Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Help Please?! Need BBX Mercury iTunes Skin?

Help Please?! Need BBX Mercury iTunes Skin?
JonoMarshall
Senior User
Apr 26, 2007, 04:43 PM

If anyone could give me some pointers, it'd be great.

Bascially I'm ready to try and merge the Shapeshifter file with the iTunes one using GuiKitty and then ThemePark, but GuiKitty just hangs at "Extracting 166 theme variant colors." once the BBX Mercury file is dropped on..?

Why is it that the theme and shapeshifter don't skin iTunes automatically?!? Is there an easier way to do all this?

Many thanks!

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2007, 06:24 PM

Guikitty has not worked since Tigers release....

doccus
Apr 27, 2007, 01:44 AM

The itunes skin is still in there , but it's for iTunes 5 or earlier (remember BBX Mercury 1.5 is a 2005 release)..
Guikitty stalls on any of the guikits that have desktops and or other extras added..regardless of the OS (it's not a Tiger thing)..
It has in fact extracted a full variant..but only the first one..you can still go ahead and make a DLTA out of it and it would work provided the guikit wan't a Tiger one..if it is you'll have missing toollbar buttons etc...and if it's a black theme you'll have black fonts on black menus..
There is a way to fix that but it takes some practice and skill....

If you want to skin iTunes manually you can do it the hard way by copying all the resources that are in the itunes.rsrc file, from the extracted patches subfolder into the itunes.rsrc file from the iTunes.app/contents/resources..you cant just swap them so don't try...the guikit iTunes.rsrc only has the changed resources, which is why they need to be copied into the itunes one.
If you have iTunes 6 or 7 this is , in fact, the *only* way you'll get any iTunes skinning, on any of these older themes..shapeshifter can't just adapt to a newer version of iTunes unless it's updated itself.
It can be done, however, with a bit of work..
I have managed to get itunes 6 skinned with a several themes that no longer were compatible with it...since i use itunes daily i couldn't live with it unskinned sticking out like some aluminum iSore....

JonoMarshall  (op)
Senior User
Apr 27, 2007, 04:04 AM

Guikitty has not worked since Tigers release....
Aww, not so good, but it's nice to have the murky water clear a little...

The itunes skin is still in there , but it's for iTunes 5 or earlier (remember BBX Mercury 1.5 is a 2005 release)..
Remember? I never knew! I'm a bit gutted now, I loved the theme but can't deal with iTunes as it is (well I guess I could, but I don't want to)

There is a way to fix that but it takes some practice and skill....
I have niether of the above, I quit, I've had enough, hmmm.

you can do it the hard way by copying all the resources that are in the itunes.rsrc file, from the extracted patches subfolder into the itunes.rsrc file from the iTunes.app/contents/resources..
I was under the impression that I needed to use GuiKitty to create the folder, to start the 'swapping' process under ThemePark?

If you have iTunes 6 or 7 this is, in fact, the *only* way you'll get any iTunes skinning, on any of these older themes..shapeshifter can't just adapt to a newer version of iTunes unless it's updated itself.
So should I just try and find newer themes that'll skin iTunes automatically? I'm not sure I can be bothered with all this manual malarky? Does anyone know of any newer great themes with black drop down menus, but a slick bright look for app windows, etc?

Tah for the help guys!

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2007, 07:11 AM

GuiKitty is gone but replaced by Tikiug at first blush, a powered up version of GK.

An unfortunately, I think you are going to have to do it all by hand. Good luck keep us posted!!

FB Eye™
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2007, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by JonoMarshall View Post
Does anyone know of any newer great themes with black drop down menus, but a slick bright look for app windows, etc?
Check out Cold and Qure, they might do the job :

http://rookinc.com/Dan/gui.html

doccus
Apr 27, 2007, 04:23 PM

Hmmm ..just DL'd Tikiug and will check it out...thing is..guikitty still works great for me as most of the themes I really liked are a couple years old (heck, that's why i started making my own..)
I dunno what's wrong ..it's like the bottom just dropped out of the new themes well..or is everybody just doing mods only these days?

Kevin
Baninated
May 17, 2007, 10:21 AM

Too bad his theme never got to the OS X. I guess shapeshifter never adopted the features they claimed they would.

It's been what.. 4 or 5 years?

air
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2007, 10:52 AM

where is BBX Omega!?

JonoMarshall  (op)
Senior User
May 19, 2007, 08:29 AM

I settled on Mini Me [link] and Umaso [link] as replacements in the end.

Forum Links
Forum Rules