Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Is it time to gid rid of rich white men as the US president?

View Poll Results: Time for someone as president of the US without a silver spoon in thier mouth?
Poll Options:
Yes 6 votes (54.55%)
No 3 votes (27.27%)
Not sure 2 votes (18.18%)
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll
Is it time to gid rid of rich white men as the US president?
Rumor
Jun 23, 2006, 06:11 PM

I was thinking about this a little bit. What if perhaps we had someone from the middle class or lower class work thier way to becoming the president? Would they not be more in tune with real social issues? We've always had upper class white males hold this posistion that aren't really a part of what most of us know as reality. Perhaps we need a president that didn't come from an Ivy League school, but from the School of Hard Luck. Someone who actually had to work to achieve thier goals.
( Last edited by Rumor; Jun 23, 2006 at 06:19 PM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 23, 2006, 06:18 PM

The thing is Rumor, by the time they reach such ability, they are no longer middle class.

Rumor  (op)
Jun 23, 2006, 06:21 PM

Point taken. Don't you think that someone that was born into poverty and worked thier way up would have a different view on things than someone who was born into money?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2006, 06:40 PM

It is a false assertion that most American presidents were born rich. In fact, few were.

Certainly FDR, Kennedy, and Bush were born wealthy. But Reagan, Ford, Johnson, Hoover, Eisenhower, and Carter were not.

By the way, I didn't vote in your poll, because the question was based on false information.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2006, 06:50 PM

Ronald Reagan was from a lower-middle class background (father was a drunk, etc).

(I was beaten to it)

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2006, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Ronald Reagan was from a lower-middle class background (father was a drunk, etc).

(I was beaten to it)
Clinton too, no?

Jeff Lebowski
Jun 23, 2006, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Busemann
Clinton too, no?
Yes, I believe he grew up somewhere in the south in a less-than-wealthy family.

darth-vader000
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2006, 08:33 PM

Being rich is not a sin, many rich people have worked hard for their fortunes. Also it takes a lot of money to get into congress or the presidency. Political office is for the most part a position atained by the powerful and the powerful are rich. Besides how will you stop it, seems kind of silly to have a net worth constraint.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2006, 08:37 PM

Presidents from rich families tend to Think Big: New Deal, Moon Mission, End Tyranny in the World, etc.

I suppose Reagan and Bush 1 would be exceptions to this. The former definitely spoke in grand terms while the latter didn't have a legacy apart from saving Kuwait (very respectable of course). But by and large, presidents with middle class sensibilities are happier to live with the status quo, as did Clinton, Carter, Ford, Nixon, etc.

The lofty dreams of rich presidents rub some people the wrong way but history is generally kind to them.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 23, 2006, 10:26 PM

How about rich white women?

Personally, I like the big yellow bird...

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2006, 04:49 PM

I don't vote based on the age or skin color of a candidate. Period.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules