Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Netscape 6.2 gone mad!

Netscape 6.2 gone mad!
Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2002, 08:09 AM

Yes yes, I know, I should have gone to IE instead after I junked Netscrape 4.7..

Anyway.. The other day, I booted Netscrape 6.2.2 and it looked like someone had been messin with the prefs.. The browser window defaulted to a tiny one. The search function kept coming up (I normally dont use it). And the worst bit, is my Email, Where it would normally say "Inbox" "Sent" "Trash" etc etc.. is nothing! It's all blank, But Email still works.

Good sense tells me this is probably just a corrupt prefs file someplace.. Right? But which one do I trash?? Netscape 6.2 puts fricken files all over the place (Spookily PC like!).

So any help will of course be much appreciated..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2002, 08:52 AM

Screw IE...Screw Netscape...
MOZILLA is the way to go. It is a rock solid browser. the only time I have to use IE is sometimes a secure web site doesnt support Mozilla...but most do. Mozilla is the best. Now that they have Silk which adds Antialiased text to all apps..there is no reason to even use Chimera anymore either in my opinion. iCab isn't a bad choice either...but Mozilla is my default browser until something better comes along...and it doesnt look like there is anytime soon.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2002, 08:55 AM

not to mention Mozilla is not loaded down with bloated crap like AOL does to Netscape. Never understood why AOL messes with Mozilla when they convert it to netscape. Mozilla is friggin fast and Netscape is dirt slow. They both use the Gecko rendering engine...so they should be the same. Bad AOL. Leave the big lizard alone. It's great like it is.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

<anonymous>
Jun 14, 2002, 10:01 AM

Uninstall NS 6 and d/l, install and try NS 7. It's working real well on a D-Hell, but your mileage may vary on the Mac.

Grrr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2002, 06:08 PM

If it wasn't for the fact that more and more websites refused to work with netscrape 4.7, i'd still be using it now. I had heard that netscrape 6 was crap. So i steered well clear of it. But by the time 6.2 came out, I was hearing much better reports about it. The browser works very well for me. And Email is ok, once you fight your way past the laughably bad set up bugs.

Anyway, it seems my problem would be fixed very easily if i knew what prefs file to trash. As basically, Netscape seems to not remember any of my previous prefs. Like default window and seperator size etc. I can change it back to how I like it. But when I launch it next time, it's all screwed once more.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2002, 07:38 PM

Get Mozilla, you will like it. it's netscape with out the Netscrap.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2002, 08:36 AM

If you're running OS X, look for 2 files - ~/Library/Mozilla/Application Registry and ~/Library/Preferences/Mozilla Registry. They may say "Netscape" instead of "Mozilla" but both browsers make use of these files. Trash them, then restart Nutscrape. You will need to tell it what profile you're using, but all the rest of your settings will be preserved.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Grrr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2002, 02:12 PM

Does Mozilla have a built in Email client tho? I kind of like the convenience of having it all in 1 app. And it worked fine in Netscape 4.7 & 6.2 until very recently.

Malvolio, Sorry, I should have mentioned that this is in OS 9.2.2

VValdo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2002, 06:43 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Grrr:
<strong>Does Mozilla have a built in Email client tho? I kind of like the convenience of having it all in 1 app. And it worked fine in Netscape 4.7 & 6.2 until very recently.

Malvolio, Sorry, I should have mentioned that this is in OS 9.2.2</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Yes. Mozilla has an email client built in-- and a really really good one. Not to mention a news reader, an address book, and a chat program (not sure if this is in the os 9 version or not, but I think it is).

Try it. You will definitely like it. Just make sure that you chuck all your netscape 6.2 preferences & settings first... This is an important step..

Grrr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2002, 10:40 AM

Hiya, I Dl'd Mozilla 1.0 and installed it on my old 8200 just to try out. Was a bit slow on that poor old mac tho! But it seemed exactly the same as Netscape 6.2! Yes I know i should not be surprised, as i knew Netscrape had Mozzila underpinnings. But still..
If they are essentially the same program, wont that mean I'll get the same problems?
I do like the look of Mozzila tho..

Forum Links
Forum Rules