Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Graphics performance issues seem to be fixed in 10.3.5

Graphics performance issues seem to be fixed in 10.3.5
Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2004, 06:30 PM

Myself amongst others found 10.3.4 to have crippled games performance. UT2004 came off worst for me. Well, It not only has been fixed in 10.3.5, it actually seems a whole lot better than it ever was. Good stuff
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

rareflares
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2004, 06:45 PM

what computer are you running? what kind of framerates are you gettign now (as opposed to before)?

Ciber
Aug 9, 2004, 07:44 PM

It fixed WoW for me. It's now smooth and very playable on my 12" Rev C. No more stuttering and weird flashing graphical glitches.

Grrr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2004, 08:39 PM

12" rev b 1ghz PB was my mac that had problems with UT2004 and 10.3.4. It was so slow that it was unplayable. A quick test on a couple of levels today with 10.3.5 saw me well over 30fps, sometimes 40. But this is with low to medium graphics settings.
I usually play this game on my 1.2ghz eMac (Overclocked) but the 10.3.5 update gave no changes to performance on the eMac.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

sideus
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 10:41 PM

After updating my dual 867, ran some UT2k4 benchmarks. Exactly the same FPS as 10.3.4. What is funny, is I get the same exact FPS on lowest to highest graphical settings. The demo I run always comes out to 14 FPS. Odd. Something must be b0rked in UT itself.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 02:54 AM

Originally posted by sideus:
After updating my dual 867, ran some UT2k4 benchmarks. Exactly the same FPS as 10.3.4. What is funny, is I get the same exact FPS on lowest to highest graphical settings. The demo I run always comes out to 14 FPS. Odd. Something must be b0rked in UT itself.
You're CPU bound. The CPU can't feed the graphics card fast enough. That's why your timedemos are the same across the board.

sideus
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 03:11 AM

I guess it is. But is a 1ghz that much faster? I read posts by other people running at 1ghz pulling in 30-40 fps. Oh well. UT2k4 is the worst of all the games I have. Everything else is smooth as silk.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 08:13 AM

I don't know about UT2k4, but CnC Generals, while it hasn't been bad on my ghz Tibook, certainly needed a speed boost, and it is now running incredibly smoothly on my Powerbook. UT2k3 is running with all the graphics settings maxed-out. Other games that I've tried have all had significant speed boosts. Seems that other people are reporting significant speed boosts in games, and from what I've seen, it's the truth. 10.3.5 seems to be the update for an OS X gamer to have.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 06:14 AM

C&C generals plays much better on my rev C 12in.

xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2004, 07:56 AM

I'm playing Space Colony much better after install 10.3.5 on my eMac GHz / 512RAM!!

Griggsy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2004, 05:20 AM

while c&c does seem smoother its crashing on me after an hour on both my machines (g4/400 modded to 1ghz with ati radeon 64mb and pbook 867) on LAN play, i have run the update, so be warned!
Torn apart by the wood peckers of mistrust t0 not have this happen 2 u visit guinea pig::the life of a mac designer::

a2daj
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Griggsy:
while c&c does seem smoother its crashing on me after an hour on both my machines (g4/400 modded to 1ghz with ati radeon 64mb and pbook 867) on LAN play, i have run the update, so be warned!
Did you check out the crash logs to see what might be causing the crashes? And did you contact Aspyr about it? If it's reproducible, it might be something they can fix.

Griggsy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2004, 03:02 PM

never checked the crash logs to be fair, however, did conatct aspyr, who said they are getting some complaints, and suggested a reinstall which i have done
Torn apart by the wood peckers of mistrust t0 not have this happen 2 u visit guinea pig::the life of a mac designer::

Forum Links
Forum Rules