Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you believe in karma?

Do you believe in karma?
starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2007, 12:47 PM

To make a long story short:

Got burned by a so-called 'friend' in the beginning of the year. Not going into details.

Yesterday I see on their blog that OOPS, the same thing happened to them except they write "people have a strange way of disappointing you"

ORLY?

So karma has bitten this person in the ass, so far as I'm concerned.

Do you believe in this, or is "karma" just a coincidence?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 26, 2007, 01:02 PM

Not so much. People don't always get what we think they deserve.

pinenuts
Baninated
Location: i have moved to another location per peter's message
Oct 26, 2007, 01:27 PM

karma is a female dog

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Not so much. People don't always get what we think they deserve.
Who says that the consequences that karma metes out would have to have anything to do with what people think?

In as much as karma is an observation on the causal nature of the universe, yes I believe in it. When you get all crazy and start talking about it like it's some sort of intelligence that punishes bad acts and rewards good ones, I say it's a pleasant fantasy.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 26, 2007, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
In as much as karma is an observation on the causal nature of the universe, yes I believe in it.
I don't get it.

When you get all crazy and start talking about it like it's some sort of intelligence that punishes bad acts and rewards good ones, I say it's a pleasant fantasy.
I feel like that was the attitude of this thread. Someone did something bad, they got what they deserved.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 02:22 PM

a jackass decided to verbally abuse an elderly man at the local burger king because he didn't hear the person at the register saying next in line. after the old man sat down the jackass sat next to him and kept on making fun of him and calling him a fag. when the jack ass got his food, one item was a coffee, while the jack ass was leaving, some kids came flying through the door and the jackass spilled his coffee and it fell onto his shoes. of course he called the little kids brats and a few other words; the father had just walked in and the dad got pissed at the jackass and the jackass and him got into an argument. jackass ended up getting punched in the face by the father after he called the guy a stupid n*gger

karma?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2007, 02:30 PM

I just wrote a big long reply that got eaten buy a busy server error. I'm too lazy to write it out again, so you'll all just have to accept it when I say that I completely proved my previous statement to be 100% accurate and that you all agree with and worship me now.

Tithing begins on the first of the new year.

Rumor
Oct 26, 2007, 02:31 PM

I believe in Karma Chameleons

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 02:33 PM

I just wrote a big long reply that got eaten buy a busy server error. I'm too lazy to write it out again, so you'll all just have to accept it when I say that I completely proved my previous statement to be 100% accurate and that you all agree with and worship me now.

Tithing begins on the first of the new year.
you don't use the automatic save post option?

there is no automatic save post option

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2007, 02:35 PM

I'm way to busy for that sort of crap.

Rumor
Oct 26, 2007, 02:35 PM

I'm way to busy for that sort of crap.
But you can post here?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
But you can post here?
What do you think keeps me so busy?

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2007, 03:09 PM

I believe that there are universal standards which are meant to be adhered to and doing so brings positive influence into the life of the person doing right. Likewise I believe that a person ignoring, or willfully abusing those standards loses the privilege of those positive influences and is left to the devices of an unsympathetic world.

Or in the language I prefer: Keeping God's commandments invite the blessings of God, while sin invites both the wrath of God as well as the lack of blessings which may protect you from "bad stuff".

To me, Karma is considered a sort of Universal balance sheet. "Quid pro Quo" if you will. If you behave positively or negatively, you can expect an in kind response for your behavior. The statement "You got this because you did that to me." jives less well for me than "You did something right/wrong, and God who is just and fair, has provided, or not provided something in return."

I guess to many it would look to be the same thing, but I'm cool with that.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Cold Warrior
Oct 26, 2007, 03:21 PM

I believe. I've seen good and bad come full circle. In almost every case, it seems well-earned.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2007, 04:52 PM

Oh my god, I really never knew that those were the lyrics (and name) of that song.

Rumor
Oct 26, 2007, 04:54 PM

What did you think it said?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2007, 05:02 PM

What did you think it said?
I always heard them sing "Charma Kameleons", but I could be wrong

-t

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2007, 05:10 PM

Yes. What goes around, comes around.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 06:41 PM

I believe in what's commonly referred to as "karma" but not necessarily because of some cosmic force ensuring justice in the universe.

People build their own hells around them. They make the beds they sleep in. If you're a dishonest asshole, the world recognizes this and treats you appropriately. If you get involved in shady ****, you will find ugly consequences. People that abuse other's trust will find themselves unhappy and in relationships that are shallow.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2007, 07:22 PM

I believe in karma, but not as a cosmic flyswatter waiting to punish people who things that fall under some classification of "evil." If you punch someone in the face, it is more likely that you will get beat up at some point. If you punch people in the face regularly, it is likely that you will get your ass kicked on a regular basis. It's not that there is some force making judgments about your actions; it's just the actions have effects.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2007, 08:20 PM

I don't believe in karma per-se but I do believe you reap what you sow.

If you continually screwing over people, you will get in the end get screwed over. Most of the time though those folks fail to put two and two together and complain how awful people are w/o realizing they've been doing the same thing.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2007, 03:26 PM

Look at the world around you. Look at where the good guys are and where the bad guys are (in terms of power, richess and sucess). I vote a big no to karma.

Basically if you are the sort of person who can live with shafting all and sundry around you, you will get on, if you aren't and try it you will fail, if you aren't and don't then you'll need a whole pile of luck to suceed.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2007, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
Look at the world around you. Look at where the good guys are and where the bad guys are (in terms of power, richess and sucess). I vote a big no to karma.
Your mistake is assuming that power and riches are the karmic consequence of being nice.
Chuck
___

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2007, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Your mistake is assuming that power and riches are the karmic consequence of being nice.
no, the exact opposite. Only the rare lucky few succeed through being nice (and/or recieving good karma in the process). In the main the worse you are the better you get on.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2007, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
no, the exact opposite. Only the rare lucky few succeed through being nice (and/or recieving good karma in the process). In the main the worse you are the better you get on.
No, the more your actions focus on getting money or power, the more of that you'll achieve. That is karma. The downside, karmically speaking, is that there are much better things in this world than money or power.
Chuck
___

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2007, 04:10 PM

"No, that's Kramer."
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

iM@k
Senior User
Oct 28, 2007, 01:31 PM

Oh man, I am so terribly sorry, my karma ran over your dogma.
What, me worry?

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 4, 2007, 06:27 AM

Karma, we reap what we sow... yes I believe in it. As I have experienced it all my life.

Tiresias
Nov 4, 2007, 06:32 AM

You come and go, you come and go-oh-oh-oh.

Cipher13
Nov 4, 2007, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
a jackass decided to verbally abuse an elderly man at the local burger king because he didn't hear the person at the register saying next in line. after the old man sat down the jackass sat next to him and kept on making fun of him and calling him a fag. when the jack ass got his food, one item was a coffee, while the jack ass was leaving, some kids came flying through the door and the jackass spilled his coffee and it fell onto his shoes. of course he called the little kids brats and a few other words; the father had just walked in and the dad got pissed at the jackass and the jackass and him got into an argument. jackass ended up getting punched in the face by the father after he called the guy a stupid n*gger

karma?
Karma? No. That's a guy being a dick to someone who doesn't take that kinda ****.

Anyway, in my experience, bad **** happens to good people, and good **** happens to bad people. Just as often as the other way around. What a lot of you mistake as "karma" is simply idiotic behaviour resulting in repurcussions. If somebody punches me out of the blue, I'm gonna punch them back. It isn't karma.

"Karma" is a load of crap.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 4, 2007, 07:16 AM

It's as simple as this. If you do bad things, bad thing will happen to you. It's just common sense.

Cipher13
Nov 4, 2007, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
It's as simple as this. If you do bad things, bad thing will happen to you. It's just common sense.
Not by any sort of divine rite though. Simply because one day somebody won't take your crap.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 4, 2007, 08:15 AM

Just to add to this, I believed in Karma and reaping what you sow before I had any spiritual beliefs.

The reason why a lot of people don't learn from their mistakes, or even admit to making mistakes is because they don't believe in such a thing. If something bad happens to them because they did something wrong, well it was just a coincidence. Me doing something wrong again wont cause bad things to happen. And it all goes into a circle, and we don't learn from our mistakes.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2007, 08:49 AM

I believe in Jungle Karma

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 4, 2007, 08:50 AM

What about Jungle Fever?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2007, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
This we agree upon. Especially the "just common sense" part

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 4, 2007, 08:52 AM

Yes, but one could argue what exactly common sense is, and why it exists.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2007, 08:56 AM

Only on early morning highs.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 4, 2007, 09:00 AM

No, that's for existentialism arguments.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2007, 09:02 AM

Yes. That's what I said

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2007, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
Not by any sort of divine rite though. Simply because one day somebody won't take your crap.
Wow, so it isn't a "divine rite" (whatever that is) just like karma isn't a "divine right." Karma is causality, pure and simple.
Chuck
___

Cipher13
Nov 5, 2007, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Wow, so it isn't a "divine rite" (whatever that is) just like karma isn't a "divine right." Karma is causality, pure and simple.
Uh, there's nothing wrong with my use of the term "divine rite", when referencing "Karma" as a 'vengeful force' or somesuch.

And yes, it is causality, which is exactly what I said.

You simply agreed with me.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 5, 2007, 05:00 AM

I wouldn't try to say it was a vengeful force. It's just that bad actions attract bad happenstances. If you plant bad seed, you'll get bad crop. If you plant bad deeds, you'll have a bad life.

No one ever gets away with anything.

AceWilfong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2007, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
I believe in what's commonly referred to as "karma" but not necessarily because of some cosmic force ensuring justice in the universe.

People build their own hells around them. They make the beds they sleep in. If you're a dishonest asshole, the world recognizes this and treats you appropriately. If you get involved in shady ****, you will find ugly consequences. People that abuse other's trust will find themselves unhappy and in relationships that are shallow.
Even with lifetime Secret Service protection?

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Nov 5, 2007, 05:23 AM

I've always linked Karma to the 'wisdom of crowds' thing... do good things and others do good things to you (or just will them to happen)?

There's also the whole 'you get out what you put in' thing.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2007, 11:08 AM

I don't believe in ‘karma’. The only reason ‘bad people’ ever ‘get what they deserve’ is because somebody reacted when they didn't expect them to, or they fụcked up somehow. It's hardly ever proportional when it happens, you just don't know about ninety per cent of what the bastard's been up to and for which he'll likely never receive any form of retribution. If you want to make sure they get what they deserve, you have to do it yourself.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 5, 2007, 11:16 AM

Karma? Nope. It's yet another silly invention by man to explain what they otherwise reject as the truth.

Now if "karma" is a euphemism for God's will... I certainly believe that man pays for his sins.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2007, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post
I don't believe in ‘karma’. The only reason ‘bad people’ ever ‘get what they deserve’ is because somebody reacted when they didn't expect them to, or they fụcked up somehow. It's hardly ever proportional when it happens, you just don't know about ninety per cent of what the bastard's been up to and for which he'll likely never receive any form of retribution.
You also don't know about 90 percent of the retribution they suffer.
Chuck
___

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Karma? Nope. It's yet another silly invention by man to explain what they otherwise reject as the truth.

Now if "karma" is a euphemism for God's will... I certainly believe that man pays for his sins.
Heh, I would put it the other way. If "God's will" is a euphemism for the world working the same way with the same rules it always does, then I certainly believe in it.
Chuck
___

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2007, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post

You're joking, right?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules