Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari woes...

Safari woes...
JonoMarshall
Senior User
Mar 29, 2007, 05:03 AM

This has bothered me for a little while now...

If I have a bookmarked site within a folder, I can't click the drop down arrow within the bookmarks bar and "tab-browse" to the contents within it?

Does that make sense? Anyone found a way around this other than manually opening a new tab and then clicking within your folders to go where you really want?

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2007, 12:46 PM

I don't get what your saying. Are you able to get the menu of items in the bookmark folder by clicking it? If so, is your problem that you aren't able to use the up and down arrows to move between the items in the folder to be able to select a specific bookmark?

voiceofra
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2007, 01:16 PM

You mean "command-click"?
I use this ALL the time to open bookmarks within folders in a new tab. Selecting an individual bookmark will open it in a new tab. If I go to a folder and command-click on the "open in tabs" at the bottom, they all open in new tabs.

[edit] that should be option-click . If I command-click, it replaces open tabs (when you option-click the 'sort bookmarks..' and 'add bookmarks' submenu items change..that's they clue to the new tabs vs replace tabs).
It's 2nd nature, so I don't think about what keys I'm pressing...
( Last edited by voiceofra; Mar 29, 2007 at 01:28 PM. )

JonoMarshall  (op)
Senior User
Mar 30, 2007, 05:03 AM

Heh, I knew I was being vague... I use tabbed browsing all the time, it's great.. but...

If I want to option click a bookmark to open a new tab that works fine.. brilliant.
If I want to option click a folder that contains lots of bookmarks to open them all in new tabs that works fine.. brilliant.
If I want to option click one bookmark from within the folder of bookmarks to open it in a new tab I can't... pants. (Instead it will load the bookmark within my current tab.)

voiceofra
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2007, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by JonoMarshall View Post
If I want to option click one bookmark from within the folder of bookmarks to open it in a new tab I can't... pants. (Instead it will load the bookmark within my current tab.)
Command-click does that for me (though it always DOES make it the front most tab..annoying but livable): Bookmark menu ->someFolder->command-click on someBookmarkitem = new tab opened

JonoMarshall  (op)
Senior User
Mar 30, 2007, 05:55 AM

OK, I've tried all button combos (and settings within prefs), but nothing will get a bookmark that sits within a drop down menu (folder) to open in a new tab... however, I'm starting to think that this is a problem local to me, as I also have issues at times when trying to use the option key within Illustrator or Photoshop... hmmm... the plot thickens... maybe it's time to borrow and test a different keyboard from someone!

Forum Links
Forum Rules