Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Do Macs secretly favour WPA over WEP?

Do Macs secretly favour WPA over WEP?
JonoMarshall
Senior User
Oct 8, 2007, 12:17 PM

Is it just me or do all the latest Macs override your decision to encrypt using WEP and use WPA anyway, no matter what you'd like to do?! (I've had these experiences when using: Netgear's latest ADSL router, BT HomeHubs or Orange Liveboxes with MacBook C2Ds?)

You have to disable WPA within the router rather than have mixed encryption and even then you need to setup the connection from System Prefs -> Network, rather than click the Airport icon and simply type away with WEP selected..?

I understand WPA is better, but if you have older Macs that need access too, you can end up in a very frustrating/unintuitive situation, just wanted to have a rant really, but also see if others have experienced similar issues?

Cold Warrior
Oct 8, 2007, 12:23 PM

I think it's smart on Apple's part. If the connection is WPA-capable, WPA should be used because WEP is absolutely not secure — at all. It gives novice users a false sense of security.

JonoMarshall  (op)
Senior User
Oct 8, 2007, 12:39 PM

It's not smart if the "novice user" discovers their WEP details don't work as expected (and as documented in the Mac section of the router's manual! - Orange LiveBox), so they disable any type of encryption altogether?!

I pick "WEP" and the Mac tries and fails to encrypt using WPA... not very "Apple" in my mind.

Cold Warrior
Oct 8, 2007, 01:14 PM

It's not smart, yes, if you choose WEP and the Mac tries to use WPA. It's ignoring what you're trying to do. From your first post, that wasn't clear. It read like it was overriding your choice of WEP to use WPA and was working properly.

If you choose WEP, it should let you do it. Are you sure this isn't a hexadecimal vs Mac norm password issue?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 8, 2007, 05:57 PM

I'll bet it has something to do with the "hex vs text" WEP password issue. Apple, alone in the industry, defaults to interpreting WEP passwords as text and converts the individual characters into their hex equivalents, while everyone else defaults to interpreting the input as hex. Mac users have to either select the "hex" radio button or prepend a '$' on their hex entry to have it interpreted correctly.

And I have to add that WEP is poo on a stick-it should be abolished. Not only are there issues about cross platform usability (as in with key entry above), but it's nearly trivial to break the encryption used by WEP. Sure, if you really want to use WEP you should be able to, but please, DON'T use WEP.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

JonoMarshall  (op)
Senior User
Oct 9, 2007, 04:48 AM

I've tried the '$' approach in combination with the "Select from Airport, then type & go" method. It doesn't work. As soon as the router has mixed encryption disabled it works (with and without '$'s).

I've also found that if you're on a mixed encryption network and setup a WEP encryption from Sytem Pref -> Network, when you next visit/edit your Network priority/password list the encyption states WPA instead which is what led me to believe that the Mac refused to play ball with WEP.

I know WEP's pants, but if you're trying to network old and new Macs what would you use? Currently I'm not broadcasting the Networks, then explaining to friends how to setup and alter a MAC address list and where to input the WEP encryption, etc. It's not important data, they just need secure-ish home networks (London).

A mixed network would be perfect in most situations, but I can't find a stable solution?!

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 9, 2007, 09:28 AM

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...ng information on what may be going on. I can't tell without more information-please update here to let me know if the article is on target or not.

I really wish I could speak to why your hardware is not allowing you to run WEP where you want it to. It doesn't make sense to me, and that bothers me.

Finally, I believe that all AirPort cards (with the right AirPort software) support WPA. See this Knowledge Base article. The limitation is whether or not you've gotten the cards to the appropriate firmware level (AirPort software 3.3) and if the computers are running at least OS X 10.3.

pantsonsteven
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2007, 01:57 AM

Hi, came across this thread while trying to figure out what's going on with my airport extreme. I've set it to broadcast in WEP but I think it's still broadcasting in WPA (I have a widget called air traffic control that scans networks and lists their security type and it's still listed as WPA). In the Preferred Networks list in System Preferences, my network security automatically populated with WPA2 which leads me to believe that it is not broadcasting in WEP regardless of what the Airport Utility says. I've hard reset the unit and created the network from scratch but still the same issues. The reason I need WEP is for an older PC on my network that cannot (I don't think) access WPA networks.

Thoughts?
s.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 8, 2007, 09:05 AM

I'll betcha the PC CAN handle WPA. If it runs XP, the computer itself is not an issue, though your wireless card may need to be updated or replaced. Considering the modest cost of current 802.11G cards that work with PCs, even if you need to buy a new card, it's going to be well worth it. And if your computer still runs Win98, new cards often come with the appropriate software and drivers to make them work with that OS. Moving up to WPA is like putting a high security, foolproof lock on your door instead of just hoping nobody's going to come in just for the heck of it-WEP really is that bad and WPA really is that good.

Ranger14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2007, 06:38 PM

Perhaps I can poke my nose in this thread and get some input. I am on a new MacbookPro and have Leopard installed and just installed Windows XP through Bootcamp. I have been on a Linksys wireless router for the last month and Linksys support helped me get my connection going and had me do it through WEP. Seems to me that sounds like not the best thing from what I am reading. I am able to switch to WPA without speaking to them?

Also when trying to connect to the internet through windows, I can't connect to the server. It shows my profile that I have setup on the mac side and I made sure the proper IP was attached to that network profile on the windows side. It shows I do have connection to the wireless network, but I can't connect to the internet. I have re-powered my router while in Windows mode. Still can't connect. Is this something I should call my ISP or Linksys on?

Thanks!

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 9, 2007, 06:53 PM

Your Windows connection problem has to do with an oddity of how Apple handles WEP keys. If you'd rather stay with WEP (NOT recommended) I'll walk you through the process of connecting with your PC. Otherwise, read on.

Setting up WPA takes simply following the instructions in the manual that came with the router. There's nothing "anti-Mac" about the setup pages in the router, you just need to connect your computer to it with a cable and make sure the computer gets a usable IP address (and if you're already using this router, you probably already have that address), and then plugging "192.168.1.1" into your browser's address bar. You'll get a username/password window; ignore the username and enter "admin" in the password box, then click "OK". Now you're into the configuration system, and you can do anything you need to do.

Give it a try and see what happens.

Ranger14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2007, 12:13 AM

I do appreciate your input. My airport shows connected to 192.168.1.101 I will give the WPA setup a try. I don't have the manual as the router was my old roommates and they left it here. The instructions seem pretty simple as long as I can get through the configurations once logged in. Should be fine.

As to the WEP key on the Windows side, I am not sure if you are referring to not entering the $ sign in prior to my key or WEP password, but I did do that already. It shows full signal on the wireless network connection, but the internet just doesn't want to connect. I will play around with it tomorrow when I am more cognitive. Been a long day. Thanks again for your help!

Update: I hooked up an ethernet cable to my laptop from the router and it shows connected to the IP you gave in your post, but when I put the 192.168.1.1 in the address bar it says it can't connect to the server. I imagine it is best to call Linksys to have them walk me through this or do you have any other suggestions?

New Update: I have everything set for WPA now and the Apple side is working fine. The windows side shows wireless connection is excellent to the right IP/submask and I still can't connect to the internet. I disabled the firewall to see if that would make a difference and it still didn't help. I disconnected the modem and router, reconnected and rebooted and no luck. I am sooo close, but not quite.
( Last edited by Ranger14; Nov 10, 2007 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Update)

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 11, 2007, 08:34 AM

Usually it's the Mac that people complain about not being able to connect with... It's odd that your PC can't connect-especially since it is showing you that it has a good connection strength.

Is the Windows machine getting DNS numbers? Your router should pass them on from the modem, but sometimes stuff just doesn't happen. You can set the DNS addresses to that of your router, (which usually works just fine), or look up your ISP's current servers and plug them in manually (find out what your Mac has for those settings and just plug 'em in). Hopefully one of these will help you out.

Oh, and yes, I was talking about the '$' thing-it's pretty interesting how few people ever heard of that. Almost as interesting as the number of people who still want WEP, knowing how flawed it is.

Ranger14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2007, 02:07 PM

I have been searching a lot and have read about the $ thing. I usually research as much as possible for a solution before posting something on a forum. I appreciate your input and the Windows machine was not getting the DNS numbers. I manually inputted them and also did so in the LAN configuration. If I connect with the Ethernet cable connected and the wireless disabled, I can connect to the internet. If I try to connect using the wireless, it still does not connect. Under tools and internet options in IE I have the LAN settings selected as the other settings are strictly for dial-up correct? It would appear if I can connect with the ethernet cable and can't through the wireless, it would have to be something with my router settings. The IP is 192.168.1.1 and the submask is correct. The DNS servers match what is on my Apple side, so I don't know what else I can do. Guess I don't have to connect to the wireless connection in Windows mode, but it would be nice.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 11, 2007, 05:52 PM

I am beginning to believe that there's something more than just the router's settings getting in the way of your PC's wireless connection. Is it getting an IP in the range 192.168.1.X via wireless? Can you disconnect the ethernet cable and use the ping command to get out at all? (Remember, ping is a command line program-open the Command Prompt application to use it). There are two ways to use ping-try it with a URL like www.macnn.com, and then with an Intenet IP like 207.58.150.187 (which is the correct IP for MacNN). If it only works for the IP, that means that there's still something wrong with your DNS settings. If it works for both, that means you should be able to get out no matter what, and if that's the case, you should try a different browser, like Firefox.

Forum Links
Forum Rules