Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Gay roommates

Gay roommates
ambush
Banned
Jun 24, 2006, 11:44 AM

My girlfriend and I found the coolest appartment (in colocation) in Paris. It's in Montmartre, the building is beautiful and chic, the appt itself is perfect, everything is in good condition, etc. the price was also convincing. And the roommates looked like cool, young persons.

It's been a week now.

And we have yet to spend more than 5 minutes talking to the roommates.

They are gay and for that reason, they have NO interest whatsoever in straight persons. It really sucks. We tried to speak to them, but they really don't want to speak to us. It's ****ing annoying. We're also stoners (I told them). I even asked them where I could get some weed, but they never helped us (how low is that?)

It's my first co-location. I thought roommates should know eachothers and that friendship would easily develop (come on, one guy is a mac user, we pretty much have the same age and the same interests/opinion.)

But since we're not homosexual, they are just ignoring us. And it's making our stay pretty... annoying.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2006, 11:48 AM

I wouldn't want a stoner as my roommate either, no offense.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2006, 11:50 AM

Wow. They're homosexual and you're drug addicts. Sounds like one place I don't want to live...
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by stwain2003
Wow. They're homosexual and you're drug addicts. Sounds like one place I don't want to live...
Haha nice

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2006, 12:02 PM

That sucks. Any chance of finding who in the building is moving out so you can take that other unit?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2006, 12:03 PM

Post of the Day™.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2006, 12:09 PM

Maybe they just don't like you regardless of anyone's sexual orientation.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2006, 12:14 PM

Bake them some brownies, wait about 20 minutes, and then go hang out with them.

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit
Maybe they just don't like you regardless of anyone's sexual orientation.

nexus5.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2006, 12:24 PM

The french roomies are stoners too, if you missed it from the original post.

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 24, 2006, 12:31 PM

Maybe they were hoping to make a abercrombie and fitch commercial with the new roomies, and now they can't.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2006, 12:34 PM

Post pictures of the place, so we can stereotype them, and you too.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2006, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Maybe they were hoping to make a abercrombie and fitch commercial with the new roomies, and now they can't.
Why can't they? IIRC, Ambush is pretty photogenic.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

hadocon
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2006, 12:37 PM

They sound like jerks. I'm strait and I have lots of gay friends - none of them make any issue out of other people's sexual orientation. Your roomates are totally bigoted.

On the plus side - Paris is big, and you should not worry about your roomates. Just write them off and deal with yourself. Pretend that they are not there. If they actively harrass you try a litle clandestine sabotage. If you just ignore them I;m sure it will make them feel like **** too. Try it!

Maybe it's because you are Quebecios? - I'm an Ontarian and I studied French for 11 years and all of my teachers were Parisian. Almost all of them told me to never get a Quebecios accent as it does not go over will in France. One teacher in particular related the Quebecios accent with Parisian as Cockney is to Queen's English. For some reason some people like to think that they are better than those who speak with a "New World" or "Working Class" accent.

Sometimes I have found it useful to keep gay peole guessing about my sexual orientation. "Is he gay?" <-- that question keeps them interested as suddenly I'm an enigma. Maybe they can have some fun with me, maybe not. Perhaps if you show that you are open to them they might warm-up to you?
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

hadocon
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2006, 12:39 PM

P.S. a Week is not that long of a time.... Maybe it will take them some time to get past your foreign-ness.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 24, 2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
Why can't they? IIRC, Ambush is pretty photogenic.
The ones I have seen were pretty homoerotic. *shrug*

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2006, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by ambush
I even asked them where I could get some weed, but they never helped us (how low is that?)
The bastards!

But seriously,

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2006, 12:56 PM

This thread is over the top.

We've got a drughead complaining about gays?

I think the gay kids are discriminating and know a bad thing when they see it, that's all.

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 24, 2006, 01:02 PM

They are pot heads too Cody.

darth-vader000
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2006, 01:05 PM

Maybe your just being paranoid - weed does that to you ya know.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2006, 01:11 PM

Ambush, it's prolly nowt to do with them being gay. It's prolly to do with them being French. Not the most helpful of people, especially Parisians.

Guess who once spent five hours in the back of a taxi one Saturday morning trying to get a room in Paris? Yep. Paris was full. Not one of the buggers would give me a hand to check for empty rooms at other hotels.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ambush  (op)
Banned
Jun 24, 2006, 01:12 PM

I said me and my roommates are stoners. They smoke and I'd like to smoke.
I'm not a drug addict.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2006, 01:17 PM

I said me and my roommates are stoners. They smoke and I'd like to smoke.
I'm not a drug addict.
It's amazing how some people can smoke pot every day for 10 years without ever becoming addicted, isn't it?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

ambush  (op)
Banned
Jun 24, 2006, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
This thread is over the top.

We've got a drughead complaining about gays?

I think the gay kids are discriminating and know a bad thing when they see it, that's all.

this is the room

The building is equally nice.

Kerivit, how can they not like me? We've been extra nice/polite with them, plus we haven't even TALKED for more than 5 minutes. We are silent and we do the dishes on time. Plus, we buy good food (they ONLY eat bio/vege, it's depressing) that they eat. And we bought beer and they drank some of it (50%).

Yeah, depressing.

ambush  (op)
Banned
Jun 24, 2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
It's amazing how some people can smoke pot every day for 10 years without ever becoming addicted, isn't it?
I haven't smoked any weed in 3 weeks and I'm not craving or anything. I'm just saying it'd be nice to have some weed.

ambush  (op)
Banned
Jun 24, 2006, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Ambush, it's prolly nowt to do with them being gay. It's prolly to do with them being French. Not the most helpful of people, especially Parisians.

Guess who once spent five hours in the back of a taxi one Saturday morning trying to get a room in Paris? Yep. Paris was full. Not one of the buggers would give me a hand to check for empty rooms at other hotels.
OTOH, the lady who took care of us the first week was the nicest person I've met. She accepted us in her tiny appartment, she invited us to her work (she is the director of a small museum), etc. etc. w/o asking for any money.

I don't know, I'm pretty sure the roommates I have snub non-gays in general. That would not be an unique case, anyway.

And don't get me wrong, I've been with totally cool homosexuals.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2006, 01:28 PM

In all seriousness ambush it probably has to do with them being Parisians. I've been given the shaft so many times in that city when it comes to hotels and restaurants.. they just don't like anybody who looks foreign.

Too bad because its a nice looking flat.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2006, 01:39 PM

It has nothing to do with sexual orientation and probably everything to do with the fact that you're from Quebec. The French think of French Canadians as peasants, mostly because of how Canadians speak French. According to a group of Parisians I spoke with years ago, they said that Quebecer's speak with an accent similar to what French farmers probably had over 300 years ago.

That's quite an insult. I'm just telling you what they told me. Sounds as if your roommates are snobs.

You might want to consider some elocution lessons to lose that accent (ala Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady).

ambush  (op)
Banned
Jun 24, 2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Spliff
It has nothing to do with sexual orientation and probably everything to do with the fact that you're from Quebec. The French think of French Canadians as peasants, mostly because of how Canadians speak French. According to a group of Parisians I spoke with years ago, they said that Quebecer's speak with an accent similar to what French farmers probably had over 300 years ago.

That's quite an insult. I'm just telling you what they told me. Sounds as if your roommates are snobs.

You might want to consider some elocution lessons to lose that accent (ala Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady).

Actually, when the girl (from whom I am renting the room) asked for one of the roommate's permission to let us in (e.g. go ahead and rent the room), she said "I love Québécois!".

The other day, while searching a job, I was complimented on how beautiful my accent was.
My girlfriend, who's already got a job, gets compliments everyday as well.

So it's really not the Québécois fact, trust me. Plus, I can't speak perfect parisian French.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2006, 01:53 PM

So it's really not the Québécois fact, trust me. Plus, I can't speak perfect parisian French.
Then they're either snobs or just leery of you. Hell, it's only been a week. Introduce a new cat to a household and the existing cat(s) usually needs more than a week to accept the newcomer.

pooka
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2006, 02:01 PM

And we bought beer and they drank some of it (50%).
Dude, for real, beat the **** out of them. Has nothing to do with them being French, gay or snobs. Just the fact that they're pricks AND drank your damn beer. I'm sorry but it's all over at that point.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Spliff
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2006, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by pooka
Dude, for real, beat the **** out of them. Has nothing to do with them being French, gay or snobs. Just the fact that they're pricks AND drank your damn beer. I'm sorry but it's all over at that point.

pooka
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2006, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Spliff
Introduce a new cat to a household and the existing cat(s) usually needs more than a week to accept the newcomer.
Well, thats oversimplifying the process a bit. It usually takes felines approx 5-10 days to negotiate which party gets to steal the first born child's soul and or suffocate it while it sleeps. Negotiations can go on much longer in certain situations and can sometimes result in the parties failing to reach an agreement.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2006, 02:42 PM

Or maybe they just don't like ambush. I wouldn't want to live with him.

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 24, 2006, 02:57 PM

We are silent and we do the dishes on time.
Good Boy.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2006, 02:58 PM

Ida know ambush, just ignore them too.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2006, 03:59 PM

How bohemian.
So you're actually living there now ? Not just for the holidays ? We're in the proces of moving out of France, our familiy/company. We're sick of them. Doing business in France sucks. The people and banks are absolutely retarded and the bureaucracy is mind boggeling. But it's fun when you're young.

As for those people. Well they ARE Parisiens. Paris is another country than France IMHO. It's an island.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2006, 04:13 PM

Ya France for the most part is rather pleasant. In my experience, Brittany and Rhone-Alps-Provence are especially inviting. Paris has lots of eye candy but the people are incredibly rude, moreso than Londoners or New Yorkers even.

Goldfinger, where are you moving your company to?

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2006, 04:20 PM

only a week, give it time.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2006, 04:33 PM

Send them an iChat invite. Works with my wife when she's working in the office and I'm in the living room.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2006, 05:01 PM

I always thought ambush was gay....

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 24, 2006, 05:17 PM

What makes you think that ? It's not like he posts pics like this on the internet

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2006, 05:20 PM

give it time, some people can be reserved at first.

could be any number of reasons.

+ they're Frogs

spauldingg
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2006, 06:09 PM

Ya know, just a thought, and taking the foriegn/gay/Paris-Quebeqois thing out of it for a minute...

Maybe they are trying to give you your own space, especially in such a small space, and are letting you acclimate to them? Just being devils advocate here, I have been the "stranger" roommate, and have had "stranger" roommates, and unless we have mutual friends or obvious similar interests, CD collections or books they see me put out, then we have usually just let each other live our lives. And then when we have to interract, (paying rent, choosing tv shows, dealing with the landlord/apt), then slowly conversations, and usually friendships evolved.
“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt

darth-vader000
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2006, 06:12 PM

They smoke and I'd like to smoke.
I'm not a drug addict.

right, you do drugs but your not a drug addict. Denial is not just a river in egypt.

spauldingg
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2006, 06:17 PM

Darth.

Get over yourself.

And this coming from a guy idolizing the "Dark Side."
Also: read the apostrophe thread.

Judge not lest ye be judged.
“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt

ambush  (op)
Banned
Jun 24, 2006, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Angus_D
Or maybe they just don't like ambush. I wouldn't want to live with him.
But then again you're a bisexual misfit with borderline schizophrenic perversions

ambush  (op)
Banned
Jun 24, 2006, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by darth-vader000
right, you do drugs but your not a drug addict. Denial is not just a river in egypt.
If you can't understand the difference between a drug user and a drug addict, I'd rather end this conversation right now.

I thought about it and yeah, I'll give them one more week. I'll try to be even more "sympa" with them (if that's possible). I'll try to start more conversations. I'll try hard.

But if it fails, damn that's going to suck. I'll start being a pain in their parisien-frustrated-lesbian-who-doesnt-shave ass. ^_^

Anyway, for the record, I've IDed three types of gays in my life:
- Cool 50-something party gays. Always kind, always want to party, always funny. My mom's friends are like that and even though I'm not gay, we can have a nice discussion. SWG probably fits in that type as well.

- Frustrated-lets-not-talk-to-straight-people gays. They think us straight persons are not interesting, that they cannot be friends with other people unless they're gay. My roommates are like that.

- Weird gays. Salty is like that.
( Last edited by ambush; Jun 24, 2006 at 06:26 PM. )

darth-vader000
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2006, 06:31 PM

If you can't understand the difference between a drug user and a drug addict, I'd rather end this conversation right now.
I know the diff its actually pretty easy, an addict is one who knows he has a problem (either recovering or not) a drug user is someone who is denial and thinks doing drugs is ok and can quit when ever he(or she) wants to but the funny thing is they never do (or cannot because they're addicted)

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2006, 06:31 PM

Have you tried fellating them?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Forum Links
Forum Rules