Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Anonymous vpn service for Mac Os X ?

Anonymous vpn service for Mac Os X ?
DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2006, 06:08 PM

Hi,
I'm interested in preventing my ip address from being logged to every website I visit. I thought of using a anonymous proxy service but I also want my ip address to remain private when running ssh, ftp etc.. and therefore was thinking of using an anonymous vpn service. Finding one that is compatible with Mac Os X is a challenge. Anyone got any suggestions ? Thanks in advance.
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

thesearcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2006, 08:17 PM

cotse? I have yet to try it, but that's probably what I'll use next. Publicvpn is too unreliable for connections. Anonymizer is ok, but it's windoze only.

Mattimus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2006, 08:28 AM

I found a fairly decent service - relatively speaking. It is findnot.com and after 6 months using ip proxylists lists and web proxies it has been a relief. Has 30 servers - about 5 or 6 of which are outside U.S.

Once you've set it up it is very easy to use and SOLID. Connectsx with Internet Connect. Haven't had anyone EVER get thru - smth used 2 happen with others A LOT.

Drawbacks: only about half or less the 33 servers ever work. Also, of those - decent speeds are achievable on only abpout one quarter (but others can ber used still - just slow) so great servers are only about 4 or 5, mediocre 7 or 8, rest don't work MOST of the time (but sometimes do).

ALSO - their IP's are on some BLACKLISTS so for example i couldn't lg on to some sites - just got auto-redirected. Or other sites told me i was on illegal IP. Only happened 2 places really so far. COuldn't log on to privatefeeds.com - redirect. ANd sockisfy has them on blacklist (which is weird) - I was trying to double up protection by using both. Can't do it.

cheers

PS - If you find any other services like theirs please let me know. That's how I came across this post - doing google search trying to find another like findnot - kinda using up the findnot ip's and one site and looking for diff ones.

DevNine  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2006, 04:20 PM

Thanks for the replies. I am considering the Tunneler Pro service from MetroPipe https://www.metropipe.net/ It's a full vpn service however the price is turning me off, between 22 and 33 dollars per month. It uses openvpn so it's cross platform.
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

Forum Links
Forum Rules