Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Stupid Apple Store stock level system...

Stupid Apple Store stock level system...
JonoMarshall
Senior User
Sep 17, 2007, 04:42 AM

So every time I need to replace a faulty charger, keyboard, part I trundle over to the Apple Store Bars where they examine the problem and offer a replacement.

However, on the last three occasions they haven't had the part in stock, even though the product is sat there on display in the store. The only option is to buy the unit from the store and then come back into the store 7 days later to refund your original purchase and pick up the exact same item?!!?

Apparently the warranty dept. and the retail store have to maintain there own stock levels which causes the problem, but it seems like extremely bad customer service not to link the two stock levels together?

Sorry to rant, but I detest heading up Oxford Street at the best of times.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2007, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by JonoMarshall View Post
SApparently the warranty dept. and the retail store have to maintain there own stock levels which causes the problem, but it seems like extremely bad customer service not to link the two stock levels together?
AFAIK warranty replacement parts are typically refurbished parts and not brand new so on one hand its understandable that they don't have it in stock. Is it good customer service, I don't think so, especially for small items like power supplies and the like.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 17, 2007, 08:32 AM

What is stocked as repair parts should depend on what is a) expected to be needed and b) what experience shows really is needed. This is never a perfect system, but it's more efficient for the vast majority of customers. As for customer-paid versus warranty repair stock levels, that's a judgment call for Apple, based on what comes in for warranty work versus what comes in broken and otherwise inoperative out of warranty. Again, the idea is to make the best guess for what's going to be needed based on experience. Using maintenance data to determine stock levels is the gold standard for running a repair shop. Now sometimes stock levels are not correct and a shop will run out of a part. This leads to more data points about usage rates and eventually should lead to an adjustment of the stock level-but that doesn't help the people who need that part when it's out of stock.

Sorry you feel you're not being well taken care of by Apple. Ring 'em up and let them know about your problems. It might just lead to some changes.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

JonoMarshall  (op)
Senior User
Sep 17, 2007, 09:14 AM

Ring 'em up and let them know about your problems. It might just lead to some changes.
Did that already, I'm not one just to moan. They now have the chargers back in stock and said that I was probably just unfortunate on the two (Magsafe charger) occasions where the parts weren't in. If it isn't possible for a customer to return to the store (I live in London) they suggested asking to see a supervisor and explaining the situation, as they understood that it can be a crucial item to have.

Still though, you can see what you need on the shelves and have to return to swap your now opened retail item for the exact same (albeit possibly refurbished) item. Tsk.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2007, 01:36 PM

Yeah, it's retarded - and particularly common at Regent Street. Happened to me for a Magsafe charger, too.

Surely it would cost more to process the hassle of the return than just give the customer a retail box? *shrug*

Forum Links
Forum Rules