Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Time Machine over SMB fails

Time Machine over SMB fails
DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2008, 06:50 PM

I enabled time machine over SMB. Time machine can see the network share and has permissions to read and write. However each time I attempt to start a backup I get the following:

Apr 29 23:40:20 d /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[720]: Error 45 creating backup disk image
Apr 29 23:40:20 d /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[720]: Failed to create disk image
Apr 29 23:40:20 d /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[720]: Backup failed with error: 20

Any ideas? This happens on both ethernet and wifi.
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

DevNine  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2008, 06:53 PM

I found the following info, has anyone been able to get time machine and 10.5.2 working?

After applying the 10.5.2 update, you can only back up to an AFP/SMB share if you've set up Time Machine before updating, or (obviously) a Leopard AFP server or a separate hard drive. If you haven't used Time Machine before, the initial backup will fail with something like this in the system.log:<br>
backupd[2262]: Starting standard backup
backupd[2262]: Creating disk image /Volumes/Backup/Macintosh_001122334455.sparsebundle
backupd[2262]: Error 45 creating backup disk image
backupd[2262]: Failed to create disk image
backupd[2262]: Backup failed with error: 20
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2008, 02:24 PM

Easy to see why it's not supported, but I however did get it working.

Open Disk Utility and create a New Image.
Set the options for the disk image in this order:
Image format: Sparse bundle disk image
Partitions: No partition map
Volume size: Custom (enter the size that you want it to be able to expand to)
I can't remember if setting the volume name matters or not, but if it doesn't work at the end of this you can come back and try it.

Save it to your local computer with a name of your choice, it won't take up the amount of space that you just allotted to it so don't worry.

Now copy it to the SMB drive you want to use. Rename the file to the filename that Time Machine wants to use, in this case Macintosh_001122334455.sparsebundle.

Start the Time Machine backup on the SMB drive and it *should* work fine, albeit slowly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules