and found this...

Apple eMac Upgrade Guide

Any one know if I can get a long IDE cable and add the new 200gb HD to the existing configuration? In other words I would have 2 HDs inside of my emac. One drive being the original 40gb plus the new 200gb.
And if so do you think I can fit both inside of the emac? And if so should I have and 2nd power supply for the new 200gb HD? And would the current fan keep everything nice and cool? And how should I arrange the "master" and "slave" thing. And what the **** is CableSelect) anyway? And would I need to deal with it?

Lots of questions, I know. Thanks.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2007, 04:05 PM

I really dont think you'll get 2 drives inside 1 eMac. Unless you somehow butcher in 2 smaller (and slower) laptop drives.
I used that guys website posted above to help when I modded my emac some years ago. I overclocked it to 1.2ghz (1.33ghz was unstable) and threw out the combo drive in favour of a pioneer superdrive. Worked nicely!
Anyway, having spent more time inside an eMac than is healthy, I can be fairly sure that you cant wedge in another hard drive too easily at all.
Really may as well save the hassle and use an external firewire/usb drive. Especially as they are so cheap these days.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2007, 05:10 PM

I can't remember to be honest but I'd be surprised if the HD and optical drive weren't on the same bus. If they are, you can't cononect any more drives, even if you manage to find space for them.

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2007, 06:38 AM

I can't remember to be honest but I'd be surprised if the HD and optical drive weren't on the same bus.
This was answered in the OP link.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2007, 02:11 PM

OK. Thats handy for modding.....

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2007, 09:50 PM

Even the hard drive that ships in the eMac is thinner than average, and installing a new one involves applying a little extra "oomph" to force everything back in place. There is definitely no way you're going to squeeze a second one in there. Just go with an external drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules